Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cortaillod Sling (Read 2561 times)
winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Cortaillod Sling
Oct 2nd, 2008 at 1:49pm

Any body have any pics or other information on this sling?

About the only thing I know is that it came from the Cortaillod Area ,around Lake Neuchatel. supposedly a pouch and part of a cord were excavated from the first Lake Dweller excavation there. Based on some preliminary research it would date between 3100 and 2450 b.c.

I have a drawing in a pdf. It looks similar to the Lahun sling but that's just a guess based off of the drawing.

According to several Late 19th century early 20th century texts that reference it, It is the earliest sling ever recovered. But I have my doubts about that. But then again 100 + years have elasped since it's discovery.

Ok folks back to the salt mine. When I get home I'll post the references that I have to it.

Marc Adkins
« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2008 at 4:14pm by winkleried »  

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: Cortaillod Sling
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 4:12pm

Here's an Illustration of the sling pouch and a portion of the cord.

Ok Apprently I can'tattach doc files to messages. PM me and give your e-mail and I will send it to however is intrested

Marc Adkins

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Reply #2 - Oct 12th, 2008 at 4:49pm

Winkleried,

do you have in mind a sketch showing parts of a sling which had been found in a Swiss lake in the 1860'ies? Please mail yout pictures. I got a picture of such a sling which is dated to the La Tène period about 900 B.C. As I'm informed there has been found only one sling in a lake. So it should be the same and we should discuss the question of its age. Tonight I didn't find my papers but I will post what I have.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 1:32pm

Let medouble Check my sources. Off the top of my head it was around 1875-1876 was found somewhere Around Lake Neuchatel.

Added later:
Yes I belive we are talking about the same sling.

Marc Adkins

funda_iucunda wrote on Oct 12th, 2008 at 4:49pm:
Winkleried,

do you have in mind a sketch showing parts of a sling which had been found in a Swiss lake in the 1860'ies? Please mail yout pictures. I got a picture of such a sling which is dated to the La Tène period about 900 B.C. As I'm informed there has been found only one sling in a lake. So it should be the same and we should discuss the question of its age. Tonight I didn't find my papers but I will post what I have.

funda iucunda

WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark)