Send Topic Print
vegetius (Read 2796 times)
Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
vegetius
Jun 14th, 2007 at 6:10pm

in the articles there are a few well known (to us at least) quotes from vegetius, concerning slings, slingers in the roman army, their positioning in the battle-order and a little about balearic slingers.

i'm reading his Epitoma rei militaris now, and i've found a quote that i haven't seen on this site before, so here it is:

in the book II, paragraph 23.

Quote:
Archers and slingers would put up a scopae i.e. a bundle of twigs or hay and distanced themselves 600 paces* from the target, so that they could hit their mark more often with the arrow, or at least with  the stone from the fustibalus.
It's necessary to be accustomed to rotate the sling only once around one's head, when the stone is being cast from it.

*about 178 meters

please take note that i have the materials in croatian, so the clumsiness of the txt is due to my translation, vegetius is not to be blamed because of it Tongue

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: vegetius
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 9:13pm

Thanks Sir,

I might have to track down a copy ( eventually) and read it myself

Marc Adkins

Mordechaj wrote on Jun 14th, 2007 at 6:10pm:
in the articles there are a few well known (to us at least) quotes from vegetius, concerning slings, slingers in the roman army, their positioning in the battle-order and a little about balearic slingers.

i'm reading his Epitoma rei militaris now, and i've found a quote that i haven't seen on this site before, so here it is:

in the book II, paragraph 23.

Quote:
Archers and slingers would put up a scopae i.e. a bundle of twigs or hay and distanced themselves 600 paces* from the target, so that they could hit their mark more often with the arrow, or at least with  the stone from the fustibalus.
It's necessary to be accustomed to rotate the sling only once around one's head, when the stone is being cast from it.

*about 178 meters

please take note that i have the materials in croatian, so the clumsiness of the txt is due to my translation, vegetius is not to be blamed because of it Tongue

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Mordechaj
Funditor

I love Slinging.org!

zagreb, croatia (europe)
Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 5:51am

oh, it's a really interesing book. just be sure to find an edition that has good explanations and prologue, because by just reading "dry" materials there could be a lot of misunderstandings...

the bold part is for the balearic "traditional" style  Tongue

- resistance is NOT futile -

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 10:48am

The need for a unified way of launching is quite needed. The slingers had to act as one, so that everything went off perfectly. Imagine the chaos if all these slingers in the rows did their own style of launches Tongue

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)