Your favorite weight? (Read 7192 times)
peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Re: Your favorite weight?
Reply #15 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 1:04am

Brutus, I think you'll like them both a lot.  I am fond of simplicity, and that's primarily why I favor the paracord slings -- they are made of nothing but paracord! Can't get any simpler.

Ironically, I really have not tried the solid pouch model with my golf balls yet.  I did use glass bonbons though (smaller than golf balls) and my technique sucked so I had marginal success then.  The split pouch, when made the correct size, has no problem reliably holding the golf ball.  So I've been using the split pouch slings I've made exclusively, in large part because they are far easier to make, and if they were to become worn, I have backups made already.
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2008 at 2:51am by peacefuljeffrey »  

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #16 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 2:15am

Golf balls respond best with moderate back spin which is achieved by any overhand style that places the release cord completely forward  in the vertical plain. Use a narrow grip with shortish sling. Gradually increase the sling length as desired.          

Just remember to measure your casts to the point of impact the best you can.
The roll and bounce add distance but that only counts when playing golf. LOL

tom

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #17 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 2:57am

Quote:
 What is needed is a pouch that releases the shot easily,and won't cradle it and give it a cozy home to live.I want that thing gone the
moment I choose.

I made a good pouch recently. I have a six-hole pouch from C_A's template and its good for tennis balls but way too large for fast throwing with stones, there is too much drag.

I made a minimalist pouch using a strip of leather slightly narrower than a golf ball and just long enough to wrap around half way with some free end for cord attachment. About 4" by 1.5".

I split each end towards the center leaving 1.5 inches in the middle. I overlapped the split ends and hole-punched them to produce something like a solid-centered mini aussie pouch.

This wasnt holding quite as well as I wanted so I used my punch to put a hole 1/8" diameter in the center of the pouch. This makes a big difference! It bellies out perfectly now and holds golf balls and stones very securely. There is a small extra tab of leather bound to the release cord and extending down to cover the attachment hole to protect it from wear.

It needs a narrow grip because there isnt any leeway for the rock'n'roll of a wide grip.

I have strung it on about 50" of skinny paracord and there is a big difference between this and my other long slings which all have huge pouches and beefy cords by comparison. The reduction in drag is very noticable.

I took it to Wales and it did many challenging shots throwing out of the plane of rotation which really shows up insecure or overly grabby pouches.

(The leather release tab isnt tearing in half, I used the punch to nip a semicircle out of each side to give it a 'waist'. This is where it twists during rotation. It helps me place my grip consistently and is less jerky as it flips over on each half-spin.)

« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2008 at 1:43pm by David Morningstar »  

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #18 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 3:14am

More pouchy goodness. That small hole in the centre contributes at least 50% of the roundness of the final shape by allowing the leather to stretch. I cribbed this from Dales pictures, if I remember correctly.

IP Logged

Brutus
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #19 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 8:02pm

I think I will make the split pouch quite long, maybe an inch or two past touching the ground with an outstretched hand (I've found I can still do underhand sling like this), but the solid one I'll make shorter so I can get some good practice with overhand.

IP Logged

Fullpower24hour
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Manchester UK
Reply #20 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 7:24pm

heres my split pouch i made from what was called "webbing" in the local DIY shop its like a heavey duty strap material they use with rucksacks and was about a pound a meter ($2 dollars) it makes excellent pouches and melts together very easy with a strong bond. the sling design by the way was copied from "My aussie sling" :    http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1220828945
this is one of my favourate slings.

DSC00221.JPG (1453 KB | )
DSC00221.JPG

IP Logged

Fullpower24hour
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Manchester UK
Reply #21 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 7:26pm

Sorry i dont know how to rescale Undecided

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #22 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 10:45pm

Good looking sling,sir.It's easy in firefox to right click on image and click on view image.To resize is easy.Right click on image inside your computer and then click on open with and then use a program on your computer that deals with images.The one I resize with most is paint.Just click on resize/skewer and give the pecentage you want.Then save.

So what size projectile do you prefer with your rigged Aussie?

Brett

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #23 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 2:48am

Nice work! I have two questions: what is the theory behind the two short sections of cord between the main cords and the pouch? And when you say 'melt', can you describe that in more detail please?

I reckon that mobile phone neck straps would make great golf ball pouches like that.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #24 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 10:48am

jax you need something along the lines of a narrow fairly elongated pouch for your lead sinkers. Yeah cupped pouches can catch small items on the way out.

I'll see what i can do Smiley
pretty sure I had something suitable around here somewhere. Pouch I was trying to shape with epoxy putty that didn't work. If I cut that down a little it should work great for what you want Smiley

Just got to find it lol

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #25 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 4:01pm

Some of the rocks I use and a chicken egg.

Small: 50 g - 1.76 oz
Medium: 120 g - 4.23 oz
Large: 170 g - 6 oz
Extra large: 400 g - 14.10 oz

rocks.jpg (35 KB | )
rocks.jpg

Preserving the sling, mankind´s original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Fullpower24hour
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Manchester UK
Reply #26 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 5:08pm

As far as i'm aware the short sections of chord just make the sling a little more special as you do have to put in a little more effort with the knot tying. it gives it an individual look but dosent seem to give me any advantage or disadvantage when i use it.  and when i say melt i mean just hovering a flame near the edge of the two pouch peices so they shrivel and melt then press them together creating a bond. also i melted the hole that the cords go through which also gives a smooth finish and an extra bond.
i love slinging pebbles that i find on the river near my home an ounce or two gives great accuracy but to be honest, me and my friend have a competition when we meet up to see who can sling the most weird things which is great fun, ive slung logs sheep skulls, plant pots, just about anything really but only for fun. i get a real buz when my friend says "you will never do that" and get a good 50 yards out of what ever i'm slinging. so next time an old boot comes falling from the sky you know who to blaim. You cannot beat the feeling when you find a nice egg shaped pebble though and the thought: "ill save that one".m

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker)