Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Did David use a staff sling? (Read 24752 times)
Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Re: Did David use a staff sling?
Reply #30 - Aug 12th, 2007 at 10:07am

Stoner, the caps look a bit aggressive to me.

Most people on this forum don't doubt that you can get the necessary accuracy to do this feat with a hand sling. Though many doubt that you could do it with an usual staff sling. I guess the original poster's intention was not to say that it was only possible to do this with a staff sling, I understood him as if he just questioned whether a staff sling might be a possible interpretation, too.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #31 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 5:28am

Quote:
"Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me."

i hope it isn't the same rod as mentioned elsewhere, in the child-care section

Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell. (Proverb 23:14)

what works when applied to the aztecs mightn't be appropriate for one's own child, but it must be true, because the bible is the word of God - it says so itself!

73357-HAVT.jpg (11 KB | )
73357-HAVT.jpg

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #32 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 6:44am

hmm, well usually I'm the first person to start an argument. But this probably isn't the topic to rehash the old: [i]'the bible is  a book of made up stories' [/i]- [i]'oh no it's not it's an historical text' [/i]argument AGAIN :-)

Any way you look at it nobody ever mentions the israelites using staff slings. And certainly not against goliath.
Yes a shepherd would have had a staff or crook - most shepherds do. It's a good way of getting sheep out of awkward places. And yes it's also probably a good bet that david would have been able to use it as a weapon. But it's a shepherds staff Not a staff sling.

We all have different beliefs - it doesn't have to be an issue very single time :-) 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie
Past Moderator

Joined Nov. 1, 2006  Luke
14:14

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #33 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 12:59am

[quote author=curious_aardvark link=1179326399/30#32 date=1187433854]hmm, well usually I'm the first person to start an argument. But this probably isn't the topic to rehash the old: [i]'the bible is  a book of made up stories' [/i]- [i]'oh no it's not it's an historical text' [/i]argument AGAIN :-)

Any way you look at it nobody ever mentions the israelites using staff slings. And certainly not against goliath.
Yes a shepherd would have had a staff or crook - most shepherds do. It's a good way of getting sheep out of awkward places. And yes it's also probably a good bet that david would have been able to use it as a weapon. But it's a shepherds staff Not a staff sling.

[b]We all have different beliefs - it doesn't have to be an issue very single time [/b]:-)  

[/quote]
Amen to that one!!!!

SV,

Have you ever considered that your constant bitter little anti-Bible, anti-Christian jibes are as BORING as they are unconvincing? As I said to English, life is too short to waste it studying a book you don't agree with. Just get over it.

If TS is a bell end you're the complete trumpet.

Cranks are little things that make revolutions.&&

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #34 - Aug 20th, 2007 at 7:03am

lmao - I know I shouldn't laugh at people insulting each other - but it's either that or join in lol

Come on folks - lets at least try to get by without slanging matches :-)

I suspect that I'm probably unusual in not having any really solid beliefs and in believing (lol) that everyone has a right to their own beliefs and whether or not you agree with them you should respect other peoples rights to have those beliefs.
What ever else we all think - there is one belief we've all got in common. Slings are excellent.
Let's try and approach things from that angle, hmm ?

Here endeth the lesson (hopefully :-)

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #35 - Sep 4th, 2007 at 6:46pm

Quote:
Have you ever considered that your constant bitter little anti-Bible, anti-Christian jibes are as BORING as they are unconvincing?

no, obviously

Quote:
life is too short to waste it studying a book you don't agree with

the most influential book in the world deserves study - how do we make our minds up otherwise?

Quote:
If TS is a bell end you're the complete trumpet.

if it annoys you that i think he's a bell-end, i'll change the assertion in the interests of harmony. after all, it's probably not his fault

Quote:
there is one belief we've all got in common. Slings are excellent.

amen

SV

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #36 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 2:40am

sv wrote on Sep 4th, 2007 at 6:46pm:
if it annoys you that i think he's a bell-end, i'll change the assertion in the interests of harmony. after all, it's probably not his fault

Is putting weird insults in signatures the new style here? You know I still wonder what I could put in my signature...

