Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
Non-Conventional Sling Designs (Read 40035 times)
a

a

a
Re: Non-Conventional Sling Designs
Reply #135 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 6:02pm

Slyngorm wrote on Dec 5th, 2020 at 5:12pm:
I haven't ever wielded a staff sling but that sounds odd.
Searching the archives gives me some conflicting info on whether staff slings throw objects farther.

But they pretty much agree that staffies can throw heavier stones with more force. The last part doesn't make much sense if it can't throw longer.

For me apart from rock size, the most important thing about the staff sling is trajectory.

My staff sling is stainless steel pipe about 6ft. But when I throw with it it's releasing the rock about 10 foot off the ground, perhaps more. So I have a 6ft gate and a 50 metre driveway beyond it. I can throw a big rock down that driveway with my gate closed.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #136 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 8:30am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Dec 5th, 2020 at 5:49pm:
it's better you just go out and build a range of staff slings & try them out and then determine for yourself

Can't argue with that, honestly  Grin

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #137 - Dec 9th, 2020 at 6:32pm

Hello again friends. Cool to see my old thread getting a lil run. My dad is the non-conventional king. Love you Dad. Any input here?

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #138 - Dec 11th, 2020 at 4:39am

What are the coolest least conventional slings he have made?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #139 - Dec 19th, 2020 at 3:09pm

Burner wrote on Dec 9th, 2020 at 6:32pm:
Hello again friends. Cool to see my old thread getting a lil run. My dad is the non-conventional king. Love you Dad. Any input here?

Ajax?

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #140 - Dec 24th, 2020 at 4:13pm

Morphy!! Merry Christmas!! All the captive release slings in this thread are my favorites, obviously.  Such an advantage, I can't imagine slinging without that. We primarily sling sporting SPHERES, so the snag you might get from a traditional sling from odd shaped stones is nonexistent. The caulk tube sling is my favorite.

Cheers

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #141 - Dec 25th, 2020 at 8:03am

You are the OG captive release  slinger as far as I remember. Welcome back my man.  Cheesy

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #142 - Dec 26th, 2020 at 5:39am

I have an archery release trigger that goes around my wrist.  It's very easy to use with a sling as well. A release loop on the end of a sling release cord is what secures the release cord to the trigger. When you spin the conventional sling around the trigger becomes an absolute hair trigger. Due the the pressure on the release mechanism caused by the momentum of the projectile, any slight touch to the trigger results in the release cord being released.
It showed me that most of the release delay of the sling happens at the end of the release cord and not
in the pouch or at the base of the release cord as I said in the past. 
The harder and faster you sling, the more momentum you generate and the quicker the release of the sling becomes. The archery release on a sling makes that very obvious. But that's why I don't think the archery release on a sling is beneficial. Yes, it allows you to swing heavy objects with less energy required, but as a result you no longer feel the sling's momentum as well and thus determining your release point for hitting your target is less intuitive, while the whole action of a sling'accuracy is supposed to be from intuition and instinct. The hand-release I still conclude as optimal because it is inline with the senses of the slinger. The mechanical release creates a barrier.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #143 - Jan 10th, 2021 at 7:26pm

Looking through this thread I realized that my own collection of unconventional slings is getting pretty large.  Regrettably the compound slings don't work.  But that's something I will revisit again some day.

IP Logged

MirkoSling
Tiro

Marichiweu

Texas
Reply #144 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 9:24am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 10th, 2021 at 7:26pm:
Regrettably the compound slings don't work.  But that's something I will revisit again some day.

What is the compound sling and how does it work?

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #145 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 9:32am

@Mariano
I’m so glad you asked!  It’s about time we revisit the compound sling again. 
If a regular sling was a one-speed bicycle, the compound sling would be a bike with a continuously variable transmission. The idea is to sling like you would with heavy ammo, but it launches small ammo really fast... at least in theory. Nobody has outperformed a normal sling with a compound yet.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #146 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 9:55am

MirkoSling wrote on Jan 12th, 2021 at 9:24am:
What is the compound sling

https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1174772635/0
It is basically a sling that is supposed to give extra power by releasing an extra length of cord when you throw it.

MirkoSling wrote on Jan 12th, 2021 at 9:24am:
how does it work?

It's a mystery. Jk
https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1554580056/0

The better question is if anyone has ever actually made it work practically or as according to its theoretical benefits. Sarosh's vid is the only one I have seen demonstrating it and he isn't very positive concerning its potential.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #147 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 11:10am

@MarianoV123 - If you check out the second link that Slyngorm posted, that is the more recent thread.  I liked the design from Sarosh a lot.  But it did have the caveat that two hands were needed to work the sling.  His video and several of mine are in that thread.

I attempted to modify the design so it could be used one-handed, but it ultimately didn't work well.  In order to use it one-handed, the booster weight needed to be in a fixed position.  What this caused to happen is when the sling was released, the pouch wasn't getting any extra force.  The projectile was released by the booster essentially just dragging the pouch through the air.

They were really fun experiments to play with.  It is something I want to revisit some day.

IP Logged

MirkoSling
Tiro

Marichiweu

Texas
Reply #148 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 12:09pm

@joe_meadmaker Is the weight in the middle necessary? I still don't fully understand the concept but would a sliding pouch be considered a compound sling. The sling would be held normally but when released the pouch slides up to the release knot, increasing the amount of leverage without having to add more cord to the sling. This is just an idea I have come up with without trying anything so there is probably a major flaw that I am missing.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #149 - Jan 12th, 2021 at 12:27pm

It’s physics mariano.  The weight in the middle is what the ammo rotates around in the second stage of the launch. It doesn’t work without the weight. The only other way to approach it is like a bull whip where you concentrate momentum in less and less mass to achieve higher velocities. Nobody has come up with a sling design that does that yet.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy)