Send Topic Print
I did it (Read 1648 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
I did it
Apr 8th, 2009 at 10:12am

Yesterday I made a sling that's just shy of 4' of 1/3 very thin sisal and 2/3 thin jute.  From using the Appu or string style sling I'm used to just chucking the projectile with no twirling at all.  It's an OK style for in the woods on the skinny trails... fast, relatively accurate, but limited in range to, at least for me, at best 150 yards.  I topped out at that style and my only hope for more rage is a longer sling and a twirling style though I'll always carry a shorter sling for the woods and skinny trails. 
    So I made the longer sling, Rockman style, and it terrified me because of my lack of controll when twirling or rotating.  The rock was falling out and landing anywhere, and with two Huskies in tow that's not a good thing. 
    This morning I slung some pine cones around the back yard with the new sling.  This was a good thing because they fall out easier than rocks.  After our walk this morning around the park I put the Huskies in the car, walked a good distance from the car and tried my hand with large rocks.  The first three shots were terrible, but the stone didn't fall out and it at least went in the intended general direction. The next four or five were things of beauty, with each shot a bit better than the last. 
   I'm still very afraid to try it around the dogs, because they're always moving around, but now the door is opened to me for much more power and distance.  The last few shots were just so effortless, rocketing over the trees... it was amazing.  I can't wait to get out and try it again.  I thank you all for your help and advice in getting to this point.  I owe a debt of gratitude to Rockman, David Morningstar, (great vids on youtube) Aussie, mrboss, and many, many others.

Rat Man

IP Logged

Mr. Boss
Funditor

Slinging Depleted Uranium!

Re: I did it
Reply #1 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 12:37pm

I have the same problems all the time when using certain tecniques (usually sidearm and other helecopter tecniques), it doesnt matter what shape the rock is, but it always falls out of the pouch wile doing a windup!  Cry I guess Ill have to actually pay for leather this time and make a bigger pouch...

Slings can be more powerful than a 45.&&&&┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐&&&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 12:58pm

Nice one - good to see you're making progress.

Huskies eh ?
Well the next step is to harness them up to a rig and go chariot slinging !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 2:00pm

Congratulations Rat Man, you seem pleased with yourself and that's the most important thing.
Keep slinging and good fortune to you Mr.

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 4:33pm

That really does paint quite a picture, curious-aardvark!  Not that this has anything to do with slinging, but I have two beautiful Huskies, a huge snow white male, Odin, (80lbs) and a stunning "standard" female, Kali, both blue eyed.  And yes, Rockman, I was rather pleased.  From almost the get go I've been able to sling reasonably well (at least I thought so) considering my lack of experience, but I've never been able to do much with any of the regular stlyes where you rotate the sling.  My closest was the underhanded, but I didn't have as much distance as when I just chucked it straight overhanded with no wind up.  Today was the first time I really sent one through the stratosphere using the helicopter style.  It felt quite good to finally get it after all of these months.

IP Logged

Alsatian
Descens

Reply #5 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 5:25pm

Rat Man wrote on Apr 8th, 2009 at 10:12am:
The rock was falling out and landing anywhere

In this case either the pouch isn't that good or you made something wrong like twirling too fast so that you lost the control.

IP Logged

justgeorge
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Provo Utah
Reply #6 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 8:17pm

Cool!!!  Cool trying new things and when it works that all the better

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Apr 8th, 2009 at 8:55pm

The fact that I did eventually get it right, at least some of the time, indicates that my problem is technique, I think.  I went out again for a bit after supper and after I settled down I got off a few more good ones.  Practice, practice, practice..... I feel like I'm on the right track now.

IP Logged

Et Cetera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks Into Windows!

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 4:44pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Apr 8th, 2009 at 12:58pm:
Well the next step is to harness them up to a rig and go chariot slinging !

lol I can picture that for some odd reason, cruising down my street, terrorizing people in cars  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15)