Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Send Topic Print
Non-Conventional Sling Designs (Read 39410 times)
Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Re: Non-Conventional Sling Designs
Reply #105 - Mar 3rd, 2011 at 11:16pm

w.r.

Your idea shows you are looking beyond merely slaying imaginary foes.  

I understand the general principal of your drawing. There are several examples tried and pictured elsewhere in this thread. The golf ball pouch “cicada” has an integral tail of sorts while others have a non removable tail vane of differing material.

The one with that removable wing was made so spiral throws can be done using a sidearm cast with narrow grip and long 54” sling. The baseball passes through the forward loop regardless of the pouch orientation.

For a right hand throw the pouch exit will be face up while the wing trails behind as a vertical stabilizer. The alternate wing mounting is longitudinal to augment back spin using an overhand cast.

IP Logged

wankelrotary
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #106 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 4:40am

So many real foes, so few imaginary foes. So may people who need a half brick hurled at them to set them straight.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #107 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 9:39am

wankelrotary wrote on Mar 5th, 2011 at 4:40am:
So many real foes, so few imaginary foes. So may people who need a half brick hurled at them to set them straight.

It is official slinging.org policy that slings were once a weapon of war and we cannot ignore that, be we here do not condone using a sling against anyone in any way.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #108 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 10:49am

“Your idea shows you are looking beyond merely slaying imaginary foes.”  

That indeed does not sound appropriate! Beyond weapon use is what I meant. From my personal view all foes may as well be imaginary. Sorry for the omission of anyone’s actual or potential foe.

tom

IP Logged

wankelrotary
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #109 - Mar 5th, 2011 at 7:52pm

Was thinking of recent events in the middle east.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #110 - Mar 6th, 2011 at 12:27pm

Slaying baseballs?I once threw a rotten one so hard the skin peeled off mid flight,but left it hanging on the core.The baseball then went backward like a high frisbee toss and landed about 120' away.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

wankelrotary
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #111 - Mar 9th, 2011 at 4:29pm

Another unusual sling

dogtoy.jpg (161 KB | )
dogtoy.jpg

IP Logged

SirBrittanicvs
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #112 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 11:09pm

I haven't a picture, but I've been playing around with an adjustable sling design that is also easy to make in a matter of minutes. The finger loop is a doubled up bowline, and I don't really know what the release knot is, something like a figure eight with an extra loop in it- it tightens to a solid stopper knot.

The pouch is two straps crossed over each other, and the knots attaching them are bowlines with a few inches of extra material, if I remember correctly. This makes it so that if you so choose you can change the length of the sling to suit any range.

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #113 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 3:59pm

Tried a captive cord and found that it was easier to reload most times, but when it got twisted it took longer to reload.  It just takes one pull to untangle if your release isn't captive. 

Imho great for hunting where you'd only shoot a few shots, and so there's no time to tangle.  Bad for war, where you shoot lots and get shot while untangling.  For play, whatever -- I'm not a fan really because of the tangling but it has advantages.

Captive seems to work well even without that "Y" shape at the pouch.  I just tied together the ends of my best sling with some extra cord.

Another issue is that there's a way to reload where you whip the sling around your ammo.  It's really fast, I'm told, but won't work with a captive cord at all.  I haven't been able to do it yet anyway.

Finally, my capture cord cut my finger, so use a thick cord if you're gonna do that.

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #114 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 4:09pm

wankelrotary wrote on Mar 9th, 2011 at 4:29pm:
Another unusual sling

does the ball come out, or is the whole thing thrown?

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

wankelrotary
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #115 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 2:03am

fattybones wrote on Mar 30th, 2011 at 4:09pm:
Another unusual sling

Nah - just throw the whole thing. The ball inside is so that it floats.

I really should make some float rope so the dog can grab it easier in the surf - i.e. the sheath from some kernmantle rope, with a neoprene rubber core pulled through.

IP Logged

Masiakasaurus
past-moderator

mah-SEE-a-kah-SOR-us

Alabama, USA
Reply #116 - Apr 13th, 2011 at 8:46am

wankelrotary wrote on Apr 13th, 2011 at 2:03am:
fattybones wrote on Mar 30th, 2011 at 4:09pm:
Another unusual sling

Nah - just throw the whole thing. The ball inside is so that it floats.

That would make it a "bola perdida" then, instead of a sling.

Pikåru wrote on Nov 19th, 2013 at 6:59pm:
Massi - WTF? It's called a sling. You use it to throw rocks farther and faster than you could otherwise. That's all. 
~Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily avialable, they will create their own problems.~
WWW elsabio04  
IP Logged

Centrifugal Sin

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #117 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 2:39am

Baseball slings, but with a twist.

The pouches could be simulating baseball pitches (like a knuckleball) with latex copies or hell, even taxidermied human hands that grip the ball in the sweet spots so you can have a perfect sinker every time.

Also, a triggered sling would be cool. Basically, it would be a tandem release sling, where you could release one object and then the next (a trigger on the first shot, a normal throw on the next) to get you some cool combinations, like throwing a clay pigeon or pomegranate on the first throw and then follow it up with some lead shot.

The coolest thing would be a robotic sling. You would have the sights at the radius of the loaded sling, so you'd be a tangent to a release point. All the robotics would do is allow you to release the pouch at your tangent, and would coordinate releases even if your trigger press was off (although a mechanical linkage could do the same thing).

Here's the image in my head:
            I
O====<)
            I
            I
Where O is the center point, the =<) a sling with pouch, and I being the sights/business end of it all.

Also, for those maffball players, why couldn't you use a cross shaped piece of wood as a staff sling? You slip the tissue roll over the dowel part, and BAM! instant staff sling!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #118 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 4:08pm

All good ideas, Centrifugal Sin. Are you a handy inventor?  Can you make any of those?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #119 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 5:22am

Shocked

PB271998.JPG (446 KB | 53 )
PB271998.JPG

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy)