Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Non-Conventional Sling Designs (Read 39412 times)
Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Non-Conventional Sling Designs
Nov 18th, 2008 at 11:33pm

I thought it fitting we start a new thread that explores the concepts of sling evolution.Any and all ideas are fair game,and no idea is blasphemous. The designs here could include,but not be limited to,the compound sling,the semiautomatic self loading sling,the hand held mini-trebuchets that are o-so-popular here in Florida,the multishot slings used predominately for hog hunting,the fully automatic centrifugal loaders(the neoprene ones are ok here,but the spring design is too played out),the double-barreled sling,the atl-sling multifire is always fun,the piggyback staff-sling can create hours of entertainment,the captive release cord sling,the self destructive sling,or,last but not least,the venerable but less reliable Chinese yo-yo sling.

Let's shake the foundations and push the envelope and go where no man has gone before,etc.etc.

Ideas?

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Non-Conventional Sling Designs
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 4:29am

I am liking the Hoopak staff sling idea, where the retention and release points are side by side on the arms of a Y shaped end. This gives a clean rifle spin release every time. You would need a fairly deep hook on the release arm for the axis to be aligned right otherwise the projectile would fly nose high.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 6:54am

currently working on a quantum sling.
The missile reaches it's destination without passing through the space inbetween sling and target.

The main problem is keeping the darn photons still while i load them in the pouch Wink
so far haven't managed to use anything larger, hoping to work on up to protons eventually.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 6:59am

Those pesky molecules, so hard to get to cooperate sometimes aren't they?

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #4 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 8:30am

Exactly!!The quantum leap portal sling.We'll have to keep an eye on the Hadron collider.

The design I was thinking of is a bit simpler.How about an atl-sling.It would consist of a woomera thrown dart that had a projectile that engaged by propulsion method upon impact of the spearhead.You could use surgical tubing like the sling shot or crossbow that would remain tight during flight,and engage a second dart or projectile.It would resemble a torpedo,but in the air.The old Confederate sub that was sunken and raised off the Carolina coast(S.S. Hunley) had the first torpedo.It would literally ram the enemy ship with the nose of the sub,damaging the enemy ship badly with its reinforced  harpoon device.The Hunley would then reverse engine("All men,pedal backwards full throttle!!!!!!!!!!!!!)and leave the wounded vessel with a barrel of dynamite that would worsen the hole and hopefully sink the ship.Sadly for the Hunley and its doomed crew,the only successful attack on The Houstatanic took the Hunley and crew with her to Davey Jones' Locker.Explosives;;;;;;FUN!!!

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

JustKnot
Descens

Lithuania
Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 2:37pm

if we would make a sling with length of r=c/(2*3.14) and spin it at 60 revs per min then the pouch would reach the c - speed of light - our own stone age primitive hadron collider Cool
and if we make it spin at a rate of 100 hertz we would only need 477.5 km long sling
Who's with me to build the stone age hadron collider Cheesy

IP Logged

JohnnyDont
Tiro

Chicks dig slingers.

United States
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 4:22pm

I always wanted to sling a shotgun shell on the end of a dowel rod with a tack on it. pretty much what jax is thinking.

Remember kids, don't do what Johnny Don't does.

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #7 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 5:31pm

Last night on the Weapon Masters they tested atlatls including some that had power heads like this.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=WkYwAAAAEBAJ&dq=patent:3878788&as_drrb_ap=q&as_...

IP Logged

MammotHunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Give me a rock, a sling,
and give me some room

virginia, for now
Reply #8 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 7:09pm

Alright, guys, I got it! I just came up with this while I was manning the desk here at work! It's a staff atlatl. Picture a staff sling, about 4-6 feet long, but instead of the tapered end of a staff sling to facilitate release of a sling loop, you'd have a hook or spur permanently affixed to launch a dart two handed. About say, 3 feet down the shaft there would be a dart rest with a groove cut deeply into it so the dart would rest without having to be held on with the hands, and the casting motion would just be the typical staff sling type cast. Physics should do the rest. Weightstones may be optional, but this idea seems like it could have some merit. Now, I just have to have time to make one and test it. I think I know what I'm doing on Friday...

Y
                                          /\
[====================================]
                                            ####
[== shaft
Y dart rest
/\ dart spur (will be more horizontal on the prototype)
###  weightstone

Foolish is he who frets at night,&&And lies awake to worry'&&A weary man when morning comes,&&He finds all as bad as before&&-Excerpted from "The Havemal"
palaeoEvolution  
IP Logged

JohnnyDont
Tiro

Chicks dig slingers.

United States
Reply #9 - Nov 19th, 2008 at 11:11pm

Thomas wrote on Nov 19th, 2008 at 5:31pm:
Last night on the Weapon Masters they tested atlatls including some that had power heads like this.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=WkYwAAAAEBAJ&dq=patent:3878788&as_drrb_ap=q&as_...

And there was my epiphany moment. Its so easy when someone else makes it and patents it first only different.

Thanks Thomas

Remember kids, don't do what Johnny Don't does.

IP Logged

Dave M
Descens

Slinging Rocks at seagulls

Littlehampton West Sussex Eng
Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 3:23pm

How about the Maffball sling, !! and for those of you who are not familiar with the sport of maffball, it's simple really just soak a toilet roll in paraffin and set light to it and then play as with a football, it is usually played at night after to much alcohol has been consumed normally by members of the Goth Community on the beach at Whitby, If you go on YouTube and search for Maffball you should get several hits, it is sometimes played in just underpants and before you ask there are no rules except that if you catch fire it is your own fault.
I was at the last event and I have made a Maffball sling that resists Fire , bog rolls(i.e Maffballs) the sling is made from Springs, chain, Bowden wire and good old fashioned string, I will take a couple of pictures tomorrow an post them for you to have a chuckle at. I have used it a couple of times with differing degrees of success, my son tried it and managed to wrap it round his head with quite comical results apparently.
Dave Grin

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 4:15pm

Thats weird, I've been to WGW loads of times and never once seen or heard of Maffball! Are you a Whitby local or a dirty goff?

IP Logged

Dave M
Descens

Slinging Rocks at seagulls

Littlehampton West Sussex Eng
Reply #12 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 4:21pm

Dirty Old Goth this usually happens on the Monday night after the Beach party

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #13 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 5:12pm

I'm usually off home on the Monday which explains why I've never seen it. Are you going next April? We could go for a chuck off the harbour wall Smiley

IP Logged

Panday

Slinging Rocks!

New Mogadishu (Detroit)
Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 3:40am

How about a throwing star sling?  It would have to have a pouch made of something rather durable.

I wonder how much range and accuracy you could get out of the average shuriken.

"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not even be here, 80 are nothing but targets, 9 are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they the battle make.&&Ah, but the one.  One of them is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."&&-Heraclitus 500 BC
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)