Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
slinger on horseback?? (Read 31490 times)
big_sling_gland
Ex Member

Re: slinger on horseback??
Reply #60 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 8:28pm

smgjerald wrote on Jul 12th, 2007 at 4:38am:
I am not sure,will look into it. Although I think it could be somewhat difficult using a sling from a horse,I think it is quite possible,after all boleadora“s (or bola) were often used from horseback and it basically the same principle.

Yes it would be difficult but the Chinese, I think came up with a way to use a bow and arrow on horse back. I think that they would have steered the horse with there feet.

IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #61 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 9:27pm

Mongolians, actually. Along with other assorted "barbarian" tribes.

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #62 - Jan 9th, 2008 at 11:13pm

The Native Americans from the plains tribes seem to have done very well using a bow without sturrups. Roll Eyes

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Ethan
Funditor

so much depends upon a
red wheelbarrow...

On the edge of a lake...
Reply #63 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 11:46am

This is quite true. However, in the grand scheme of primitive invention, they had barely aquired horses when the white men showed up. Roughly 300 years, right? Somewhere in there...
Generally speaking, they didn't really use them enough to invent stirrups, yet...

"Young men go to war. Sometimes because they have to, sometimes because they want to. Always, they feel they are supposed to. This comes from the sad, layered stories of life, which over the centuries have seen courage confused with picking up arms, and cowardice confused with putting them down."&&--Mitch Albom, The Five People you meet in Heaven
WWW Ethan Sithapprentice21  
IP Logged

big_sling_gland
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Jan 10th, 2008 at 5:35pm

I saw on the History channel that it was the Chinese who use a bow on a horse. The whole show was a biography on the bow. Smiley

IP Logged

axon50

Dein Schleuder baut auf
Ihnen.

nz
Reply #65 - Jan 26th, 2008 at 7:10pm

well, dunno 'bout slinging off horseback, but, i find it hard to do a good sling off a bike while moving at a moderate speed (15kmph).

Žęr węron ongemang eallra žisra rinca seofone hund manna ža že węron wineserhande, žara ęlc cuše weorpan stan mid lišere and ne misweorpan. &&&&16 ferses 20 heafodwearde Demena bec. (Judges 20:16)

IP Logged

Caldou
Funditor

Moving the world... rock
by rock.

Picardie, France
Reply #66 - Jun 7th, 2013 at 3:57pm

I don't have a horse, and I wouldn't try it if I could, but I also tried bicyclislinging (or Vélocifrondage in french. Fun fact, there is no direct translation of slinging in french. You shot with a sling.).

Very moderate speed, AussiePouch with my favorite shoestrings folded in 2 to have a short sling, irregular rocks picked up right before the attempt. Start with loaded sling, across the handle in a small dirt road with a lot of ruts.

First shot, low powered underhand, OK. Not my best shot ever, but it went in front of me.
Readying the second shot was a lot more tricky. So much more that I almost fell over the bike Cheesy so the second stone was picked up a few second later, and slung with my feet firmly set on our planet Tongue

Eight in one shot!
The french Slinging club
If it's still moving, keep slinging !
IP Logged

SchlrFtrRkMystc

I want what all men want...
I just want it more

Southern California
Reply #67 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 4:37am

Seems to me most overhand attempts would lose the shot before you could sling it... so best bet from horseback sound like the helicopter sidearm cast. Quite a feat I imagine. So... so far we have only a few Scythian tribes doing it? Is that right? Anyone other cultures recorded doing it? It would make sense that in a sling rich culture those with horses would develop the ability to sling form horseback... could be a useful skill, like horse archery, though much lower rate of fire and accuracy I would think... still... if its a skill you've cultivated why not bring it to horseback?

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #68 - Jun 8th, 2013 at 10:37am

Slinging from horseback is explicity attested for Roman auxiliaries, in the speech of the emperor Hadrian

http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1332408394/31

So yes, it was done. I can't find the text online. Someone wrote a paper about the speech

http://tigerpapers.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/hadrian-presentation.pdf

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #69 - Jun 17th, 2013 at 9:57pm

I have slung from my bike going around 25 MPH on a road(no cars) doing no hands. You have to be going fast enough and be used to high speed no hands(and shooting stuff that throws off your balance on a bike)... and please, please, please wear a helmet, elbow, and wrist pads if its your first try. I can't load a sling on bike easily, but I can easily sling as long as I am going fast enough.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, David Morningstar)