Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New forum Section - How to's (Read 2115 times)
Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
New forum Section - How to's
Jan 18th, 2009 at 2:40am

It might be a little late but can we please have a new forum topic named "How to's"

- This how to section will be alongside the "general discussion", "other topics" forums, to clear up my idea - i had trouble explaining -.-

This forum topic would include any 'how to'  or instructions to make anything, not necessarily slings, but things like concrete ammo, catapults etc..

I know we have the advice and guides section, but that just covers the really good sling designs, and not the other ideas - some of the minor ones spark up new sling ideas and inventions/projects . Also, other weapon how to's in the "other topics" section could be easier to find in one place rather than search for it.

Perhaps we could move the other instructional pieces spread out throughout the forums into this section.

Anyone have any flaws, queries or comments to help this or oppose this?

Thanks -camo

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Re: New forum Section - How to's
Reply #1 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 6:36pm

IMHO, how-tos and such (on any subject) don't belong in a discussion forum, because being there they will draw comments (good and bad) which will take away from the instructional nature of a How-to.  They belong exactly where they are - in an Articles and Information section which is not subject to commentary by others.

There are several How-tos in the Discussion Forum (such as the Five Loop Sheepshank Paracord Sling how-to)  which I believe should be moved to the Articles section as it is.  They are valuable and yet "get lost" in the clutter of comments and new subjects.

I fail to see why the things you mention would not fit under Other Topics in the existing Articles section.  Submit them as articles and see what happens...

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2009 at 3:33pm

Well I can see your point - most people never quite seem to grasp how to 'Search' for things on the forum.

Maybe a 'How to use the search engine' tutorial might be an idea to sticky up somewhere - which would solve the problem of: 'how do i find information on the (insert frequently discussed topic of your choice) that most members seem to have at some point or other Smiley

See diagram below. The most important one to tick is the box that says; Display only one result per
thread.
It's also a good idea to change the: This post was made in the last.... TO All Posts.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Unsapien

"Sling your words like
cannon balls."Vari, M.Twain

Davis, Ca
Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2009 at 12:29pm

I see what your striving at, however StaffSlingers has a good point.

We should avoid articles getting diluted by incessant commentary.

I think we simply need more articles.

-Unsapien

AaronMGutierrez  
IP Logged

ElliotB

Slinging Rocks! And Loving
It!

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 6:06am

I think he's right. We should have a How-To's section, which, if they are of good quality and there is general approval, could much more easily be moved to the articles section, it would make it a lot easier to find those misc. articles that you want, and also easier to have a specific section to be able to post under if you have a How-To.

IP Logged

Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 8:55am

I guess it still sways to staffslingers points of views more than which of mine. It would be nice but i quess its easier to search for these articles than move them into one place.

camo.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jan 23rd, 2009 at 10:53am

Quote:
It would be nice but i quess its easier to search for these articles than move them into one place.

It's no bother to move them - but then you end up with two article sections and a more confusing forum.
I just prefer to encourage people to use the search engine or look back through older topics - you'll be amazed what you'll find Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 8:59pm

i think their should be a how to section. but i think we should also be able to ask questions too. just this day i was wondering on how to make a monkeys fist knot. the general discussion wasn't right because it was for bolas, the other thing was for jokes, and finnaly the other weapons one is barely ever looked at

i agree with this new section

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris)