Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Commercially Available Slings (Read 6145 times)
4accord
Descens

Commercially Available Slings
Feb 18th, 2009 at 10:53pm

I would like to propose a new section in which members can ONLY post known sites for ready made slings.  It seems many people (especially newbies like me) are looking for where they can buy one from someone who knows what they are doing, rather than only be making our own with no experience.

I only know of two such sites (though I cannot be sure they are still active or have the items in stock):

Peruvian slings at $15: http://www.shamansmarket.com/-strse-580/Alpaca-Sling/Detail.bok

Tibetan slings at $6: http://www.amdocraft.com

Thanks for considering starting a new section.  To only start a new thread in the trading or general forum might lead to it getting lost and hard to find.

All best, and many thanks to our moderators for all you do to make this site so fabulous!

Cords, pouch, stone, and time -&&Today, just as yesterday,&&Ages stand as one.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Commercially Available Slings
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 8:38am

well generally we're against buying slings.
Apart from the cultural items like the south america slings - the quality of slings advertised on the internet tends to be a lot lower than one you could make yourself in a few minutes.

Given that all you need are 2 bits of string and some strong fabric (or a plastic bag lol) the commercial selling of slings is usually a major rip off.

If you would like to start a thread in the general section - go ahead. there are quite a few that deal with slings for sale - and generally we're quite derisive of the quality and price.
But again people have posted sites where you can buy some decent cultural slings.

HOWEVER. The best way to get a quality sling at a good price is simply to ask a forum member who makes them and either swap something (in the trading section) or make a deal with them via Private Messages.  

If you see a sling design you like simply ask the person who made it what they would like to make you one.
I know this works as all my braided and fancy slings were acquired this way Smiley

But we're not going to set up a seperate section for people selling slings. Hopefully the above will solve that problem for you anyway Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 7:59pm

Thanks very much for your helpful reply.  I see your point.  I was hoping there was a place to buy really high quality traditional slings - like the Balearic fiber types - slings that seem to require lots of time and lots of skill to make.  If you, or any Forum member, know of a quality commercially available sling, I would be interested to know.   I could also see value in Forum members sharing their bad experiences, so that others don't waste time and money on slings that aren't worth it.  I know some of this is embedded throughout the general discussion section, but it is not so easy to find.  So I still think a section for postings about commercially available slings - the good, bad, and ugly - might be hepful to Forum members.  All best!

IP Logged

AmdoCraft

Tibetan Handicrafts

Xining, China
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 10:27am

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum, but not new to making slings. We, as Amdocraft, are selling Tibetan Slings already for a number of years. Our company is based in Qinghai (western China) and we started marketing the Tibetan Slings as part of an income generating project in 2001. We do not have a factory, all our producers work at home. The Tibetan nomads have made these slings for many years, but never for commercial purposes. They make them, so that they can herd their yaks, goats and sheep with them.  The ones that we now have posted on our website and that we are selling in our two AmdoCafes (Xining and LangMusi) are all made by Tibetan nomads themselves.  Some Tibetans will make the Slings with colored yarn, but we have chosen to only buy and sell the ones out of natural yak and sheep wool.   We have about 20 nomads that made slings for us.  See also our website:  www.amdocraft.com  The slings posted at our webshop are 6US$,  incl. worldwide shipping.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2009 at 7:47pm by Curious Aardvark »  
IP Logged

Lycurgus

[ch924][ch927][ch923
][ch937][ch925] [ch923][ch913][ch914
][ch917]

Coventry, England
Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 3:51pm

I ordered a sling from Amdocraft about 4 weeks ago.

I am still waiting for delivery  Cry and will keep you all posted.

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.&&&&Remember - You are unique.............just like everybody else.
IP Logged

AmdoCraft

Tibetan Handicrafts

Xining, China
Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 8:49pm

Hello Lycurgus,

I know about your order and I have emailed you saying that due to Chinese NewYear holliday the delivery would be delayed, unless your order is urgent.  I mailed your order 5 days ago, so you don't have to wait too long anymore.  Let me know when you get it,
www.amdocraft.com ;   
Klaas

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 1:38am

thats a nice looking sling there

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 6:27am

The Tibetan slings are really quite nice and you can't beat the price.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 7:24pm

Quote:
I was hoping there was a place to buy really high quality traditional slings - like the Balearic fiber types

So contact balearic slinger. You're just not listening dude.
The makers are HERE - talk to them !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

4accord
Descens

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 11:14pm

Hi, curious_aardvark (and fellow slingers).  Since we started this thread, I have made up a bunch of slings - even two Balearic types.  I am so proud of myself I could....  You are right - takes nothing to make a nice sling - from paracord and a piece of suede, or leather laces and a piece of suede.  But the Balearics took me hours!!!  The first was okay but far too short - a meter sling is really too short in my humble opinion.  But the second one kicks butt - a 4-inch finger loop, 24 inches on the down side, 4 more for pouch, and 28 on the upside.  I started with 6 strands of about 15 feet of hemp cord and found I had a lot left over.  Most of my time was spent untangling my knots!  If you just roll up the excess into neat little spools while you're working, it goes very quickly.  Lessons learned!  Using clothes pins to hold things is great, too - better than wire ties, but those work okay, too.  The sling is perfect for tennis balls.  I also learned that a sling that works well with rocks may not work so well with tennis balls and vice versa - has to do with wind resistance, weight, and momentum.  Incidentally, I have a couple Tibetans on order and will post some feedback after I give them a whirl (so to speak).  

This site is TOPS.  Only problem is that there is so much info, it's hard for a newby like me to navigate, so I am surely prattling on about things that are already well covered.  Sorry for that.  Best to all y'all.

IP Logged

Lycurgus

[ch924][ch927][ch923
][ch937][ch925] [ch923][ch913][ch914
][ch917]

Coventry, England
Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 12:15pm

Lycurgus wrote on Feb 20th, 2009 at 3:51pm:
I ordered a sling from Amdocraft about 4 weeks ago.

I am still waiting for delivery  Cry and will keep you all posted.

UPDATE.
My sling arrived this morning and just to repeat what C-A said in another thread. "These are way too cheap."
Very nice hairy woollen sling (Yak,Sheep, or Yeti wool?) and worth at least double the price.

You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.&&&&Remember - You are unique.............just like everybody else.
IP Logged

AmdoCraft

Tibetan Handicrafts

Xining, China
Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 10:45pm

Great to hear that your sling has arrived.  The Tibetan nomads that make our slings usually make them out of yak wool.  They use a combination of the yak hair and the soft wool of the yak (mao niu rong in Chinese).  The slings can also be made out of sheep wool. Although most of our products are being made by woman, the job of making slings is done by the man.

After having done the first few orders through our webshop I know that I will not be able to keep this price (6US$, incl shipping) very long, so see it as an introduction price.

Klaas
www.amdocraft.com

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #12 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 8:52pm

hey amdocraft, you say your from china so...
你可以做一个 how to on making a nomad sling

my parents are Chinese so i thought i just would do it for fun

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Alphonz603
Tiro

look behind you a three
headed monkey

Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 7:50pm

just put in an order for two tibetan slings, they look great in the pics i hope to get them soon Grin

I’m selling these fine leather jackets

IP Logged

AmdoCraft

Tibetan Handicrafts

Xining, China
Reply #14 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 12:18am

hello xxkid,

你好。你可以看我们的网站www.amdocraft.com.
(translation:  Hello.  You can look at our website for more info)

We have, as AmdoCraft, been making these slings for several years. I myself have not made one, but our producers (AmdoTibetan Nomads) are very used te make them. You can also follow the  following link if you want more info in Chinese. This link takes you to the China Qinghai Province Tourism Bureau that just recently started to promote our company:   http://www.qhly.gov.cn/_info/lydt/commodity_11425.htm

Klaas
www.amdocraft.com  
« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2009 at 4:04am by AmdoCraft »  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris)