Send Topic Print
Spell-Check (Read 16843 times)
Camo-sling
Interfector Viris Spurii

Forge your own path.

Australia
Spell-Check
Apr 17th, 2008 at 3:26am

Ive read a quite alot of articles and noticed some spelling mistakes and I had a thought that we could include a spell check button/option when writing a topic/p.m/reply. Does anyone agree that a spell-check option should be included in the YaBBc tags?

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Re: Spell-Check
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 3:04pm

I would love a proper spell checker, by preference one that knows British as well as American English.
But just one language would do if no better one is available.

On the other hand, the worst spellers have English as native language and are just too lazy to read what they wrote. Most mistakes would show up with reading back and taking time to change to proper language.

Willeke

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #2 - Apr 17th, 2008 at 3:14pm

Mozilla Firefox has a built-in spellchecker for everything the user types. I'd recommend that.

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 5:57pm

spell checks are for wimps - real men make typos :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

timann
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Norway
Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 2:41pm

Well, as a not-natural-english writer, I suppose it would be OK with a spell check.  But I like it whithout, too.
Now, I must read and re-read a few times what I write, to find bad spelling.  And this gives me a little chance to try to sort out bad thinking and logic, too.  Can be rather usefull, sometimes Smiley

And it allways seem to be possible to comprehend what bad spellers intend to write, if   a bit annoying, sometimes..

timann

IP Logged

southpaw
Descens

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2008 at 1:02am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1208417167/0#3 date=1208555830]spell checks are for wimps - real men make typos :-)[/quote]

That's rite, kurious ardvark!  ::)

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - May 12th, 2008 at 7:33am

Of course the whole north american education system insists on building typos into the english language people over there are taught anyway :-)

colour - much too complicated let's miss spell it color.
And then there's the whole al gore school of spelling. We'd just need too many dictionaries :-)
So at the end of the day we all spell differently and think we're right.
:-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #7 - May 13th, 2008 at 6:23am

As long as you can understand it.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - May 14th, 2008 at 7:15am

exactly apparently as lnog as the ltrrers at the strat and end of the wrod are coerrct we can work out what the word is suppoesed to be anyawy.

Which is pretty cool :-)

IP Logged

Dave M
Descens

Slinging Rocks at seagulls

Littlehampton West Sussex Eng
Reply #9 - May 18th, 2008 at 12:01pm

Try and find a copy of Bill Brysons book Mother tongue this will give you a good insight how the English language evolved

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - May 19th, 2008 at 7:58am

lol but he's an american ;-)

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2008 at 7:12pm

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1208417167/0#10 date=1211198324]lol but he's an american ;-)
[/quote]

Actually, he's back on your side of the pond again. Unless you're talking about original nationality... Then he's a Iowan!
;D

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #12 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 7:50am

just a quick update - I've recently switched over to firefox on all machines and it prompted me today to install an english - british dictionary.

So that's the answer - get firefox, it's very good.

IP Logged

Branmun
Tiro

Never drink and sling

northwest ontario
Reply #13 - Dec 6th, 2008 at 11:29pm

I think YaBB 2.3 has a spell-check, but then you'll have to update everything, move the posts, setup the forum to just the way you want it(although I'm guessing the old css will not need vary much change). But I never seen any communication problems anyway so Smiley

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes. -Jack Handy

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #14 - Mar 9th, 2009 at 5:25pm

no! most internet spell checkers are horrible, when i type 'wen' instead of 'when' it says every possible word except for when itself best not use it

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner)