Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
time to achieve timing and aim (Read 4799 times)
Dr.Q
Tiro

sometimes, the sharpest
blade is not enough

time to achieve timing and aim
Nov 19th, 2008 at 9:40pm

this is a call to all devoted slingers of slinging.org
how much time does it take to develop goog aim
with the sling?

months? years ?

Dr.Q

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Re: time to achieve timing and aim
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 10:20pm

Quote:
......months? years ?.....

Yes!  Wink Exactly.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 10:35pm

Steven hit the answer on the head. The answer is going to depend on the individual slinger and what he is trying to do with his slinging. Trying to hit into an area is going to be far easier thatn to hit a single specific target. If you are going for distance it is going to take less time than if you are learning how to hit a small edible rodent at short range. Been doing this for several years and my accuracy is not up to the level I would like for it to be for me to hunt with it.

Now on the other hand I can send a 85-100 gram rock about a 100m if the conditions are good and I'm not really concerned if it doesn't hit directly in front of me.

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 12:05pm

years - is probably the best answer.

Based on a MODERN slinger who will be unlikely to get in more than a few hours slinging a week.

Your more ancient slingers would have started near enough as soon as they could walk - so again years.

Were you to steadfastly take up a sling and train for several hours a day - every day - maybe a month, maybe longer depending on the slinger and who was teaching them.

It's not a weapon like a bow where you can be reasonably proficient after a few hours.
So the answer cannot be as absolute as it would be for a bow.

Most weapons that are extensions of the body have the same problem.
How long does it take to be good with a sword ? years Smiley
See what I mean.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 12:53pm

Well, after about three years of slinging I'm still improving all the time... I throw further and I'm significantly more accurate than a year ago.

I expect the same could be said for most of those who have been slinging considerably longer. The timing is still for me the thing. I reckon I can throw about 85-90% of my maximum distance almost effortlessly. Put the extra effort in and the timing goes completely  Angry

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 1:50pm

It all boils down to the number of hours you spend slinging rocks, and applying lessons learned as you do.  An hour a day (say 30-40 throws) for a year should make you a pretty formidable slinger.

"Good aim" depends on how you define it.  Hitting 8 out of 10 on a human size target at 200 yards?  A 2 liter bottle at 20 yards?  A 4" circle at 50 yards?  You decide...

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 4:44pm

As per Staffslinger's post, one of the difficulties in answering this question is, what do you mean accurate? IMHO anyone who can consistently hit a man sized target at 20 metres in under a few months is doing very well. (Staffslinger's suggestions I would rate as, 1. Brilliant 2. Extremely good but achievable and 3. Just about miraculous. Of course hitting anything at 200m is brilliant as even achieving the distance is a fair achievement.)

Slings differ greatly from other ranged weapons like bows and firearms in that there is no specific aiming technique. A good comparison would be with developing a tennis serve. Those with a good natural hand/eye coordination will learn a lot faster than others, but you just have to do it enough to develop the muscle memory however long that takes in your case. Another difficulty is that nearly all of us are self taught. Even if we are copying a style we have seen on this site, YouTube or elsewhere, we rarely have a coach to watch for errors. Everything is by trial and error. Unfortunately the error part often predominates.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 9:57am

Quote:
Unfortunately the error part often predominates.

speak for yourself Smiley
lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #8 - Nov 22nd, 2008 at 4:54pm

To build accuracy in a safe way Cool; see the following: http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1227302217/1#1

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 9:14am

With my slings, I consentrate about two levels of accuracy.  First is to be accurate enough to chase away a bear, wolf, dog,puma, lion or other big animal who will steal my food, dog, wife, sheep or whatewer, by hitting it, or close by it, repeatedly untill it retreats.  Hopefully I am close to this now.

The other accuracy level is of course to be able to take out that little animal or bird who is supposed to be dinner.
Also included in this is that hit in a giants forehead we hear about Wink
I propably need a little bit more practice before I am 100 % there yet Cheesy

When aiming my sling at a target, I focus on it, point my front hand and toes toward it, rather like archery. I  focus on where to hit, not to much on how, this just makes me confused.  It is important to keep unimportant thoughts away.
Then it just is a question about consistent slinging tecnique.
It is best to practice as often as possible, for us beginners, unless we want to feel that we start at the beginning again each time Smiley
timann

IP Logged

Rockchipper
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2008 at 9:47am

I have only been slinging a couple days now but as with any art  as far as I can tell is safety and practice.. practice ..practice, by the way I CAN hit the broad side of a barn after first day  Smiley pretty happy with that , to me slinging is relaxing so I will keep up the practice

STICKS AND STONES WILL BREAK BONES, and windows !......Rockchipper

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #11 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:03pm

Rockchipper,

after the first day I was happy not to hit myself  Smiley
Yours is the best attitude to slinging. It's fun and time by time results will grow better and better.
Is there any real skill in this world one could ever tell that one is perfect in?

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:20pm

I'm late for this topic, but here's my view.

Based on my own experience, I would say it takes roughly three months to achive some competent degree of acurracy. Now I have 7 months of slinging experience and I can hit with relative ease a head size target at 6-7 meters (19-22 feet)

This is with lots of practice, nearly every day for the first three months. For me, slinging is a stress relive/recreational purpose, so instead of watching TV or wathever, I go slinging on my free time.

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #13 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 1:16pm

Just try to combine it: sling at your TV  Roll Eyes

funda

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #14 - Dec 7th, 2008 at 4:14pm

funda_iucunda wrote on Dec 7th, 2008 at 1:16pm:
Just try to combine it: sling at your TV  Roll Eyes

funda

Wait, didn't he already do that Wink

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)