Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Which plant fibers for slings? (Read 2846 times)
Branmun
Tiro

Never drink and sling

northwest ontario
Which plant fibers for slings?
Dec 3rd, 2008 at 5:04pm

Hey. I live in north western Ontario, and was wondering what tree/plant fibers can I use to make a sling from. Here is two links of SOME things I have around me:
www.borealforest.org/trees.htm
www.borealforest.org/glossary.htm
If you don't know if it grows where I live then post it anyway. Thanks Cheesy?
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2008 at 4:09pm by Branmun »  

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes. -Jack Handy

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Re: Which plant fibers for slings?
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 4:18pm

If getting some natural fiber string in local hardware shop is an option then go get some hemp - it's great for slings because is heavy and flexible and they make nice whip cracks Wink
I've also tried flax but it's not so great as hemp. Maybe because I tried "dirty" flax (the string used for packaging) it's fibers are coarse and the string isn't as flexible as hemp and is much lighter so my flax slings barely makes whip cracks (just lousy "soft" ones)

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 5:26pm

None of the trees listed are good for fibers. What you want are smaller, bush like, or plants
Nettles , reeds, or phragmites, cattails.
The best tree for cordage is the inner bark of the basswood tree, but it takes time (almost 2 weeks) sometimes to prepare and make it

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 5:34pm

Making a sling from nettle fibres: http://www.zinfinium.net/index.php?id=130

This whole site is excellent.

IP Logged

Branmun
Tiro

Never drink and sling

northwest ontario
Reply #4 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 8:31pm

Thanks guys Grin I Think I have some dogbain(Indian hemp), probable nettle,phragmites , and maybe some sort of flax around here. I've been looking into retting, and already know how to make rope. Anyways how does Nettles , reeds, phragmites, and cattails sound when "in action."

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes. -Jack Handy

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 9:33pm

believe me, you have phragmites around. There's nowhere on the Eastern half of north America that doesn't have them. It's an intrusive European plant that crowds out cattails. It grows up to 9 feet tall, and has reddish seed clusters in the fall

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Branmun
Tiro

Never drink and sling

northwest ontario
Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 4:15pm

Here is a list of things I have to chose from: (I'll have to get the plants next year because of snow)
stinging nettle
phragmite
dogbain
cattail
now, which one Huh
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2008 at 3:58pm by Branmun »  

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 8:27pm

I looked at the site, and the technique they give for the nettles will work. The way you make the cordage will work for any type. What I didn't see is how to weave the cords together into longer ones. I would try the nettles first.
  I'm suprised you don't have beech trees by you.

IP Logged

Branmun
Tiro

Never drink and sling

northwest ontario
Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2008 at 9:49pm

Yeah, I'll start with that, I'll probably try all three at one point or another. Smiley Thanks, now all I have to do is wait for winter to be over Angry

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 2:53pm

If you have phragmites around, you could probably start now

IP Logged

Branmun
Tiro

Never drink and sling

northwest ontario
Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 3:34pm

I saw some patches of cattails and phragmites in the city Grin Next time I'll try to grab some.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2008 at 2:55pm

great site hmmm no stinging nettles not since this summer hmmm

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)