Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Peruvian Sling Fight Festival (videos) (Read 6462 times)
HonderoPeru
Tiro

Pain is weakness leaving
the body

Peruvian Sling Fight Festival (videos)
Sep 9th, 2008 at 3:59pm

Huaraca&&Honda&&Sling&&Foma

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Re: Peruvian Sling Fight Festival (videos)
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 4:47pm

Interesting. looks like it might leave me with a headache

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 9:37pm

Headache is an understatement!What's up with the dude in the portrait montage with his head all bloody.The people in the battles(are they symbolic battles?)seem to be switching sides and intermingling.So gnarly,sometimes you can see people getting hit.At first it appeared that dudes were holding back on their power,but I saw a bunch of them just unloading at like 5 meters,with what appeared to be some fist sized rocks.

Super crazy?

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #3 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 8:12am

I'm afraid I totally don't understand what I just saw.

I watched the first video.  Lots of dancing and culturally-alien singing, and I thought I saw slings and rocks involved, but wasn't sure.  Were these people actually slinging those chipped rocks where people were to be in danger of being hit?  WTH?! Roll Eyes

Cradled rock is slung&&Once around the back and gone&&Flying far and true

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 2:21pm

Even for us Peruvians, the whole concept of this battle is utterly incomprehensible, but itīs an important part of the andean traditions. Every year there are casualties, you can actually see a dead guy with a blood stain on his hat.

As for the singin, they are speaking in quechua so I have no idea what they are saying, but hereīs a translation for the captions on the first video

If I live, Iīll be back
If I die, I wonīt be back
Only my soul will be back

That is the way my life will be
So on the Chiraje I must die

At the very end of the first video, the narrator says:
"The spilled blood belongs to the earth, on this battle, they are all victorious"

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #5 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 11:42am

If this thing was not "CULTURE", I would think it was insanely stupid.  But of course, if it is culture, it must be OK Cheesy
timann

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #6 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 7:58pm

timann wrote on Sep 11th, 2008 at 11:42am:
If this thing was not "CULTURE", I would think it was insanely stupid.  But of course, if it is culture, it must be OK Cheesy
timann

I agree.  There are some things cultural that really ought to be left behind, abandoned, as they are not necessary to be kept close to the heart of a people's identity.

If we figured out a way to dispose of human waste with portable vaporizers like something out of Star Trek, would we cling to the "tradition" of toilets and keep them around even though they were nothing more than a now-obsolete necessary evil?

I love the traditional aspects of slinging -- but what is the NEED to have people get HURT or KILLED to keep a tradition alive?

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #7 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 9:06pm

HonderoPeru,

Very interesting pictures. Do you know if this is the only such 'festival', or what the tradition behind it is?

For those who have the Cahlander book on sling braiding, the picture on the front was taken during this, or a similar, festival.

IP Logged

peacefuljeffrey
Interfector Viris Spurii

Peace through superior
slinging power!

West Palm Beach
Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 1:51am

Rockman wrote on Sep 10th, 2008 at 2:21pm:
At the very end of the first video, the narrator says:
"The spilled blood belongs to the earth, on this battle they are all victorious"

Is that what they tell the guy who loses an eye or suffers a Traumatic Brain Injury?  Perhaps they tell that to the 8 year old kid who loses his dad.  Or to the 8 year old kid whose arm gets permanently disabled after being shattered by a rock...
I'm afraid I just don't get it.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 7:34am

Fascinating.

For those who don't understand there are several ways to look at this kind of thing.

1) for a people who see their traditional way of life and culture being eroded by the modern world, hanging on to ancient traditions - even violent ones is one of the few ways they can express their culture. For the andean indians this is important more to reassert their traditional culture than anything.

2) this kind of thing is prevalent worldwide. Don't believe me ? Spanish bullrunning, english intra village 'football' matches etc. Traditionally this kind of thing helps young males establish their place in the soceity. It also allows for intra tribal feuds to be sorted out during an amnesty period. What happens during the festival stays on the festival field and life proceeds better because of it.   

3) it also sends a message to the current government. 'We're not people you can mess with'.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 12:27pm

Of course there are seweral aspects to this thing.  When I first saw it, I decided it was not worce than the bull runs, a rock in the head, a bull horn up somewhere, so what Wink
And of course young male football supporters in england and elsewhere must find their place in the society, it looks great on TV Wink.
I am aware of rather similar stuff in africa and in the Amaconas area. 
And even here in norway, there is fights in the weekends, a tradition too.

The "sling festival" would have been fun with water balloons.
timann

IP Logged

Rockman
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Lima, Peru
Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2008 at 1:00pm

curious_aardvark  reasoning is pretty much spot on. Many years ago, my antropology teacher showed us some videos of a number of celebrations of villages deep in the Andes. He told us "Itīs easy for outsiders to consider some aspects of traditions completly insane, which is a case of inebitable egocentrism" the same people who have no problem busting their heads open with a sling might look upon English Hooligans and view their ways as idiotic.  

Poor comunities or people with dangerous jobs are very suppersticious, case in point, fishermen. Almost universally, fishermen throw some kind of offering to the sea or hold some sort of ritual before going inside.

Mountain climbers usually dig some sort of "present" at the foot of the mountain they intend to climb.    

In the case of the Chiraje, they repay the land they depend on with the spilled blood.

In case you didnīt notice, the people on horseback use staff slings, check it out.

Preserving the sling, mankindīs original Magnum. Rookie slingers are modern superheroes: Never far away from trouble. Rockman sling tutorial: http://slinging.org/index.php?page=how-to-make-a-rockman-sling---bruno-tosso

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 1:52pm

timann I'm not talking about football/soccer.

I'm talking about the very ancient inter vilage traditions that involve pretty much the entire male population of 2 villages.
They meet on central ground and the general idea (there are slight variations between matches) is to get a ball/object into the opposing village.

It's a bit like a day long 400 man rugby scrum - but with no actual referee or rules. standing apart and having at it with slings might be considered a bit 'soft' by the participants in these events lol

Probably vids on youtube somewhere.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 7:32am

Sorry for my mistake, curious_aardwark.  Now, that sounds like good, clean, healthy fun Wink
timann

IP Logged

Dave M
Descens

Slinging Rocks at seagulls

Littlehampton West Sussex Eng
Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 11:29am

I will agree that some of the inter village football matches here in the UK are a bit viloent there is one where the ball takes the form of a small wooden barrel filled with warm beer and yes there are injuries but nobody forces people to do this so it is up to them. If you know that you are going to get hurt the choice is yours play or don't play.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Kick)