Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The sling in Icelandic saga (Read 4520 times)
kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

The sling in Icelandic saga
Apr 22nd, 2008 at 7:18pm

There is a story in the icelandic saga“s (oldest prose in europe) where a man defends his homestead against a large number of attackers (of course some kind of feud going on) using a sling with great skill. His faith is sealed when his evil wife (also a recurring theme in the saga“s, could have something to do with the fact that it was catholic monks who actually wrote them down) refuses to give him a lock of her long hair to repair his sling when one of the strings  breaks.
I could find out which of the saga“s this is, the name of the guy, icelandic word for sling and so on.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Re: The sling in Icelandic saga
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 7:33pm

Yes,please elaborate.

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 7:57pm

hmm, makes you wonder if human hair was used regularly for slings.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 11:21am

Well, hair could be woven. It was used to make the ropes for torsion catapults, so I see noreason why it wouldn't work.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 11:56pm

I believe we have a record of some human hair slings from Polynesia.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2008 at 5:23am

Evil wife? Shocked 

I'm asking my girlfriend for some hair! Grin

IP Logged

kcrandal
Tiro

Don't get your sling in
a twist...

Busan, South Korea
Reply #6 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 6:24am

I heard that it was for use as a bowstring instead of a sling.

And the wife brings up the fact that she was refusing because at some earlier time he had mistreated her (struck her, I believe).

I can't really see human hair doing well as a bowstring, but that's how I heard the story.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 11:01am

For making slings, human hair is strong enough.

IP Logged

kuggur slingdog
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 10:44am

Ehhm, sorry to say Kcrandal is right; my sling obsession muddled my memory somewhat Embarrassed.
Well anyway, he was called Gunnar from Hlišarenda, and history has it he was a good fighter and archer, his melee weapon of choice was an"atgeiri" a halibard/pole-arm kind of weapon.
The story is a bit strange from a tactical point of view, I mean getting into such close combat that your bow string is cut by a swordstip, and still having time to argue with your wife about repair materials strikes me as a bit odd. Well there was a doorway involved so who knows? Still have the feeling his pole arm might have served him better under the circumstances.

About his wife Hallgerša, she was at the time not regarded as evil on ground of her refusal to help her husband. Gunnar had some time earlier declined to support his wife in a matter of honour; this loss of honour was regarded (literally) as a matter of life and death. Making her actions a justifiable revenge....

The icelandic word for sling is valslöngu, or slönguvalur, depending on who you ask... Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar)