Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
question about throwing style (Read 16264 times)
zzzz
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

question about throwing style
Nov 21st, 2008 at 4:16pm

I built my first sling according to the 'simple sling' how to on this website. My question is if i am trying to hit a target 20-30 yards away would overhand or underhand be better? I am just starting and from my little testing underhand i have a tendency to throw almost straight up Cry  and overhand i dont get nearly as much power. So which would allow me to hit the target or would both?

thanks

Quote:
You´ve choosen a good handle, zzzz, you really seem to be to sleepy to look for something yourself Wink

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: question about throwing style
Reply #1 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 4:35pm

Both .. Smiley.. for a safe practice tool, roll up a pair of socks, tie a string to them, make certain there is enough string to be as long as your sling. Whirl it over hand and throw, whirl underhand and throw, whirl like helicopter and throw .. Cheesy.. one of the orientations will probably feel best.. Wink..the whirl shouldn't be too fast ...just enough to let you feel where the sock is in its trajectory. When you can hit a target with your sock consistently you will be surprised at how much your rock slinging is improved too.  Cool

P.S. this is a some what safe indoor practice routine you can use in a small room.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 5:48pm

Always focus on what feel the most comfotable. Take it slow. accuarcy takes lots of practice and time. Practice is key, and safety. Use tennis balls for ammo for starting out .

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 6:46pm

Funny how individual slinging is. I always get heaps more power with overarm but found basic accuracy with underarm easier. As you give no details of your sling it's hard to be specific but underarm shots which go straight up means the release is too late. Possible causes for this include,
a. the sling is too short (for underarm I like a sling which is approx. from the waist to the ground)
b. the pouch grips the ammo too securely (make sure there are no snag points, cords not tangled etc.)
c. the ammo is too light (IMO anything much lighter than a tennis ball is too light to sling effectively, it's hard to "feel" it and it doesn't have the weight to open the pouch on release)
BTW I second any suggestions to use tennisballs. Great for beginners, safe and consistent.

And of course there is the minor matter of technique. There are quite a few videos on YouTube that show slinging. For a good relaxed underarm style one of my favourites is "Lampi100". Search under his name. His videos are always self-taken and show only a rear view but they are very clear and easy to emulate.

Hope this helps.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 10:47pm

I have to imagine that an underhand release might have the potential to beat up the tip of your sling's thong more than an overhand release would.

I have not tested this theory, since I don't sling underhand.  But when I release a Figure 8 throw (overhand), the trigger knot flies up and out forward, not down toward the ground like I would think an underhand release would.  Contact with the ground is minimized with my Figure 8 throw.    

Comments on that theory?

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 5:15am

Horses for courses again! I love Fig.8 and use it almost exclusively. I find that the release knot always hits the ground on follow through. In wet weather the sling always gets muddy. In fact in my favourite slinging spot in my backyard there are two bare patches where the grass has been worn away, one from my feet and a smaller but definite one foward and slightly to the left, where the constant whipping of the release cord has also killed the grass.

With underarm there is some risk of hitting the ground with the actual pouch, especially if the sling is too long but the release cord has lost all its velocity by the time it touches the ground.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

zzzz
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 10:07am

so how do you do the figure 8? and from what i am gathering over the head is better?

thanx

Quote:
You´ve choosen a good handle, zzzz, you really seem to be to sleepy to look for something yourself Wink

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 11:29am

In the guides and articles section of the main site there is this how to for slinging the fig-8 by Mark Weaver http://slinging.org/index.php?page=tennis-overhand-weaver-style-overhand-release...
There are also several videos on youtube of slingers doing the figure 8, such as this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8orcxkmtRnc&feature=related
this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKY8g-pPmi4&feature=related
and one that I did
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-yvC5f1SWw

I'm not sure that I'd say overhand is better... I use it for most of my slinging, but it really comes down to what works best for you.  That could be overhand, underhand, sidearm... all kinds of styles out there.  Try them all, and see which you like best.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 7:09pm

I throw overhand only with relatively light weights, nothing as heavy as Brian's 4oz (was it?) concrete eggs.
I don't trust my elbow with weights such as those.

For heavier rocks I throw underhand - and usually a different sling - and yes I do occasionally hit the ground with the pouch. Given a lightish rock I can throw considerably further overhand.

The release cord does hit the ground or gets tangled in the undergrowth occasonally - not a big deal.

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #9 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 2:01pm

In my opinion, 20-30 yards is pretty close range, and so, I would use the overhand method in that case. I tend to reserve underhand for tossing at massed objects or trying for distance. Others, I know, do it differently. To each their own, I suppose. I find that at such close range, for me, the stone seems to stay level longer with the overhand throwing, meaning I'm less likely to overshoot a closer target using a sidearm or overhand throwing method.

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker)