Must Read Topics (Read 2917 times)
Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Must Read Topics
Mar 25th, 2009 at 10:02pm

Hello,
As you may have noticed i havent posted alot in this section, the history of the sling.

If someone asked me, can you tell me a little into the history the the sling, i would only know about the David and Goliath story, that's common knowledge amongst people.

Ill get to the point,

Can we make a list of the 'Must read history of the sling topics" where we can list the most significant articles as the name suggests.  
I understand that we have a couple of articles on the homepage already.

This can help people such as me, whom don't know much about key history of the sling.

Thanks, camo.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Re: Must Read Topics
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 8:08am

Two starting points:

-M. Korfmann, "The Sling as  Weapon", Scientific American, October 1973, 34-42, has a lot of the sources, some notes on velocity (and his argument that sling and bow were mutually exclusive in prehistory)

-W. K. Pritchett, Greek state at War, vol. 5

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 9:41am

read the wiki Smiley
covers pretty much everything we know.
http://www.slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2009 at 3:58pm

I'd add the piece by Thom Richardson (Ballistics of the sling) on this website-- the article accompaied a programme for the History Channel in the US. He learned to sling during his excavation work on a Celtic hillfort !

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 3:39am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Mar 26th, 2009 at 9:41am:
read the wiki Smiley
covers pretty much everything we know.
http://www.slinging.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Wish it did! Grin

It will when it gets put together, but it isn't there yet IMHO.

Another 'must read' - I don't have the time to look up a current valid link, but one came from David Morningstar a few months ago - is the paper by Dohrenwend. "Forgotten firepower of antiquity".

A number of us have .pdfs of this (for private use of course!).

These links ought to get summarised somewhere...

Oh yes! the WIKI. Read it! Contribute!

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2009 at 6:01pm

thanks guys!

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 1:33pm

See Below
Camo-sling wrote on Mar 25th, 2009 at 10:02pm:
Hello,
As you may have noticed i havent posted alot in this section, the history of the sling.

If someone asked me, can you tell me a little into the history the the sling, i would only know about the David and Goliath story, that's common knowledge amongst people.

Ill get to the point,

Can we make a list of the 'Must read history of the sling topics" where we can list the most significant articles as the name suggests.  

WMA: Yeah we are slowly working on it, but as most of the people in this section of the forum are not professional sling historians, we can only move so fast, and sometimes all we have are bits and pieces of information. An example is the available information on the Cortaillod sling

I understand that we have a couple of articles on the homepage already.

WMA: Yeah but again it seems that the articles are limited. I have sent several 30 + page pages to Chris on the research I am doing

This can help people such as me, whom don't know much about key history of the sling.

WMA: You could always ask questions on this subforum, here we are more about the history than anything else. Tell ya what send me a e-mail and I will send ya the articles I sent chris on the medieval Balearic Slings and an Overview of NW European and Iberian penisula Slings in the Medieval and Rennisance era.

Thanks, camo.

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)