Send Topic Print
Howdie from Ohio (Read 1291 times)
Ken Pfrenger
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Kinsman Ohio USA
Howdie from Ohio
May 17th, 2007 at 8:59am

I was a member here before but for the life of me I can't seem to remember my login or password so I just created a new id....it has been over a year anyhow so why not?

I do play with slings now and then and other primitve weapons, my main focus is on the armed and unarmed arts of Europe with a focus on Shillelagh and singlestick as well as knife.

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Re: Howdie from Ohio
Reply #1 - May 17th, 2007 at 5:18pm

Welcome to the forum Ken Smiley
Is it just me or do we seem to play cyber-tag where ever we go ?

Marc Adkins

Ken Pfrenger wrote on May 17th, 2007 at 8:59am:
I was a member here before but for the life of me I can't seem to remember my login or password so I just created a new id....it has been over a year anyhow so why not?

I do play with slings now and then and other primitve weapons, my main focus is on the armed and unarmed arts of Europe with a focus on Shillelagh and singlestick as well as knife.

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - May 18th, 2007 at 3:34pm

[quote]Shillelagh[/quote] is a martial art ?
I just thought it was a stick with a knobbly end you hit people with.

You actually mean to say there is a genuine honest to good ness irish martial art that doesn't involve potatoes ?

Say on sir !
I'm intrigued :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #3 - May 18th, 2007 at 4:29pm

Several actually...they just have morphed into what people now-a-days look on as a martial sport. If you have ever seen boxing before the Queensbury rules then you have a good idea what I am talking about. If not the fisticuffs were just to wear down your opponent so you could grapple him and take him down.
Unfortunately I had a chance to take early boxing at a Western Martial Art Seminar in Texas this fall, but it conflicted with a Portugese Stick Art (with a world famed teacher) I was taking instead Sad

I'll let Ken fill in the technical blanks here.
Oh yeah reconstructed and traditional Irish stick fighting is one of those arts that is real easy to grasp the basics, but mastering it will take a lifetime.

Marc Adkins

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 18th, 2007 at 3:34pm:
Quote:
Shillelagh
is a martial art ?

You actually mean to say there is a genuine honest to good ness irish martial art that doesn't involve potatoes ?

Say on sir !
I'm intrigued Smiley

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

Ken Pfrenger
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Kinsman Ohio USA
Reply #4 - May 31st, 2007 at 1:01pm

Well honestly I think you have summed up the art of Irish stickfighting pretty good with :

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1179406786/0#2 date=1179516888][quote]Shillelagh[/quote] is a martial art ?
[/quote]

There is not alot more to it than that really...ok I am fibbing a bit but really as my good friend Kirk likes to say...'It's a stick, hit 'em with it!"

There are certain ways the Irish went about hitting each other though and guarding themselves from getting hit plus we have period wrestling and boxing skills thrown into the mix for flavor.
Here is a link to my Irish stickfighting page:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/4933/shillelagh.html

If you have any questions I owuld be happy to at least try to answer them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)