Horseback slinging (Read 2258 times)
David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Horseback slinging
Oct 11th, 2008 at 11:24am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGHge4FQ8aM&NR=1

Starting at 1:50 the voiceover says "We will suffer terrible losses but you must drive home the attack", during this a pillion rider on a  horse uses a sling to bring down a Roman cavalryman.

The rest of the clip is reckoned to be historically accurate, so is there any primary source for two-up cavalry slingers (or archers)?

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: Horseback slinging
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2008 at 11:26pm

Yeah if I remember correctly one of the greek authors ( forget which one) described mounted slingers.

Sorry I can't help beyond that

Marc Adkins

David Morningstar wrote on Oct 11th, 2008 at 11:24am:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGHge4FQ8aM&NR=1

Starting at 1:50 the voiceover says "We will suffer terrible losses but you must drive home the attack", during this a pillion rider on a  horse uses a sling to bring down a Roman cavalryman.

The rest of the clip is reckoned to be historically accurate, so is there any primary source for two-up cavalry slingers (or archers)?

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Re: Horseback slinging
Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 8:41pm

I have a feeling that the speech Hadrian gave to assemble troops at Lambaesis, and inscribed on stone (and found and published) mentions mounted slingers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)