Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: ads on slinging.org?
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 1:55pm

[quote]mail him a check [/quote]
Nope no can do. Banks generally refuse to cash cheques written in another country.

having gone into international money transfers recently in respect to paying tint for getting me some tai chi fans from hong kong. Essentially banks are happily ensconced in the 19th century and refuse to admit that transferring money electronically is easy and quick.
Even - and cynical as I am - I found this hard to believe, even if it's just a different branch of the same bank.
Yep the hong kong and shanghai banking corporation has branches all over the uk, but refuse to let you pay money into another hsbc account that is not uk based. Talk about old fashioned gits.

What you can do. Is buy some travellers cheques (usually commission free) sign both parts and put the name of the person you want to pay in the middle. Apparently this is now as good as money anywhere in the world, but only the person named can cash it - presumably they are asked for proof of identity. Dunno really but it's what my bank staff told me to do - we'll see if it works :-)

EDIT: No it didn't work :-(
« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2008 at 11:05am by Curious Aardvark »  

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joshskijam

Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati!

NY
Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 7:50pm

Speaking from first hand knowledge, having an ad banner doesn't always mean a decent amount of money. I have one on my site. You only get money if a bunch of people click on it and go to the other sites. I don't know if slinging.org would haven't enough traffic to make it worth it. Maybe a paypal account would be the best option. Or a sling auction of some sort.

josh_skijam84 joshskijam  
IP Logged

CanDo
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

New England, USA
Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2008 at 11:26pm

From my web experience, a simple text ad would cover 100% of the site's costs with some extra change for the work involved.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 11:06am

[quote] Maybe a paypal account would be the best option.[/quote]

Already exists - check link from the Home page.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Dave M
Descens

Slinging Rocks at seagulls

Littlehampton West Sussex Eng
Reply #19 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 10:05am

Paypal is not that bad it works for me, but I totally agree that this site without adds is something to treasure, we sling, we are different, lets keep it that way.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #20 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 7:52pm

I agree with Bjarn and as soon as I can I will also be sending in a donation

Marc Adkins

Quote:
Definitely no ads and as soon as I can I will donate to the site!

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Dave M
Descens

Slinging Rocks at seagulls

Littlehampton West Sussex Eng
Reply #21 - May 18th, 2008 at 12:09pm

I for one prefer no ad's, ad breaks on the telly are just long enough to make a cup of tea or coffee or as prefer to pour a beer

IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #22 - Oct 17th, 2008 at 11:32pm

As curious_aardvark points out, there is a "contribute" button the left-hand side of the homepage.  Because I upgraded it to a business account, it takes both paypal accounts and credit cards (no paypal account needed!).

In regards to advertising, the site will remain ad-free for the foreseeable future.  The site brings in enough donations to pay for hosting and save up a little for expenses like printing shirts and sending slings to people we're trying to bring into the fold (historians, professors, TV producers, etc.).  

Chris

IP Logged

dork
Funditor

I feel Smurfy when I'm
smurfing!!!! You too?

In Beautiful Wisconsin
Reply #23 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 7:15pm

Thats just plain awesome

IP Logged

xxkid123
Past Moderator

Hallo, ich heiße kartoffel

new to california
Reply #24 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 9:11pm

my brain isn't so complex, but i think we could have an adds section, doesn't mean we have to look at it, the companies just want to know that sites actually show them or not, even if you have to (ahem) put it in a nearly un find-able place

There's no break, there's no end, just a-living on;&&Wide awake, with a smile, going on and on.
xxkid123 tanma101  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus)