Gdansk Sling (Read 19518 times)
winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: Gdnask Sling
Reply #30 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 12:10am

I think I have this thing figured out.

Ok based on the calculations on paper.
I need ammunition around the 43 to 35 gram range. The reason that golfballs didn't work is due to thier size and shape.
Instead of a spheroidal shape this sling needs ammunition that is Prolate ellipsodial in Shape ( Egg shaped in non geek)
and in the 13-16 cubic centimeter size range.

Using both flint and limestone we would need ammuntion  3.5 cm long with a width of .9 to 1 cm. Golf balls have a  diameter of 9 cm and a volume of 381.70 cubic centimeters.

a very rough approximation would to be to use the width of wide lined paper. Basicly the distance between to two lines would be approximate to the width of the required ammunition. this is close to the width of the 57 gram lead egg sinkers I was using. The egg sinkers were not as long but close to the width!

Badger expect an e-mail

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #31 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 10:53pm

I have a rough draft paper on this, Only thing it is missing is the Ballistics for the shaped ammunition I am thinking about and the original Polish articles. ( for some reason i can't figure how to cut and paste them).
I am writing this for an SCA specific audience but in the spirit of Peer review anyone that wants a copy of the rough paper for comments and review get in touch with me offlist and I will send it to ya.

As soon as I get comments coming in I will send out the updated paper

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #32 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 4:57pm

hey, can you post a how to please, sounds interesting

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #33 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 8:26pm

Once I get his paper done, I will be submitting it to Chris for inclusions in the Articles section. This is a competition paper, last thing I currently need is members of my organization haveing open access to my research before it is ready.

Yes it is a unique design, however we are still not sure that it is a sling, I am leaning heavily in the direction that it is but I am going to need to see the ballistics of the shaped ammunition before I give it my stamp. Just because one expert clled it a sling and one possble graduate student wrote a extremely short article on it doesn't make it a sling. We would need the original article ( If it could be found) and then it would have to be translted in english, an photograph of the original would be a big help as well...........

In short be patient and it will eventually happen

Marc Adkins

xxkid123 wrote on Mar 9th, 2009 at 4:57pm:
hey, can you post a how to please, sounds interesting

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #34 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 8:31pm

Ok further developments on this project of mine.

Using bolt cutters I cut steel round stock, the length of the pouch. I cut two diffrent diameters of stock 5/16ths and 3/8ths of an inch. These should stand in as shaped ammuntion for preliminary ballistics testing. one that is done I may play around using shaped clay pellets and see how they do.............

Marc Adkins

winkleried wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 12:10am:
I think I have this thing figured out.

Ok based on the calculations on paper.
I need ammunition around the 43 to 35 gram range. The reason that golfballs didn't work is due to thier size and shape.
Instead of a spheroidal shape this sling needs ammunition that is Prolate ellipsodial in Shape ( Egg shaped in non geek)
and in the 13-16 cubic centimeter size range.

Using both flint and limestone we would need ammuntion  3.5 cm long with a width of .9 to 1 cm. Golf balls have a  diameter of 9 cm and a volume of 381.70 cubic centimeters.

a very rough approximation would to be to use the width of wide lined paper. Basicly the distance between to two lines would be approximate to the width of the required ammunition. this is close to the width of the 57 gram lead egg sinkers I was using. The egg sinkers were not as long but close to the width!

Badger expect an e-mail

Marc Adkins

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Re: Gdansk Sling
Reply #35 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 4:59pm

o, i see what you mean good luck

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #36 - May 15th, 2009 at 1:13am

further developments of this Project. The cut round stock did perform well in prelimanary testing. (Read: It flew at a good velocity for a decent range) Just haven't had the time to get some good balistic data on it. Would love to be able to provide data that this particular sized bar stock flew this particular distance this many times. Once I have that then I will move on to doing baked clay projectiles and do the same thing with them and this particular paper will be done.
Jurek can you contact me via PM or e-mail?

Marc Adkins

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #37 - Jun 5th, 2009 at 11:23pm

Still trying to get some ballistics data going for this.
Taking the paper and the sling to an SCA A&S (Arts and Science) competition tomorrow. If it goes well I'll post what I have to chris.

Marc Adkins

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #38 - Dec 31st, 2018 at 3:02am

Yep, another Winkleried resurrected thread..... I am going to see where my notes and paper that I presented all those years ago are and either post them here or send them to the moderators so we can stick a fork in this one.

Marc Adkins

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Chris)