Send Topic Print
power and distance (Read 6259 times)
slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
power and distance
May 15th, 2008 at 1:49pm

I've seen u tube videos of slingers hitting targets from various distances. They ranged anywhere
from 10 to 50 feet. Got me wondering. Is this a fair test of the power? I mean, is the power of the stone the same at 10 feet, than say 50 or 100?

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Re: power and distance
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2008 at 2:11pm

The power of any projectile will fall off the further it goes.  This is due to a loss in velocity.  The energy, or power, of a projectile can be calculated by multiplying the weight times the velocity squared, and then dividing by 450395 (this is if the weight is in grains, and the velocity is in feet per second).  Given the greater mass of a sling projectile over a rifle or pistol bullet, velocity is not lost as rapidly, and overall energy remains more constant at greater range. 
That being said, you are definately going to have a difference in hitting power between 10 and 100 feet.  How much depends on how fast you can sling, and how heavy you projectile is.

When in doubt, shoot for the head (worked for David anyway...)

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #2 - May 15th, 2008 at 2:17pm

Here are a pair of handy wesites when trying to calculate the foot pounds of energy from a projectile.  The first is the energy calculator, and the second allows you to convert whatever weight measurment you use on you sling stone into grains for entering into the balistic calculator.
http://www.reloadammo.com/footpound2.htm
http://www.saveonscales.com/weight_converter.html

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 15th, 2008 at 5:55pm

Silly conversions, go metric.... Wink

IP Logged

BrianGrubbs
Funditor

Joined May 6th, 2008

Alabama
Reply #4 - May 15th, 2008 at 10:52pm

hehe, granted, but since I'm familiar with the balistic information from firearms, that's how I go about doing things.  Cumbersome I know, but it's what I'm used to  Smiley

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #5 - May 16th, 2008 at 12:20am

This forum is not a political forum.Nobody really cares what unit of measurement is used,Let's spend our time reading and posting important information, and quit with the pissing contest.

PLEASE.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Gronk
Ex Member

Unga bunga!

Reply #6 - May 16th, 2008 at 12:46am

aw, man....I was wondering if someone could get up enough Poundals to lob an 80 dram ball of 4 nails circumference more than 100 Ells!

IP Logged

Dave M
Descens

Slinging Rocks at seagulls

Littlehampton West Sussex Eng
Reply #7 - May 16th, 2008 at 5:26am

just wait untill you are as ols as I am some of us are still using Cubits

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - May 16th, 2008 at 7:22am

[quote]This forum is not a political forum.Nobody really cares what unit of measurement is used,Let's spend our time reading and posting important information, and quit with the pissing contest.

PLEASE. [/quote]

Someone have a bad day ?
What's politics got to do with it. I've just written up a recipe and realised at the end that I've used millitres, grams and ounces. lol
And i'm not going to change it either lol

As for the power at different distances - well I throw harder at targets that are further away.
So I suppose it depends on whether you are  intent on [u]just hitting a target[/u] - in which case you tend to throw as hard as needed and no harder. Given that the harder you throw the less accurate we tend to be.
Or whether you are intent on doing [u]as much damage to a target as possible [/u]in which case you throw as hard as you can at all distances.

In the first instance (just target shooting) targets further away will be hit with more power than targets close up. In the second instance it would be the reverse.
:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 17th, 2008 at 6:39pm

Burner wrote on May 16th, 2008 at 12:20am:
This forum is not a political forum.Nobody really cares what unit of measurement is used,Let's spend our time reading and posting important information, and quit with the pissing contest.

PLEASE.

My, my, we ARE a bit touchy aren´t we?
  Grown up in the Netherlands, in that enlightened part of the world that knows reason, has shed the barbaric traditions of the dark ages and therefore abides by the superior metric system, I´ve never seen these conversions before, and they are funny (and cumbersome indeed).

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Reply #10 - May 17th, 2008 at 11:39pm

there is also the question though of gravity helping out with longer casts...

with guns, it is more or less straightforward.  the bullets travel in an almost straight line.  sling bullets over longer distances are travelling in arcs, so gravity adds to the accelleration as they start coming down...no?

so could you say that longer distance shots hit harder than short distance shots perhaps?  or is it more or less balanced out?

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #11 - May 18th, 2008 at 12:03am

Siguy,

Absolutely not.The projectile has maximum velocity upon release and slows down from there.At the peak of the arc the object has already been overcome by air drag,and gravity cannot help it.If you were throwing off of a cliff or mountain things might be different,I think.Then the object would find its terminal velocity.

Thomas,any input on this question from Siguy?

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #12 - May 18th, 2008 at 1:50am

siguy wrote on May 17th, 2008 at 11:39pm:
there is also the question though of gravity helping out with longer casts...

with guns, it is more or less straightforward.  the bullets travel in an almost straight line.  sling bullets over longer distances are travelling in arcs, so gravity adds to the accelleration as they start coming down...no?

so could you say that longer distance shots hit harder than short distance shots perhaps?  or is it more or less balanced out?

It's just the same as tossing a ball straight up into the air. It has maximum speed at the instant it leaves your hand. On the way up both air resistance and gravity slow it down until it stops and starts to come down again. Now gravity makes it accelerate but air drag still tries to slow it down so when you catch it the speed is slower than it was when it left your hand on the way up. If there was no air then the ball would actually regain all its speed and hit your hand with the same speed as it was thrown with. Of course this cannot happen in reality because even in high mountains there is always some air drag. Heavy, dense projectiles are less affected by air drag. That's why baseballs can be thrown a long way whereas tennis balls which are about the same size but much lighter don't go nearly as far. Also air drag varies as the square of the velocity ie. double the speed and air drag goes up 4 times. So a slower moving heavy projectile will retain a greater percentage of its original kinetic energy and "hit harder".

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #13 - May 18th, 2008 at 7:15am

There is no terminal velocity if something is being acted upon by an outside force.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Thomas

Rocks?

NORTHEAST OHIO
Reply #14 - May 18th, 2008 at 9:10am

Somewhere I read about baseballs terminal velocity at 97 mph. A typical golf ball driven out to 250 yards will land at around 45 mph.

tom

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)