Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
why does slinging.org try to read my clipboard? (Read 7407 times)
kellymcdman
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

minnesota
why does slinging.org try to read my clipboard?
Oct 22nd, 2007 at 11:56pm

can anyone tell me why when i post, i get a message asking if its ok if slinging.org reads the contents of my clipboard? seems like an attempt to invade my privacy...

IP Logged

siguy
Interfector Viris Spurii

si vis pacem para bellum

connecticut
Re: why does slinging.org try to read my clipboard
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 6:33am

that's odd...i don't get that at all...mine just posts.

if you want peace prepare for war&&&&my site
IP Logged

Loki
Descens

One with the sling I am

Clovis, Ca.
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 7:07am

Likewise, maybe your firewall (if you have one) is a little screwy. Grin

Loki  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 9:13am

test  using FireFox Wink Just posts; no clipboard discussion

Found the following in a YABB forum on the net.

This is an IE7 thing - to quote from another site...

MS IE7 fix

Go to Tools -> Internet Options.

Go to Security tab.

Select “Internet” zone, then click on “Custom level…” button.

Scroll down to “Scripting” section (at the bottom few).

Under “Allow Programmatic clipboard access” option, check or select (tick) disable. Default action for this option is Prompt, which cause the pop-up message whenever there is any attempt to access the Clipboard.

Click Ok twice to exit from Internet Options.

Changing the preference to Enable for “Allow Programmatic clipboard access” option can increase security risk. You can set it to Disable to disallow all website’s access to Clipboard’s resident data. However, the better and more secure alternative is to edit the “Allow Programmatic clipboard access” setting for “Trusted sites” zone (steps same as above, only that you select “Trusted sites” in step 3 instead of “Internet”), and add the websites that you trusted and selected into Trusted sites zone.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 2:09pm

uninstall ie7 if you're using windows xp - unless you've got vista then just shut down all the microshaft 'security' crap. or just follow advice above :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Æthelbera
Interfector Viris Spurii

Resident Cavegirl

grieving- august 13th/09 :(
Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 8:31pm

NO ONE should invest in Vista.

...&&Each all must his end abide. august 13th, rip Sad&&Varje man är sin egen konung.
WWW Æthelbera  
IP Logged

kellymcdman
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

minnesota
Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 8:39pm

mmm.. i'm using windows xp media center edition sp2 with mozilla firefox...

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 11:24pm

maybe you've uncounsciosly broke the rules in the past, or have behaved suspiciosy. (just a sugestion)

Şær wæron ongemang eallra şisra rinca seofone hund manna şa şe wæron wineserhande, şara ælc cuğe weorpan stan mid liğere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #8 - Oct 23rd, 2007 at 11:25pm

ahhhh wait. was that even inside the topic? (i may misunderstand.)

Şær wæron ongemang eallra şisra rinca seofone hund manna şa şe wæron wineserhande, şara ælc cuğe weorpan stan mid liğere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

Dale
Interfector Viris Spurii

California, USA
Reply #9 - Oct 24th, 2007 at 1:34am

Just a bit of history: if you have ever heard the phrase "national beta test", here is where it came from: 'way back in the '80s, Micro$oft came out with Word version 3 for the Macintosh.  The company I worked at used it, we liked Word 2 very much, we didn't realize that Word 3 was built by a different set of programmers.  Bought it, installed it, crashed every Mac we tried to run it on.  Microsucks had shipped it before it was ready.

I wonder if the same bunch had anything to do with MS-DOS version 4-point-uh-oh?

By the way: Micro$oft Pre$$ publishes a book called Writing Solid Code, which actually has a lot of good advice.  There is an entire chapter in that book about how to avoid buffer overruns and similar errors.  But nobody who works at Micro$oft has ever read that book.  Or else why is EVERY security patch that Bill Gate$ releases, intended to fix a buffer overrun or similar error in the code?

OK, yes, I realize the above is off-topic.  But not by much, since somebody already brought up Internet Exploiter version 7...

No, I don't live in a glass house.&&&&"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."&&&&Context matters!  "Nothing but net" is a BAD thing in tennis...
IP Logged

kellymcdman
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

minnesota
Reply #10 - Oct 25th, 2007 at 1:19am

to go back to the original question. WHY does this site do the clipboard reading? i've never came across another site that asks that, and                                 i've gone to a lot of different sites on this thing. not even google asks to read the clipboard. i'm not saying i'm mad about it, just curious      about whats different about this site from all others.

IP Logged

Willeke
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Give me some string and
I know what to do.

Netherlands
Reply #11 - Oct 27th, 2007 at 3:55pm

I have that message also, that the site is able to read my clipboard, I am so used to it apearing that I did not even remembered it till I just posted a few minutes ago.
It came with the last update in Yabb software, and only works if your computer security is on.
Ignore it, it is something that Yabb software is capeble of, but so are many other programs. It is not something a decent site like this one is using.

My e-mail program is not showing any pictures unless I accept them, because of the chances of the system of the sender finding me getting the pictures in and following.
Till the recent updates I did not even know that the pictures where not part of the mail.

Anytime I want to post and the message flashes I just click OK, never been able to set an OK for all time.

Willeke

PS, I let it have a look, because it does safe me having to type the text again if the posting fails, which has happened to many times in the past.

"Never underestimate what a simple person can do with clever tools, nor what a clever person can do with simple tools." - Ian Fieggen - Writer of A booklet on lanyards, PM for info - Member IGKT, Netherlands
Bad spellers of the world: untie!
IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #12 - Oct 27th, 2007 at 11:28pm

Willeke wrote on Oct 27th, 2007 at 3:55pm:
I have that message also, that the site is able to read my clipboard, I am so used to it apearing that I did not even remembered it till I just posted a few minutes ago.
It came with the last update in Yabb software, and only works if your computer security is on.
Ignore it, it is something that Yabb software is capeble of, but so are many other programs. It is not something a decent site like this one is using.

My e-mail program is not showing any pictures unless I accept them, because of the chances of the system of the sender finding me getting the pictures in and following.
Till the recent updates I did not even know that the pictures where not part of the mail.

Anytime I want to post and the message flashes I just click OK, never been able to set an OK for all time.

Willeke

i like yer siganture.
PS, I let it have a look, because it does safe me having to type the text again if the posting fails, which has happened to many times in the past.

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #13 - Oct 27th, 2007 at 11:29pm

hmm that was stupid i sed what i wanted to inside the quote. i sed "i like yer signature". very dumb of me.

IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #14 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 10:01am

Kellymcdman ..

I'm running FireFox2.0.0.8 on Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
and can't replicate your problem with the pop up message. ??

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)