Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Non-Conventional Sling Designs (Read 39408 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Non-Conventional Sling Designs
Reply #15 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 5:36am

Panday wrote on Nov 21st, 2008 at 3:40am:
How about a throwing star sling?  It would have to have a pouch made of something rather durable.

I wonder how much range and accuracy you could get out of the average shuriken.

That would be pretty easy to do. You make a very narrow pouch with high semicircular sides. The release cord is attached offset to one side so the shuriken rolls out past it. You would probably want to extend one of the side of the pouch on the retention side to make a kind of tailfin to make sure it orients edge first.

IP Logged

Dave M
Descens

Slinging Rocks at seagulls

Littlehampton West Sussex Eng
Reply #16 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 6:22am

Picture of the Maffball sling the tiles are 9inches square to give an idea of size.

S8300003_001.JPG (109 KB | )
S8300003_001.JPG

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 8:19am

That contraption looks very impessive, raises the question what on earth is a maffbal ?
Oh wait just went back to read the previous posts, that does not sound like healthy ammo, did you actually try it out, the sling looks rather unscorched....

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #18 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 8:42am

That spring pouch is pure genius!Morningstar,the tailfin idea is where it's at.I'm rigging one on my newest baseball sling,as my dad has been threatening to install one for a while.I think he may have built one with the fin already,can't remember if I used it.

Aussie,in response to your questions regarding Thomas' "Upset Pouch" design(Pictures thread):

"Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #399 - Nov 13th, 2008, 7:55am Quote
Greetings Brett,

The new design looks great! It looks as if the release will be really fast and unimpeded. Have you tried it with irregular shaped stones? Do you think there is any danger of it snagging? Can you control the orientation of the pouch on release and does it matter?

I suppose the really burning question is does it give substantially better performance than a conventional sling of similar length?

Regards,

Aussie"

I did try the golf ball sling with some beautiful Oregon coast smooth marble like stones that litter the sand there.They fit in the pouch nice,but to your second question,they snagged a few times.Danger!I can't control the pouch orientation,but when I did get nearly 230 yards,with my caveman pirouette and a golf ball,the balls would just go out and up.Every golf ball I've ever slung has curved to the right.And to answer your last question,the "upset pouch" has given me an increase in performance.My baseball average has gone from 445',to nearly 500'.The sling length is @ 55".My golf ball average has increased from 400' up to nearly 600'!!!! That is substantial,although other factors weigh in.The sling I was getting the longest casts with was the 6-hole trebuchet pouch that CA made me,and its' length was just under 40".The latest sling is right at 43",and is long enough I can use my straight arm pirouette,and short enough to bring that thing around in more of an overhand release,which would explain the lack of crazy spin.It is possible that the pouch is orienting itself without the aid of the tail fin.

CA,I answered the spin question already;were they curving left?I thought they always went right.The casts in the video clip were with my attempt at Larry Bray's style,and the balls always curve for me with that cast.Your birthday is near,and your bag of baseballs are still sitting here in my house.With a bit of luck you'll receive them for the holidays,and maybe Santa will throw in a little something extra,if you behave.It won't take as long as Big Kahunas Spring Equinox delivery. Grin

Jeffrey,these slings are actually much simpler than a traditional sling.The release cord doesn't leave!!

And finally Aussie,I wouldn't recommend building something like this without the captive release.The strings would get in the way,no?

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Dave M
Descens

Slinging Rocks at seagulls

Littlehampton West Sussex Eng
Reply #19 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 2:55pm

Quote:
That contraption looks very impressive, raises the question what on earth is a maffbal ?
Oh wait just went back to read the previous posts, that does not sound like healthy ammo, did you actually try it out, the sling looks rather unscorched....

The Sling was used if you look closely at the picture the chain is slightly darker where it got smoked the method is Load , Light, Lob.
You can tell when its ready to lob as the hairs on your hand start to smell crispy, the major problem with it is that it goes so fast that you put the Maffball out IE it gets blown out , but this is not insurmountable.
We might be having a test fire over the weekend so I will let you know what happens.
Dave

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #20 - Nov 30th, 2008 at 12:24pm

Can a compound staff sling be built with more advantage than the compound sling like Yurek built?

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #21 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 9:02am

These slings are performing beautifully.I now throw golf balls to 700' consistently,and with the Larry Bray style throw the pouch seems to give a backspin 90% of the time.The orientation on release is like a split finger.Maybe the swivels are doing this for me,but I have been paying more attention to the way my palm is facing(skyward)on release.

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #22 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 1:58pm

very nice slings jax
I was just rigging up a giant sling to hurl the hadron collider lol

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #23 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 5:42pm

That sling reminds me of an exercise device. 
Your building skills are impresive.

Make sure to bring your video camera to the test. There are too few videos about incendiaries.

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #24 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 7:55pm

Rockman,

I did not build these slings,they were built by my father,Thomas.He has been slinging for a while...actually he's a genius.

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #25 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 7:36am

Quote:
Rockman,

I did not build these slings,they were built by my father,Thomas.He has been slinging for a while...actually he's a genius.

Brett

I'll second that one.  The one Brett sent me to play with was amazing.  The only problem I had with it was trying to adapt my throwing style to using it since the release was near instantanious... quite a few very high shots resulted.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #26 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 3:58pm

Slings, regardless of design are simple compared to other projectile weapons.
The slinger and his technique are the complex components
Genius? I’ve only made some minor changes to other people’s ideas and then combined them together somewhat.

For now, the release hook slings have been abandoned in favor of the “tip up through the loop type”.
“The traditional fly out” release cord will always be popular as it represents what a sling should look like. All slinging distance world records have been set using traditional retention and release cords.

The captive release cord style I have settled on for the last few years has no inherent power advantage over traditional slings as long as the latter’s pouch and release cord stay clear of the ammo.

The two items that always needed improvement are how to consistently control spin and pouch orientation with long slings and narrow grip. The spin thing is a tough nut to crack. The person who solves this is a true genius.

When I was a kid, a stone that hummed through the air caused me to elicit a bad word. Now that was usually an irregular shaped rock, the ones that really deceive are nicely shaped and don’t hum out-- DUMMY!

POUCHES_006-1.jpg (500 KB | )
POUCHES_006-1.jpg

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #27 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 11:40pm

The sling pouch in the photo has a traditional release cord,correct?Does the ball pass through the center every time?

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #28 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 1:57am

The cord is captive and so far due to the weather, snow/ice balls have gone through the release loop as intended.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #29 - Mar 17th, 2009 at 11:07pm

My dad hand delivered some fantastic new slings with unusual designs.The one on the left has a detachable wing.You can sling a baseball or like sized orb with a back spin or turn it 90 degrees to produce a spiral.The sling on the right is named the cicada,and is designed for golf balls.We used both yesterday with fantastic results.I threw several golfballs out of the field and above the treeline(estimated-700').Both slings are "Thomas non-traditional captive release cords".

Brett

Quiver_8.JPG (98 KB | )
Quiver_8.JPG

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Chris, vetryan15, Kick)