Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Possible way to clock your stone speed. (Read 26134 times)
Yahweh Bless you in Yeshua
Interfector Viris Spurii

Matthew 11:25-30

Re: Possible way to clock your stone speed.
Reply #30 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 4:04pm

I'll pull the audio track and see.  Don't know why I didn't try it earlier.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #31 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 4:35pm

147fps give or take.  Pulled the audio track from the video, converting it to a .wav file.  Jibes nicely with the release and impact frame time lapse on video.  Of course, I was using over 4oz ammo in an accuracy exercise which accounts for the slow velocity.  

I wouldn't be surprised to hear of double that velocity in a flat out speed exercise by some here.

Making sure the mic is at midpoint and starting the measurement where the trough meets flatline on release, and vice versa for impact sound waveform will aid in accuracy.

My rock made a buzzing sound during flight which can clearly be distinguished from release in the sine wave graphic produced by my waveform editor.  Fun stuff!

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reply #32 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 2:29am

Cool

Great show Aussie, so simple and effective, and here I am trying to arrange a radar gun with help from my baseball friend.  Roll Eyes

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #33 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 3:06am

Glad to be of service.

Thanks for the info, TS. That speed still works out to be over 100 mph, hardly slow. With a 4 oz stone it certainly put paid to the notion that it would not be possible to kill a man with a sling.

Actually with the speed of sound at around 300 m/s the error introduced by not having the microphone positioned exactly equidistant from the slinger and target will generally be fairly small, but could be as high as 20% for a fast slinger if the recording was done at either extreme. However it would be quite easy to correct the measured flight time by working out the difference in times taken for the sound to arrive from both sources, and then either adding if the target was closer, or subtracting if the slinger was closer.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #34 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 12:25pm

You're right, the error would be small enough to hardly matter except for extreme speed exercise covering appreciable distance.   Speaking of which,  who wants to be the first person on Slinging.org to post video of themselves (heck, even a complete stranger, anybody) breaking 300fps averaged speed at say 100ft?  

Dumb question, I know.  Let me guess....

Such an 'arduous' convoluted and confusing enterprise once again, defaults to me.

Roll Eyes

You know.....

Perhaps regrettably,  I've taken a 'lacksadaisical approach' to the hobby of slinging in recent years.....but compared to all the yakking and theorizing that is the rather large preponderance of slinging.org's constituency, Aussieslinger, myself and a few others here are relative 'superstars'.

The chief reason I haven't demonstrated myself breaking every record (both existent and non existent)  with the sling is to give others the opportunity to share in the fun of actually doing it and sharing the example.  Yes, I said F-U-N....as opposed to 'work'.

And I'm 40 yrs old and at least 50lbs overweight!

How pathetic is that?

We're pathetic.  The lot of us.  

Our sport is spurious, totally irrelevant.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #35 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 2:13pm

And your point is...?  Huh

If you go out and do something that is not forced upon you, and then come back and expect to be a martyr for doing it... Sorry, that doesn't work.
However, for your hard work and assistance in gathering sling information, Thank You!

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #36 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 2:26pm

Martyr?  Martyrs require causes. 

Slinging hardly qualifies as a cause.  In it's current collective form, it hardly qualifies as anything more than an excuse to share collective outgassing.

Martyr.  LOL!

Yakk Yakk....

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #37 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 2:30pm

Sooo... Being on this site irritates you? I see an extremely easy solution...

Or is it that most of the people on this site aren't so into slinging that they work hard to transform it into a "cause"? That solution isn't quite as accessible...

Seriously, if seeing people sit around and yakk about random slinging stuff bothers you, don't read it!! If you want people to be more serious, then create your own site, or petition the mods to eliminate all random banter.

In which case these last few posts would be deleted.

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
IP Logged

Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #38 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 3:42pm

Quote:
Seriously, if seeing people sit around and yakk about random slinging stuff bothers you, don't read it

I only stopped in because I forgot my hat.

And of course, Aussieslinger's admirably unflagging enthusiasm caught my attention as did Kristal's amazing book! 

Ethan, I see I've touched a nerve....I'll leave you in peace.

And don't worry, I'll try not to let that revolving door, powered by the droning winds of complacent mediocrity hit me in my dismal, fat caboose, on the way out.

TS

Blessings in Yeshua!&&

IP Logged

Gunsonwheels

Slinging Rocks!

Wyoming Shoshone River Valley
Reply #39 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 5:01pm

From Aussie...

Quote:
This afternoon I tried some experiments recording the sound of the sling with my daughter's computer using "Audacity". This program not only records the sound but produces a sound wave graph with a time scale. The swish of the sling release and the whack of the ball hitting a brick wall are very distinctly heard and the time between them easily read from the graph. Over several readings I got quite consistent measurements.

0.21 sec to travel 8.1 metres giving a velocity of 38.6 m/s. (approx. 85 mph)

a slinger down in Arizona did a thing a while back using this same technique with the following modification...

He hung two full size sheets of newspaper a known distance apart (don't know if he framed the top and bottom or not) and set his notebook computer equi-distant between them with the program running... stepped back and threw several stones through the papers... retrieved the computer and analyzed the data.  "whap" "whap" then dividing the distance with the time interval between whaps and you've got it aced.

I think he was getting velocities in the mid 40's (in M/s).

George N

IP Logged

big_sling_gland
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 5:04pm

Where do you get that program?

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #41 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 9:46pm

BSG,

The program I used is called "Audacity". http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Mate, computers are hardly my strong point. If I can use it anyone can!

GOW,

The sheets of newspaper idea may be good to measure how much velocity drops at any given distance but it just adds unnecessary complication. I just picked 8.1 m at random, there happened to be a mark on the ground that was easy to measure to. Also I didn't have to worry about aiming at a target just whack at the garage wall. I wasn't trying to etablish any speed records, only to see if the method worked, which it certainly does.

Regards,

Aussieslinger.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #42 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 10:28pm

So the methods certainly are accessible to anyone... There just needs to be a set system for measuring, to make sure everyone is as accurate (or inaccurate) as the rest of us.

I'm curious, how would that be set up?

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #43 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 7:53am

Quote:
breaking 300fps averaged speed at say 100ft?

What is meant with that? Getting a stone or whatever to break 300fps at a 100ft away from you? To me that does not sound possible.

Meanwhile I am still going on with my arrangements to aquire a radar gun to measure velocity at release, ooooooohh how painfull.  Wink

Coenie

Keep your shoulder to the wheel&&Your hand to the helm&&Your eye on the ball&&Your nose to the grindstone&&Your ear to the ground&&And you will not have time to put your foot in your mouth.&&&&(unknown)

IP Logged

Africa_Slinger

I love Slinging.org!

Reply #44 - Jan 11th, 2008 at 8:00am

Quote:
We're pathetic.  The lot of us.
  Shocked

Speak for youself, if you do not want to send a rock ripping through the air @ 300fps a 100ft away from you, please do not do it. Who would put that terrible burden on your shoulders etc. yakk, yakk, yakk

Coenie

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Kick)