But on a more serious note, please stop that. We have intense discussions here in some places, sometimes even impolite, but please let's keep those discussions in their places instead of spreading insults all over the forum.

By the way, I have to lookup your insults in a dictionary as I never heard them before. And in the case of "wab" it looks like your insult has a different meaning depending on whether you are from Northern Ireland or from the United States.

IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #37 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 3:53am

ok

SV

IP Logged

Dravonk
Funditor

Aachen, Germany
Reply #38 - Sep 5th, 2007 at 7:04am

Thank you! Smiley

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #39 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 8:50pm

sv wrote on Aug 18th, 2007 at 5:28am:
Quote:
"Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me."

i hope it isn't the same rod as mentioned elsewhere, in the child-care section

Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell. (Proverb 23:14)

what works when applied to the aztecs mightn't be appropriate for one's own child, but it must be true, because the bible is the word of God - it says so itself!

October 3, 2007

Hmm.  This is one of the most interesting threads I’ve run across.   Ho-kay.

Irritating posts slung aside (pun intended), I think the answer may be that we’re dealing with a bit of psy-war in the David v Goliath episode.  Just for fun, let’s pretend it happened.  And I am a practicing Christian.  One day maybe I’ll get it right.

After reading all the posts an idea occurs to me: perhaps David did carry his shepherd’s staff with him and his sling coiled away neatly in his throwing hand.   Our ancestors were not idiots.  They knew about deception.

At the crucial moment, while Goliath was still laughing at the un-armored Hebrew boy, David drops his staff, loads his sling, and WHAMBO! knocks Goliath into the ever after.

OK, Slingers. You tell me: how fast can you get a sling into action assuming it’s coiled in your throwing hand’s fist, both cords in place and ready?  Fifteen seconds?  Fifteen seconds is eternity in combat.  Say even 30 seconds.  By this time Goliath may have stopped laughing and realized that something odd was going on here.

By the way: at this time the Hebrews were still bronze age people.  The Philistines were iron age people.  That’s why King David confiscated all the Philistine iron-smiths and put them to work for the Hebrews.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.  Smiley

Trebuchet

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

Trebuchet
Descens

Ave, Caesar! Baliares
te salutimus!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #40 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 9:01pm

Another nibblet:

On another thread I mentioned that there is an undocumented account of slingers from Rhodes using the sling staff with deadly accuracy.  That came from the book “The Ten Thousand,” which was a fictionalized account of Xenophon’s “Anabasis,” or “The March Up Country.”

I’ve got all the makings of a sling staff here, including a hiking stick from which I’ve removed the leather wrist strap.  The hole in the shaft should be a perfect anchor point for one sling thong.

One day, hopefully, I’ll put all the bits together and see what I can accomplish.  My early experiments lead me to believe that, at least in my hands, a sling staff is more of a bombardment weapon than an accuracy weapon.  I may be wrong.

I usually am.

Trebuchet

Go tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their law we lie.&&&&

IP Logged

winkleried
Interfector Viris Spurii

Norman Oklahoma
Reply #41 - Oct 3rd, 2007 at 10:26pm

No your observations pretty much match mine.
Great for indirect plunging fire, but not much else.

Marc Adkins

Trebuchet wrote on Oct 3rd, 2007 at 9:01pm:
Another nibblet:

My early experiments lead me to believe that, at least in my hands, a sling staff is more of a bombardment weapon than an accuracy weapon.  I may be wrong.

I usually am.

Trebuchet

The Few...The Proud.....The Slingers&&Sling to live, Live to sling&&I Ain't right
WWW winkleried  
IP Logged

sv
Funditor

ireland
Reply #42 - Oct 7th, 2007 at 7:08am

Quote:
OK, Slingers. You tell me: how fast can you get a sling into action assuming it’s coiled in your throwing hand’s fist, both cords in place and ready?  Fifteen seconds?

thanks for the challenge Treb. after 5 or 6i  practice shots, 3 and a half seconds. and it's a fair bet that david was faster than we'll ever be

SV

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)