Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roman Slingers Illustration (Read 4413 times)
StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Roman Slingers Illustration
Oct 13th, 2008 at 12:41pm

I found this this morning while searching for something else sling related.

Roman soldiers: Stone slingers and their equipment. Three men all carrying short hand slings, while on ground are sling sticks which gave missiles greater impetus

From "Poliorceticon sive de machinis tormentis telis" by Justus Lipsius (Antwerp, 1605)
Copperplate engraving

Not particularly accurate; but interesting.  I've never seem so many left-handers together in the space place, all slingers to boot!  Notice the slinger on the right, with the loaded sling hung over his shoulder - similar to the description of the Pacific Sling style I mentioned elsewhere here.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Roman Slingers Illustration
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 1:07pm

Well the picture has probably been reversed at some point in its life. You'd be amazed how often that happens in the media. The short fat sling and 'ammo in cloak' detail looks like an attempt to copy from the Trajans column slingers. But look again at this picture.... how are you supposed to reload your sling if you are holding your cloak up like they are?

There looks like a sling plus arrow combo on the bottom right, although the arrow looks like it has a strap of its own attached so it might be a javelin and an unrelated hand-sling rather than an attempt to illustrate a kestros.

The staff sling on the bottom left has a manual release and no real freedom to swing for the pouch. I am not clear what is going on with the middle one.

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 4:17pm

I'veseen the "Ammo Cloak" in other illustrations.  It's a footwork trainer... drop the Ammo Cloak and see how quickly you can dance to prevent getting your toes smashed Roll Eyes

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 8:44pm

I agree - the plate has almost certainly been reversed.

The illustration on the left, at least, appears to be 'after' Trajan's column, pictures in the images section of this site.

Oops, now I've properly read the earlier postings: I havn't written anything beyond David's stuff. Anyway I vote for most of the stuff he writes Cheesy

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 8:44pm

The left hand figure must be copied from Trajan's column; it would be interesting to know what the source for the middle figure is (with fanciful helmet; fanciful pelta, and interestingly, an "exomis" which leave one shoulder bare-- quite credible-- from Roman sarcophagus ?)-- let alone the right hand "ammo carrier".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)