Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 508 509 510 511 512 ... 516
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2192729 times)
JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #7635 - Nov 16th, 2023 at 6:24am

@Andy
Very nice Andy, that looks like some high quality synthetic fibre too, the fibres look similar to polysteel. Most of the polyprop baler twine I see is not as nice.

@Eino
I like those slings too. How is the retention toggle? It's not something I've used before. I have one or two tematlatl slings and they work well. I will have a go at another one soon perhaps. I find the pouch quite difficult to do neatly and have resorted to superglue in the past.

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #7636 - Nov 16th, 2023 at 9:37am

That sling looks awesome, AndyC!

JudoP wrote on Nov 16th, 2023 at 6:24am:
I like those slings too. How is the retention toggle? It's not something I've used before. I have one or two tematlatl slings and they work well. I will have a go at another one soon perhaps. I find the pouch quite difficult to do neatly and have resorted to superglue in the past.

Thanks! The retention toggle works well, and I would definitely recommend trying one.

To try a retention toggle, you don't need to make a new sling specifically for it, just carve a stick to be comfortably held in 3-4 fingers with a notch in the middle. This can be slipped into the fingerloop of any existing sling.

I like using tematlatls, but I also find it hard to make the pouches, which explains the half-finished sling that has been sitting around for 3 months or so. Cheesy

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

AndyC
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

SoCal
Reply #7637 - Nov 16th, 2023 at 1:52pm

JudoP wrote on Nov 16th, 2023 at 6:24am:
@Andy
Very nice Andy, that looks like some high quality synthetic fibre too, the fibres look similar to polysteel. Most of the polyprop baler twine I see is not as nice.

Thanks JudoP. This is my first experience with baler twine so I'm not sure how it compares to other brands or types of baler twine but I certainly think its a lot better than the regular polypropylene twine I was finding at hardware/department stores.

balertwine5.jpg (45 KB | 18 )
balertwine5.jpg
balertwine6.jpg (48 KB | 19 )
balertwine6.jpg

IP Logged

Chickenlip
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

chichester, UK
Reply #7638 - Nov 17th, 2023 at 7:39pm

Hi all, I'm new here, but I seem to have caught the bug.

I do leather work and a friend asked me to make him a sling, but it seems I enjoy making them  Grin.

These are fairly short and aimed for dog walking,using a boat-style sling.
(I found the pattern on this forum, Thankyou Môn Slinger)

I want to try a Balearic one soon, I just need to find the cordage needed.

hmm.jpg (935 KB | 20 )
hmm.jpg

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #7639 - Nov 18th, 2023 at 12:05am

Welcome, and nice slings! Smiley

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #7640 - Nov 19th, 2023 at 11:50am

Two slings I recently made:

1. This is a dyneema (speargun line) woven pouch with 3.5mm kevlar cord (9 core strands). I used the core strands within the kevlar as warp to weave the dyneema over, the kevlar jacket is locked to the strands each end of the pouch with a combination of whipping and sewing a thread through. The core strands are also tapered down the release cord. It is 10g, 27".

2. A 23" Balearic sling using synthetic manila (polysteel). I tried a 7 strand braid for this one. Despite being quite thick it weighs only around 30-35g. It has a brother on the way!

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #7641 - Nov 19th, 2023 at 2:11pm

Very nice slings, JudoP!

IP Logged

blargslap
Descens

Amicia Approves!

New Zealand
Reply #7642 - Nov 20th, 2023 at 4:06am

Gosh some lovely slings been put up here! I need to try some poly prop, looks so nice haha

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #7643 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 9:17pm

~24" paracord peruvian sling. The fingerloop is woven with cotton for comfort. I also tried tapering the release cord by gutting the paracord, which worked pretty well. Smiley

20231122_181402.jpg (262 KB | 20 )
20231122_181402.jpg

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7644 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 9:37pm

That looks so clean. I really like the simplicity and black and white, it looks so good.

John R.

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #7645 - Nov 22nd, 2023 at 10:05pm

Thank you!

I was contemplating whether to do white, blue, yellow, or red for the lighter color. Based on how it turned out, I'm glad I choose white.

IP Logged

blargslap
Descens

Amicia Approves!

New Zealand
Reply #7646 - Dec 4th, 2023 at 1:39am

Eino-

Your slings are looking really sharp, Good work my friend. Lovely stuff Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #7647 - Dec 5th, 2023 at 2:22pm

Beautiful work everyone.

IP Logged

HoboPatch
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Idaho
Reply #7648 - Dec 13th, 2023 at 12:30am

Made this sling by braiding together soft Flax fibers I was able to get on the cheap! It works well! That said the video here is not actually that sling its just a video of me slinging more turkey style. Been a few months of dense work so this is a bit rusty. Braiding from soft fibers is so much more enjoyable an experience when compared to braiding from already existing cords. I should do it more often.

The pouch is asymmetrical but it holds stones just fine, launches em fine too! Afraid to use it though as I am proud of it, don't wanna wear it out too quick so I can wear it with some bronzy age getup

But regardless yeah, proud of the flax sling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXU4D8BPfDo

yekek_001.png (2441 KB | 15 )
yekek_001.png

I am just here to throw rocks sometimes!

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #7649 - Dec 13th, 2023 at 12:39pm

Very nice sling, HoboPatch!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 508 509 510 511 512 ... 516
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick)