Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 491 492 493 494 495 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208814 times)
Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #7380 - Nov 23rd, 2022 at 9:09am

Oooooo that’s sexy!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7381 - Nov 23rd, 2022 at 4:52pm

I feel upstaged. ...

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7382 - Nov 24th, 2022 at 5:58pm

@hubert - That looks absolutely amazing!

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #7383 - Nov 25th, 2022 at 5:50am

Hemp and Dyneema

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7384 - Nov 25th, 2022 at 3:23pm

Now you're just showing off.  Wink

That is gorgeous!  Does it feel any different when you use it as compared to a sling that is 100% hemp?

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #7385 - Nov 26th, 2022 at 4:41am

[quote author=5E5B516B5951555059555F5146340 link=1172017416/7384#7384 date=1669407822]Now you're just showing off. 

why, surely

Dyneema is very smooth & feels almost like Teflon. It's a bit irritating when using it. Hemp alone wears out very quickly, I expect better durability but we'll see.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7386 - Nov 28th, 2022 at 1:11pm

Oooh! I like it! I like how you transitioned to the dyneema.

How much distance did you braid in between adding each dyneema strand?

John R.

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #7387 - Dec 1st, 2022 at 12:58pm

@ IronGoober

This is a round braid with 8 strands. I used the threads in pairs, so always alternated the opposite threads in Dyneema. 1s, 2s --> 10cm --> 3s, 4s --> 7cm --> 5s, 6s --> 10cm --> 7s, 8s

IP Logged

Neil_Anir
Novicius

Wes thu hal

Dorset
Reply #7388 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 7:50am

Hubert's latest sling makes me a little embarrassed to show my much poorer work, but to encourage others here it is.
Ancient Egyptian Style Sling Mk1
After seeing the ‘King Tut slings’ projects by contributors to this forum, I was inspired to have a go. So thanks to David Morningstar, T. J. Potter, TEG, Hubert, Lakeslinger & others for your guidance.
My first ancient Egyptian style sling, based on the Kahun (El Lahun) sling in the Petrie Museum. I used a Hubert style diamond or lozenge shape nail loom to weave the pouch in one piece, with a ‘shuttle needle’ made of folded 0.5mm wire.
The pouch is 150 x 50mm (6 x 2in) woven with green jute warp & weft. The slightly thicker natural hemp outer wefts (3 each side) started about 2m (6ft) long then these, along with the excess warp & weft threads, are braided into the release & retention cords. The length mid pouch to loop tip is 760mm (30in).

IP Logged

Neil_Anir
Novicius

Wes thu hal

Dorset
Reply #7389 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 7:51am

Ancient Egyptian Style Sling Mk2
My second woven sling was made on the same nail loom but from white Dacron, braided polyester kite string (about 1mm diameter, 25kg breaking strain) the green decoration was woven in & was from my scraps store. The pouch is 100 x 50mm (4 x 2in), the length mid pouch to release knot & loop is 680mm (26.75in).

IP Logged

Neil_Anir
Novicius

Wes thu hal

Dorset
Reply #7390 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 7:53am

Ancient Egyptian Style Sling Mk3
For the third one I wanted a green jute ‘eye line’ in the pouch. I went with a Lakeslinger style plastic ‘card’ loom for this & the ‘butterfly’ pattern of weaving from T. J. Potter, TEG & others. The pouch is 150 x 75mm (6 x 3in), which is wider than I intended. The length mid pouch to loop tip is 750mm (29.5in).
It is interesting that the Egyptian sling in Manchester Museum (Acc. No. 103) & the Tutankhamen slings (Burton Photo. P1324) seem to be made in the ‘butterfly’ pattern, but the one in the Petrie Museum (UC6921) seems to have been woven as a diamond or lozenge shape, with decorative threads sown in after weaving.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7391 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 12:23pm

I would say you have absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about.

Those look fantastic! Thumbs Up

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7392 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 1:18pm

Agreed, nothing to be embarrassed about! they look great! although, I do understand the sentiment Smiley I think hubert's are always so beautiful because he spends a lot of time making the cords very uniform. Even my best braids aren't as uniform as his normal ones.

I like the color of your first and third slings best, but the dacron one looks like a real high performance sling.

John R.

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Reply #7393 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 2:43pm

Neil, once you try twining over sticks, let us know which method you like best.

Also, what you call "butterfly pattern of weaving" is known as a twining weave (in case you were looking for more info on it).

One last thing, these slings will wear at the start of the release cord fast if you use rugged rocks. This does not make it a bad design. I see you put some whipping there but the jute will probably still wear quickly. The Dacron will last a lot longer (if it is waxed, then it will last forever).

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #7394 - Dec 7th, 2022 at 5:23pm

MMF wrote on Dec 7th, 2022 at 2:43pm:
Also, what you call "butterfly pattern of weaving" is known as a twining weave (in case you were looking for more info on it).

I believe he means the shape woven on the loom. The Manchester Lahun sling and Tutankhamun slings are a butterfly shape on the loom, and the gap between the "wings" closes as the warp pulls everything together. It makes the pouch cupped.
The Petrie Lahun sling is different in that it's woven in a diamond, making the pouch flat.
After trying both designs, I do not at all understand why a sling would be woven to be cupped. A flat woven sling will accept a radius nicely, but does not hinder the release anything like as much as the former. It does not make sense to me.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 491 492 493 494 495 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man)