Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Chinese slingers?? (Read 21058 times)
bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Re: Chinese slingers??
Reply #30 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 10:25pm

I stand corrected and appologize to any Mongolians I may have offended.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #31 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 12:59am

" Grin I'd rather drink kava. Grin" - bigkahuna

word to that, bro!!

for anyone who wants to try Kava, there are two types: Waka and Lawena.
both have very  distinct flavours; even though they come from the same plant. Waka (in my opinion) has a nicer flavour and is stronger than Lawena.

Kava is like alcohol except it isn't fermented or distilled, rather the effects are similar to alcoholic intoxication, except that Kava doesn't lower your inhibitions, doesn't make you "groggy" as it increases awareness (also makes you talkative - great for parties) and isn't at all addictive. It's a communal drink, so always have a couple of friends around so you can get euphoric and mellowed ( it's like booze) out together.

also it is said that those who partake in drinking Kava, afterwards always have pleasant and vivid dreams, to which I can attest is true (If you don't believe me, try it yourself) ,beats  waking up with a hangover.

In regards to Kefir and Koumiss, the book The Alaskan Bootleggers Bibel by Leon W. Kania, has some nice recipes or making both. If you make Koumiss watch out for the cottage cheese; the stench is quite bad, but the Koumiss however is quite nice Cheesy

Kava_Fiend

_Orta recens quam pura nites_

some people are like Slinkies
     not really good for anything
        but they still bring a smile to your face
           when you push them down a flight of stairs

www.youtube.com/user/NoturnoNativa

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Ancient weaponry rules:-)

Redneck country,Norway:-D
Reply #32 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 5:27am

Sounds like a fun drink:) Kava is some tribal stuff right?
The Kava stuff actually(Have never tried Kava) sounds alot like Absinth,wich is great stuff. Got legal in scandinavia again a few years ago,and allthough I almost never touch alcohol anymore, I remember how much fun the stuff is Wink

Quote:
I stand corrected and appologize to any Mongolians I may have offended

He said he has heard those rumors before,he is not offended..anymore,lol Grin

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

bigkahuna
past-moderator

Delaware, USA
Reply #33 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 6:17am

Smiley

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
John Walker  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 7:00am

Kava is illegal in the United Kingdom, I think.   Cry  Fascist government, you see.

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #35 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 7:04am

smgjerald,

Kava, tribal stuff? well maybe; it is used by the Islander peoples of the south pacific and I imagine many of them live traditional tribal lives.

Kava isn't actually alcohol. It's a plant / herb. you mention Absynth (Kylie Minogue is one hot green faerie  Smiley) which tastes like licorice / aniseed. umm, I can't really describe the taste of Kava as after about, four or five drinks Kava makes your lips and tongue go numb, it's a cool sensation though. However it does smell the same as nutmeg.

I think I read somwhere that Kava is illegal in scandinavia. I'm pretty sure that it is illegal in germany.

If you ever do get the chance try it,by all means do, you wont be dissapointed.

Kava_Fiend

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #36 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 7:22am

just reviewed what I posted and saw the above post by english

Yeah dude it might be illegal in the UK and other parts of Europe as it was marketed over there (Europe) as a "herbal dietry supplement" or some such name. It was sold and bought in pill form from healthfood shops and the like. Apparently a few people in Germany damaged their livers from taking the pills  because the dosage was to high or they didn't follow the dirctions on the packaging, I read this online somwhere a while back, so I don't know how relevant it is to Kava's status in Europe particularly Germany is at the moment.

If it's any consolation, even in Australia Kava is very hard to find outside of Sydney, it's even illegal to buy it in the Northern Territory, I know as a mate of mine couldn't get his hands on it when he moved to Darwin, he was not happy about it at all Embarrassed.

Kava_Fiend

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #37 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 7:30am

hmm,not sure it is illegal anymore considering absinth got legal a few years back..I think absinth is based of herbs aswell?
absinth really messes with you head if you drink to much of the stuff,remember a friend of mine having a serious conversation the the hair on his arms,then he fell asleep standing in the shower for 4 hours..

yeah called it "tribal stuff" because I have barely heard of Kava,but was sure I heard somewhere it came from some islands Smiley

"What the hell are you doing now?"my dad everytime he came home and witnessed my siege weapon projects,the most patient man who ever lived:-)
smgjerald  
IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #38 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 7:47am

LOL  Grin  Absynth will do that to you, probably one of the best convo's hes had whislt under the influence  Grin

the active ingredient in Absynth is the herb WormWood which apparantly contains psychodelic properties, most of the legal versions that are available at the grog shop have this ingredient ommited or substituted with something else. Pernods is one of the  the most prolific imitation Absynths on the market, it has the flavour and the green goes white colour change but absolutely no WormWood. 

most people don't know this, so the 'placebo effect'  probably helps them chase the green faery.

I'm yet to try it. But when I do (because Absynth is expensive) I'll definately get a bottle that has WormWood in it.  Smiley

Kava_Fiend

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #39 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 7:54am

Can get the real one in Finland,That´s where I tried it the first time..No placebo effect there,since none of us had tried it or even heard much about it.
the one they sell here in Norway is absinth but toned down(same ingredients only less of it),but they will order the real one if you ask.

the first time I tried I had just been wrestling,and it went straight to my head..No more pain only fun Wink

smgjerald  
IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #40 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 8:10am

I'm told they call Absynth 'wife beater' in the UK, don't know if it's true or not.  Finland eh? who needs Absynth or Kava when you can get Pontikka Shocked, which in all probabilities would have you talking to brick walls and pickle your insides nicely.

Cheers for the heads up dude, but I will try and source it locally. I suck at currency conversions and it would probably be cheaper than ordering it internationally, that is unless I have to, to get the real stuff.

like Billy Connolly has said: anywhere where humans go they always  find something to smoke and brew something to drink.

Kava_Fiend

IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 8:22am

I just checked online - kava is illegal.  It would be fairly easy to plead ignorance of the law, but it seems like kava is indeed banned in the UK, and in Canada, as well as places you wouldn't except like the Netherlands and Switzerland, which both have legal marijuana.  (According to potseeds.co.uk anyway.)

Quote:
the first time I tried I had just been wrestling
The oldest and one of the coolest sports in the world.  What style of wrestling was it?

IP Logged

smgjerald
Descens

Reply #42 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 8:25am

I have been greco-roman wrestling for several years,but that particular night it was pro-wrestling:-)
Just to wrestle both greco-roman very actively,but my shoulder was completely destroyed in a match so dislocates all the time..now I wrestle basically for fun and to stay in shape,while pro-wrestling is my hobby:)

smgjerald  
IP Logged

english
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 8:30am

Quote:
but my shoulder was completely destroyed in a match so dislocates all the time..
Ouch.  My uncle used to have a problem like that, and then took up yoga.

Greco-Roman looks great fun, but the rules against using legs in a throw would be hard for me.  Chinese wrestling is all about creating a throw with two different forces operating, making the throws efficient and powerful, and Brazilian jiu jitsu has different aims altogether.

IP Logged

_kava_

Sling making fanatic ;)

Australia
Reply #44 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 9:00am

Im always impressed by how quick or how long bouts can be in greco-roman wrestling and the skill involved. I used to practice judo ('the gentle way' - don't you believe it Wink) so like english, the dampener for me is that you cant use your legs especially when they are so versatile at tripping, trapping and snaring your oponent.

legal ganja and they ban Kava? Kava doesn't mess you up like ganja does.

all the health benefits associated to Kava; social, psychologigal, physical:(Kava brings on deep sleep which helps the body prepare for the next day). far outweighs any of it's negatives like scaly skin which only comes about if you abuse the substance. the scaly skin dissapears when you abstain from drinking kava, at which time you can resume drinking and hopefully not abusing it. that is the only real side effect of kava, can anybody say harmless.

What does ganja do, get you high and gives you the munchies, and it's effects can be permanent for those who abuse it. it's widely documented that prolonged use marijuana can depress the CNS thus making you SLOW  Shocked even if you stop using, so once the damage is done, thats it. 

It's a bloody outrage! Angry

oh well, thats the way the cookie crumbles. but what do I care I do Kava I don't do weed. Huh

sorry for the rant.

Kava_Fiend

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris)