Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
slinger on horseback?? (Read 31491 times)
funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is
den annern sin Nachtigal.

Germany (north of Hamburg)
Re: slinger on horseback??
Reply #15 - Jul 15th, 2007 at 4:49pm

With skill and patience it should be possible to get a horse used to slinging from its back. But in ancient times horses where very expensive and slingers where very poor. At least in the Roman army during republican times it seems very unlikely that a slinger ranking in the fifth class would be able t aford or allowed to use a horse, which was the "weapon" of the "knights". But this doesn't exclude such combination of weapons for other armies or times.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2007 at 3:41pm

actually any trained quarter horse or polo pony would be ideal for slinging as they are used to hands free control and to the riders swinging mallets and lariats around. The horse is the least of your worries :-)

But yeah your traditional slingers wouldn't have had them.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #17 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 12:35pm

from our historical gallery Wink

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #18 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 12:13pm

why are they all riding antelopes ? (or possibly very large goats - check out the beards and bollocks)
Kind of looks like a mythological host - otherwise they would probably have been ridng horses :-)

Possibly not an actual depiction of an actual riding slinging squad.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Ancient weaponry rules:-)

Redneck country,Norway:-D
Reply #19 - Jul 22nd, 2007 at 6:38pm

In that case, that´s some badass goats,they are the size of a grown man Grin

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 12:48pm

could be dwarfs or pygmies.
But those definitely are not horses.
:-)

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #21 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 3:39pm

Yeah,well if I had a group of naked dwarfs or pygmies coming at me on goats I would run wether they had slings or not.. Grin

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #22 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 4:56pm

Maybe they put masks with horns on the horses to make them look more scary?

But I guess some artist just wanted to picture exotic fighters. If in the future someone finds a fantasy comic of our time it will not tell him much about us, will it?

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #23 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 9:42pm

Anybody want to try slinging while riding bareback naked without sturrups?? Grin Grin

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #24 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 12:53pm

The Greeks usually sat on horse back without any underwear. Xenophon recommended a special way to get upon the horse without showing "anything". Riding without saddle is no problem, but had disadvantages during the battle.

As we surely know from the Patagonian indians and Gauchos it was common to throw the bola from horse back. The bola was efficient on a distance of about 60 meters and was used for catching horses and cattle, i.e. rapidly moving targets. The practical difference to slinging from horse back is a question of precisition.

In Tren, Albania exists a picture carved in a rock that shows a slinger hunting on a horse back. It dates from iron age but I have no exact information. The foto is a copy in Vutiropulos, Fernwaffen in Südosteuropa, Leidorf 1991. Unfortunately the copy isn't very good.

So I conclude that slinging from horse back is possible and was done. But I assume that it was used rather while hunting than in the battle because of the social implications of horse (wealthy) and sling (poor).

funda iucunda

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #25 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 2:38pm

funda_iucunda wrote on Jul 28th, 2007 at 12:53pm:
The Greeks usually sat on horse back without any underwear. Xenophon recommended a special way to get upon the horse without showing "anything". Riding without saddle is no problem, but had disadvantages during the battle.

Did they chose this fashion just for civilian riding or also during battle despite the disadvantages? Do you know sources for it? (I just gave a quick look to Xenophon's "On Horsemanship" on the internet, but couldn't find the part, just something about not hitting the horse with the leg when mounting).

Quote:
So I conclude that slinging from horse back is possible and was done. But I assume that it was used rather while hunting than in the battle because of the social implications of horse (wealthy) and sling (poor).

I often have to remember myself that most of those people were probably hundreds of times better with the sling than I am currently. It might be dangerous for me, but for other people slinging was probably a very natural and controlled movement.

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #26 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 10:28pm

Lol,just tried slinging from a mechanical steer(lowest setting)and..well,I now have a fist sized bruise on my right shin Undecided

when I finally managed to follow the motions of the apparatus I actually managed to sling two stones(didn´t have a specific target,just wanted to see if I could sling)
my conclusions:
overhand is extremely difficult,and so is the underhand throw.
Got most success when I angled the sling from a helicopter throw.(something between underhand/helicopter)

If anyone of you want to try this use tennis balls.seriously.a sling loaded with a stone at full momentum hitting your shin is unbelievably painful.
I actually thought my leg was broken,but fortunately it was just my pride that got shattered Wink

smgjerald  
IP Logged

funda_iucunda

Watt den een sin Uhl is

Reply #27 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 4:17am

smgjerald,

Very interesting experiment! I assume that it is even harder than slinging from a trained horse, because these mechanical steers are made just for making you fall down. So you can be proud to have slung successfully from that steer. Cool
Doing the helicopter throw is like a cowboy throws a lasso. It's a motion one can do without hitting the horse or himself.

funda iucunda

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #28 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 9:57am

Well,the steer wasn´t exactly at full speed..It was all a matter of following the steers movement,but seriously, to be accurate from the thing would require a serious amount of training Cheesy
I can´t actually explain how much it hurt when the loaded sling hit my shin,I was in the barn and my wife was in the house watching my name is earl,and she heard my scream loud and clear Embarrassed When I cursing limped back inside,she simply laughed and said I screamed like a little girl Angry

A friend of mine own a bar and purchased a steer to get a new attraction.he stored it in my barn and I was allowed to have a little fun with it Wink

smgjerald  
IP Logged

Steven
Interfector Viris Spurii

RaptorIsAsRaptorDoes

Austin, Tx.
Reply #29 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 10:22am

Sling from horse back ... why not ... I've used lariat, stock whips, sorting staff, and hand gun from horse back. ... just a matter of getting the horse used to your foolish activities..... don't currently have a horse to work with ... don't plan on getting one.  I agree with smgjerald horizotal overhead is the way to go.when mounted.

A Curmudgeon@Large Civilly Fomenting Anarchy one post at a time...I don't like it is not a valid reason and Everyone knows is not a valid rule...Hi Ho, Hi Ho Its Off To Work I Go; As Ci-vi-lly As I Can Be Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho...
THIS ADVICE IS WORTH WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Chris)