Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
slinger on horseback?? (Read 31484 times)
gladiador
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

slinger on horseback??
Jul 11th, 2007 at 7:46pm

Hello to all!

Up to where, the escitas probably combined both recusos in the battle, the sling and the horse. Does someone know if in the primitive(original) italia slingers existed astride?

A greeting!!!
Wink

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Ancient weaponry rules:-)

Redneck country,Norway:-D
Re: slinger on horseback??
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 4:38am

I am not sure,will look into it. Although I think it could be somewhat difficult using a sling from a horse,I think it is quite possible,after all boleadora´s (or bola) were often used from horseback and it basically the same principle.

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 10:36am

There is a passage from Hannibal that mentions horsemen demonstrating thier slinging from the saddle.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 12:45pm

lol but the saddle of an elephant is a helluva lot more stable than a horse ;-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

wanderer
Interfector Viris Spurii

Texas
Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 2:48pm

Slinging from a horse is surely possible, but I wonder in what circumstances one would. I'm not a great horseman, but my impression is that any kind of action involving much of the body would really confuse the horse (shifting balance etc.) and you'd probably end up being thrown off if the horse was moving.

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 6:06pm

wanderer wrote on Jul 12th, 2007 at 2:48pm:
my impression is that any kind of action involving much of the body would really confuse the horse (shifting balance etc.) and you'd probably end up being thrown off if the horse was moving.

The trick is to make the horse sling with you, so that it jumps forth the moment you throw and adds extra power. Wink
You would either need a technique that doesn't change your balance (hard) or just play a dragoon: dismount before participating in the battle.
There is a video of someone slinging from a bike using an underhand throw.

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 7:54pm

I consider myself a relatively experienced rider and would never consider actually trying it..The thought of what would happen if a shot went astray and hit my horse is somewhat unnerving..
Have learned to fire my bow from a horse allthough I am about 4feet from the target,not exactly a mongol warrior Grin After trying it for a few times my respect for  the mongols(and other cultures who used horse archers) went through the roof!!

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 6:32am

smgjerald wrote on Jul 12th, 2007 at 7:54pm:
The thought of what would happen if a shot went astray and hit my horse is somewhat unnerving..

Dead horse or dead human?

The dragoon technique wouldn't be more dangerous than slinging while other humans are near. I still wouldn't try it.
Slinging from horseback however...I would be afraid of hitting the horse during the wind-up with the stone or whipping the horse with the released sling. I definitely wouldn't try that.

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #8 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 8:56am

dead human without a doubt..scaring a horse is not a good idea,especially not if you are sitting on it. Went airborne one time when I learned how to ride, would prefer to avoid doing it again Shocked
would never sling around another human or an animal if it was a possibility I could hit them,after seeing how powerful a slung stone actually is, it is just to dangerous..

smgjerald  
IP Logged

Chris
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

USA
Reply #9 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 11:49am

smgjerald wrote on Jul 12th, 2007 at 7:54pm:
I consider myself a relatively experienced rider and would never consider actually trying it..The thought of what would happen if a shot went astray and hit my horse is somewhat unnerving..
Have learned to fire my bow from a horse allthough I am about 4feet from the target,not exactly a mongol warrior Grin After trying it for a few times my respect for  the mongols(and other cultures who used horse archers) went through the roof!!

They did have special bows and a unique draw (thumb release).  This would have made it easier.

Chris

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #10 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 12:33pm

Sandbumoen wrote on Jul 13th, 2007 at 11:49am:
They did have special bows and a unique draw (thumb release).  This would have made it easier.

And they only fired while all hooves were in the air to avoid shocks that might offset the aim. This timing alone can be quite difficult.

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 1:21pm

I actually prefer thumb release(if you mean index/thumb) for some reason,have not affected my archery but just like to release the arrow that way,feel I have more control that way. I´m probably just weird Grin want to try making a mongol bow in the near future,just for fun Cool

smgjerald  
IP Logged

brass

Slinging Rocks!

Texas
Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2007 at 10:05pm

I think its entirely possible that slinging from horseback was once a fighting skill. Especially if the horse you were on was a combat-trained war horse. They wouldn't stop for anything, and if you can do it with a bow, why not a sling?
Nevertheless, I wouldn't recommend trying it on some trail-riding pony. Unless, of course, you have a death wish.  Undecided

IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 12:55am

If you look at the pictures in the historic section you will see a vase with pictures of mounted slingers, Scythians I believe.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #14 - Jul 15th, 2007 at 11:46am

well bear in mind that you are much higher off the ground that a man standing so a good underarm throw would not only be possible but very effective. I would say that anyone who can play polo - would make an effective horse slinger as the motions and hammer are very similiar to a loaded sling used underarm stylee :-)

You don; want to be swinging it round tour head - but then you don't need to :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Bill Skinner)