Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 488 489 490 491 492 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208998 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #7335 - Jul 5th, 2022 at 10:11pm

@AncientCraftwork - Nice!  Looks like you're really getting that design figured out.

@AA - I haven't seen that before.  Very cool design!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7336 - Jul 6th, 2022 at 4:13am

Ah I remember you showing that sling model @Archaic Arms.
An interesting take on it. I do think losing that ability to sling a wide range of stones due to the restrictive nature of such a pouch would put me off though, but a good experiment nonetheless

Yesterday I managed to throw a fantastic disc spin with a flat round stone into the distance,  I nailed the perfect sidearm pouch orientation, using my T-pouch slings. I got some good water skippers too,, when done right they really fly well. Plus about 30 throws with very respectable point forward releases on oval stones I collected that day. I was using a model with separate release cords all the way up to the hand and then a simple co-joining them at the release end with a knot.
This seems to provides better pouch orientation control compared to co-joining the cords somewhere a third up but it may depend on other factors as well.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7337 - Jul 6th, 2022 at 7:11pm

A little backyard photography

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7338 - Jul 10th, 2022 at 3:55pm

A very simple sling with some twined sisal cords and a felted wool T pouch. It outperformed my expectations!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7339 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 3:49am

Revival of the Y

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7340 - Jul 14th, 2022 at 10:32am

Mersa wrote on Jul 12th, 2022 at 3:49am:
Revival of the Y

The Y pouch is outdated. T pouch is better !

While identifying plants today, I happened to stumble upon a triple dozen or so of relatively smooth rocks that someone randomly deposited on the side of the road, of various shapes and sizes. I went and redeposited them somewhere else with my T pouch sling, some of them into a lake and others into a forest. It truly is a different slinging experience. It works absolutely great when I am well aware I am using a T-sling, but terrible when I forget it and use it like a conventional sling. Luckily a few adjustment shots is usually all that is required. After that my enthusiasm for the sling increases with every session. In comparison my enthusiasm for the old type continues to dwindle. I feel I am gonna have to unlearn it all and truly leave the old type behind if I want to master the full potential of the T pouch. Being well skilled with the conventional sling can actually feel more detrimental to learning the T-pouch sling than having no slinging experience at all .

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7341 - Jul 14th, 2022 at 2:31pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 14th, 2022 at 10:32am:
Being well skilled with the conventional sling can actually feel more detrimental to learning the T-pouch sling than having no slinging experience at all .

Then start with the T-pouch left handed! Smiley

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7342 - Jul 14th, 2022 at 10:15pm

IronGoober wrote on Jul 14th, 2022 at 2:31pm:
AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 14th, 2022 at 10:32am:
Being well skilled with the conventional sling can actually feel more detrimental to learning the T-pouch sling than having no slinging experience at all .

Then start with the T-pouch left handed! Smiley

There might actually be some brilliance to that.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7343 - Jul 15th, 2022 at 3:26am

After some practice yesterday I learned lefthanded figure 8..
I like to practice with a single cord bola or a string tied to a tennisball. I did knack my head with the ball quite a few times trying the lefthanded fig 8.

IP Logged

MrMoleCrab
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7344 - Jul 16th, 2022 at 1:00pm

This is an elk leather and sisal sling I put together this week. I used Curious Aardvarks pouch pattern and leather I had made from an elk I harvested a few years back. The retention and release cords are 3 cord 6 strand tapered to 3 strand at the tips. Total length from cord tip to cord tip is around 39” or so, holding the pouch the ends reach midway between elbow and armpit.

It’s feather light but so far throws nicely. Feels more accurate than other slings I’ve thrown but time will tell!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7345 - Jul 16th, 2022 at 9:42pm

Looks good MrMoleCrab.

And welcome!  You should go into the Introductions board and start a new topic for yourself.  Let us know how you got here, how long you've been slinging, etc.  Cheers man!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7346 - Jul 17th, 2022 at 3:12am

MrMoleCrab wrote on Jul 16th, 2022 at 1:00pm:
This is an elk leather and sisal sling I put together this week. I used Curious Aardvarks pouch pattern and leather I had made from an elk I harvested a few years back. The retention and release cords are 3 cord 6 strand tapered to 3 strand at the tips. Total length from cord tip to cord tip is around 39” or so, holding the pouch the ends reach midway between elbow and armpit.

It’s feather light but so far throws nicely. Feels more accurate than other slings I’ve thrown but time will tell!

Sisal indeed is very light for a natural fibre, one of the reasons I like it very much, I use it pretty much for all my cordage requirements for tarp ridgelines and guylines to hammock suspension straps.

A light release cord and thin flexible leather pouch will have less inertia against opening the sling which can mean a more clean release. For me a sisal release cord , with equal dimensions to paracord, feels lighter than paracord. But moisture will affect sisal quite strongly, and so will drying out in the sun, the cordage can take set and warp, something to beware of

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #7347 - Jul 17th, 2022 at 3:27am

Summer slinging. 50 cent (Euro) for size.

IMG_0196.jpg (294 KB | 24 )
IMG_0196.jpg

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #7348 - Jul 17th, 2022 at 8:36am

Nice sling -- and I can relate to your rough stone ammo.   I'm one of the few who continues to use the rough stones along the railroad tracks for ammo.   They're not good ammo, consistent or very accurate but they're free, the ground is covered with them and I don't have to retrieve them.   

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

Thearos
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take that

Reply #7349 - Jul 17th, 2022 at 12:30pm

ha ha exactly !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 488 489 490 491 492 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)