Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Lead ball molds
Sep 30th, 2007 at 9:54pm

I found lead ball bullet molds at:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1191203237.5777=/html/index.h...

up to about .60 caliber.

Dixie Gun Works' site is not up.

The price is reasonable, about US $25 for mold and handles.  Of course you need a melting pot and ladel but those aren't expensive.

Trebuchet

Smiley

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Re: Lead ball molds
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2007 at 7:29pm

Trebuchet wrote on Sep 30th, 2007 at 9:54pm:
I found lead ball bullet molds at:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1191203237.5777=/html/index.h...

up to about .60 caliber.

Dixie Gun Works' site is not up.

The price is reasonable, about US $25 for mold and handles.  Of course you need a melting pot and ladel but those aren't expensive.

Trebuchet

Smiley

I tried the "lost wax" method but I couldn't find the wax.

Ah, me.....

Trebuchet Cool

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

wcy
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 1:34pm

Hello, this is my first post here. 
A source for molds:
www.barlowstackle.com/lead-molds.html
specifically the cannonball sinker mold:
http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=1572&CATID=59
And the egg sinker mold:
http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=1508&CATID=59
Quite a variety of weights, and I like that these have multiple weights in some of the molds.
I'm sure there are other suppliers, this just showed at the top of the search.
Hope this helps.

Have a good day!
Will

On the right side of the grass, suckin' air!

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 1:37pm

Welcome to the jolly fraternity of thing-flingers and thanks for the links.

Trebuchet
Smiley

wcy wrote on Oct 3rd, 2007 at 1:34pm:
Hello, this is my first post here.  
A source for molds:
www.barlowstackle.com/lead-molds.html
specifically the cannonball sinker mold:
http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=1572&CATID=59
And the egg sinker mold:
http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=1508&CATID=59
Quite a variety of weights, and I like that these have multiple weights in some of the molds.
I'm sure there are other suppliers, this just showed at the top of the search.
Hope this helps.

Have a good day!
Will

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 4:12pm

I checked out Barlows Tackle and it offers a "cannon ball" mold in sizes up to five pounds in weight!  Now that's a serious sling bullet.

Some of the other designs almost look like ancient sling bullets in weights up to ten to twelve ounces.

This is worth pursuing.

Trebuchet
Cool

IP Logged

wcy
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Oct 4th, 2007 at 8:33am

Yeah!  A 5 pounder sounds great for use against heavy armor.  What do you suppose the realistic range would be?  It would be pretty horrifying for ground troops to stand up against a force that sent a few volleys of those big uglies.  Best utilized against choice targets of opportunity.  I imagine that it's a bit of overkill on "normal" adversaries.
Case in point, the film the Two Towers.  When the folks of Osgiliath were throwing house sized rocks at the attackers, I'm sure many of you slingers thought "what a waste!"  The same mass of payload in fist or bowling ball sized projectiles would have wiped out dozens (or more) of the enemy.  Just like a big old shotgun.  Those houses should have been held off until the big battering ram was being brought to the fore.
>Sigh< I know, it's sad when a grown man can't watch a fantasy without analyzing it critically.

Have a good day!
Will

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Oct 4th, 2007 at 11:12am

you could probably use a staff sling for  5lb missiles - probably a bit too heavy for practical use in a hand sling.
I probably haven't gone much over rocks weighing 2 lb or so and that puts  a fair amount of strain on your arm.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #7 - Oct 4th, 2007 at 4:06pm

When payday comes I plan to order one of the eight and ten ounce "bowling ball" sinker molds.  Plus a melting pot and ladle.  Years ago I cast "'wadcutter" bullets for my .38 Special and .58 for my repro black powder smoke pole, so I should remember all the precautions.  I stll have a tiny scar on the web of my right hand from a lead spatter.  Your first reflex is to drop everything, but I was in the reloading room and there were (closed and sealed) cans of smokeless powder and commercial black powder everywhere, so I gritted my teeth and waited for the droplet of lead to harden.

Like your idea about using catapult launched grape shot instead of boulders.  Boulders good on brickwork; grapeshot good on troops.  105mm loaded with beehive better than both.   Grin

Trebuchet

wcy wrote on Oct 4th, 2007 at 8:33am:
Yeah!  A 5 pounder sounds great for use against heavy armor.  What do you suppose the realistic range would be?  It would be pretty horrifying for ground troops to stand up against a force that sent a few volleys of those big uglies.  Best utilized against choice targets of opportunity.  I imagine that it's a bit of overkill on "normal" adversaries.
Case in point, the film the Two Towers.  When the folks of Osgiliath were throwing house sized rocks at the attackers, I'm sure many of you slingers thought "what a waste!"  The same mass of payload in fist or bowling ball sized projectiles would have wiped out dozens (or more) of the enemy.  Just like a big old shotgun.  Those houses should have been held off until the big battering ram was being brought to the fore.
>Sigh< I know, it's sad when a grown man can't watch a fantasy without analyzing it critically.

Have a good day!
Will

IP Logged

wcy
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Oct 4th, 2007 at 5:53pm

Trebuchet,
105mm?  Was that in the movie? Wink
But seriously, years back I had a co-worker talk to me about those beehive rounds being used during his time in Vietnam.
Definitely a good thing to have during human wave assaults.
Curious_aardvark,
Righto about a staff sling, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near somebody whipping a 5lb. bullet.  The sling would have to be built tough.  And yeesh, I couldn't find enough wheel weights to cast many 5 pounders.  "I've got one shot, it's a doozy but I sure hope I don't miss!"

I'm going to make me a sling soon, so I can go practice.  I live near the Indian River so I will be able to fling with abandon out into the water.  No lead, just stones.
Take it easy.
Will

(edited for spelling)

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2007 at 8:06pm

wcy wrote on Oct 4th, 2007 at 5:53pm:
Trebuchet,
105mm?  Was that in the movie? Wink
But seriously, years back I had a co-worker talk to me about those beehive rounds being used during his time in Vietnam.
Definitely a good thing to have during human wave assaults.
Curious_aardvark,
Righto about a staff sling, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near somebody whipping a 5lb. bullet.  The sling would have to be built tough.  And yeesh, I couldn't find enough wheel weights to cast many 5 pounders.  "I've got one shot, it's a doozy but I sure hope I don't miss!"

I'm going to make me a sling soon, so I can go practice.  I live near the Indian River so I will be able to fling with abandon out into the water.  No lead, just stones.
Take it easy.
Will

(edited for spelling)

"Beehive."  That's where I ran across a reference to it: in a book about the 'Nam.  The 40mm grenade launcher also had beehive rounds.  The standard frag round didn't arm itself until 20 or 30 feet from the end of the "Elephant Gun" or "blooper" grenade launcher.  I think the gun, top break single shot like a shotgun, was called the M-70.  I stand to be corrected on that.  Could be M-79.  But it was 40mm and some people called it "Thumper" because of the noise it made when firing.

I believe the civilian version sold to police was 37mm, probably on the theory that you couldn't fire a 40mm frag grenade or beehive if you smuggled some back from the war.  The 37mm was tear gas only.  In 1974 I watched Montgomery police try to use their 37mm to smoke some murderous self-styled Black Muslims out of a hideout.  The first round went halfway across the street.  The second missed the building's huge plate glass windows entirely, bounced off the brick wall, and rolled along the sidewalk.

If you want my account of the Great Big Siege of WAPX, send me a PM and I'll post it to you.  I wrote it recently when I was mentioned in a local newspaper as one of the radio reporters who covered the story.  I had a rooftop view of the entire mess.  It was the first story I ever covered as a reporter.

Sling making: there are some excellent designs here, and if you send Chris a small donation, he'll send you a hand made sling.  I sent US $25 and was well pleased with the result.  In the section about "New articles about sling making" two posters give detailed descriptions --- along with photos --- on how to braid a sling.  I'm not brave enough to try that yet.  I saw some photos here of traditional slings with very nice modifications.  One maker used (this is probably the wrong word) hollow metal grommets to reinforce the holes in the pouch through which the cords are tied.  It was not only a great mechanical strain reducer, but was very pretty.

If you'll PM Aussieslinger with your mailing address, he'll send you a sling at no charge.  All synthetic, very durable, and well made.  Mine is marked #54.  He won't even accept an offer of payment for postage.  He'll tell you to do a good deed for somebody else.  Good guy, Aussieslinger.

Have a good day.  I've bent your eyeballs enough.

Trebuchet
Grin

IP Logged

big_sling_gland
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 4th, 2008 at 7:21pm

why not just buy perfect ball berings?

IP Logged

wcy
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 1:02pm

Density of lead vs steel,
Possible cost and availability,
Some may like "rolling their own."   Wink

IP Logged

big_sling_gland
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jan 5th, 2008 at 3:46pm

o ok I just finished making a sort of cilinder with a dome on the end mold its pretty good sturdy got 1 good cast and I ran out of gaz (propane)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris)