Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 487 488 489 490 491 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2229698 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #7320 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 6:31am

My best Balearic sling yet,
and another attempt at a natural fibre Y-sling, with a captive string in between. I like this Y sling more than my previous one above.
Considering these slings are more or less the same length I will be comparing them when I get the chance.

The reasoning for a Y-sling in my head,
+ a little less dependent on perfect smooth rocks for consistency, it's more of a smoothbore sling
+ more useful in tighter spaces due to the captive release.
+ durability is higher, sling will last longer, less friction wear and tear on the sling
+ overall easier to use, learn for beginners, like throwing a rock with a string
+ no incidental fouls possible like sometimes happen with normal sling due to wrong user technique. Sling will always release

Good or bad,
-/+ totally silent and silent projectiles, very useful for hunting, less useful for self defense / intimidation. Silence can be somewhat removed by removing captive release, but I don't recommend. Removing the captive release results in more wear and tear, and space required to sling.
-/+ range can be greater or worse. A smooth oval stone slung with a regular sling released point forward seems like it flies quite a bit further and faster,.  But angular / irregular stones seem to fly further with Y-sling due to less spin robbing energy.
-/+ more weight/pull on the release cord, creates instant intuitive release, but requires more gripping force

IMG20220626122030.jpg (467 KB | 32 )
IMG20220626122030.jpg
IMG20220626122214.jpg (535 KB | 27 )
IMG20220626122214.jpg

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #7321 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 7:28am

Really nice looking balearic there Smiley

And interesting Y-sling too.

Is it sisal you are using?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7322 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 7:32am

Yes it is sisal.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7323 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 9:31am

Those both look fantastic!  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7324 - Jun 26th, 2022 at 1:21pm

I went fishing today and there happened to be some rough angular stones on the side of the water. Not many about 30 slingable ones. Quite heavy rocks I guess, between 200 and 300 grams. I had the slings in my bike panniers so I tested them on these rocks. This Y-sling peformed wonderfully to my expectations.  I think I will start selling some Y-slings on etsy once I have the design refined. It will definitely be a full natural fibre sling like the above one.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7325 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 5:32am

I made a new one incorporating improvements .
The pouch of the model above was too small for my preferred size of rock with the Y-sling, and the two legs were too thin, they took too much abrasive damage.
This model with the woven T-pouch solves that problem. It will happily accomodate fist sized rocks.
I started the construction of the sling from the middle of the pouch. When constructing a Y-sling it may be better to start at the pouch or at the release cord instead of beginning at the finger loop.

I've made a similar Y sling in the past from synthetic cord, but I didn't like the massive release knot I had on it. Braiding with natural fibre allows me more freedom in construction, and gives me this very grippy nice release end without a knot.

IMG20220627111719.jpg (524 KB | 31 )
IMG20220627111719.jpg
IMG20220627111651.jpg (373 KB | 20 )
IMG20220627111651.jpg

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Reply #7326 - Jun 27th, 2022 at 1:12pm

Very nice AC. Definitely the best y-sling I've seen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7327 - Jun 28th, 2022 at 12:42pm

It is very good, but I have already improved somethings in my next model.  Grin In fact, this next model is already outdated as well, as I got a new improvement in mind for my 4th model.

All my Y-slings sling and release exactly like a single cord bola. The position of the finger loop is not really important anymore. Not the same importance as it is with the old style sling. I keep it outside of the hand so I only grip the release end. This feels like it releases cleaner from the hand.

There's no tension on the fingerloop during rotation.  All the fingerloop is for is there retain the sling after a cast. It only becomes tensioned after a cast as the pouch hinges and dumps the shot. Other than that it carries no weight.  %100 of the weight is on the release. Like a single cord bola. This makes it feel like
slinging a rock tied to a string. Once you adjust the release timing the power & consistency is great. But if you are very used to the old style sling it'll feel very odd first. But to people who've never slung before it feels very intuitive, like slinging a rock tied to a string. I can quickly adjust between both the old style and Y-sling now.

I don't feel restrained by having the pull all on the release no matter the rock weight. The only thing that restrains me is my own strength and limb speed.  The sisal gives me plenty of grip so I no longer have grip issues.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7328 - Jun 28th, 2022 at 12:44pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 28th, 2022 at 12:42pm:
In fact, this next model is already outdated as well, as I got a new improvement in mind for my 4th model.

I'm looking forward to seeing these!

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7329 - Jul 1st, 2022 at 10:40am

I'm all out of the appropriate twine so I had to salvage some other slings to build this prototype. It's not my best job because it's made of bits and pieces of twine.

That said, the improvements - a bit narrower pouch legs, 3 strands in the weave nstead of 4 , because 4 was overkill.
And integrating the retention cord into the release cord, then adding on a separate fingerloop cord instead of a separate captive release cord. It just makes sense to make it this way.

You don't want tension on the fingerloop cord during rotation but you also don't want it hanging too slack. The position has to be right that it quickly receives tension as you let go of the release cord.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to do some more slinging and am very pleased with this type of rudimentary rock slinger. It's nice to not have the fuss about fingerloop position affecting shot placement or wrist techniques on release.
It allows me to simply focus on holding on the release cord and letting go, like slinging a single cord bola.
Plus there's no rocking back and forth of the projectile in the pouch, so it is seated very securely.

The flat braided release cord helps a lot with controlling the pouch orientation and getting a consistent grip.
In practice this sling works like a single cord sling. I think very easy to learn for a beginner , even more simplistic then operating a bow and arrow.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2022 at 11:43am by AncientCraftwork »  

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #7330 - Jul 1st, 2022 at 11:07am

Very clever integrating the retention into the release like that. The worst part about many Y slings is that the retention cord has a tendency to get twisted after the release (especially if it's a thin for efficiency's sake), but by merging it with the release, you could make it very thin and efficient without all the tangling.
Brilliant.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7331 - Jul 1st, 2022 at 11:13am

The flat release cord helps alot with quick reloading too. This sling doesn't tangle after a cast. I will use this braid again in my next build

Also nice that the thin and narrow side of the flat cord faces towards that the target on release so I imagine that aids in the aerodynamic department

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7332 - Jul 3rd, 2022 at 5:53am

A long, light and slim model. Flat braid trigger.

I experience that the more abrasive and bad the rocks are, the slimmer I need the pouch to be for a smooth release. I also want to restate again the importance of the tension or lack of on the fingerloop cord. Too much slack and there's an undesirable delay in release, too much tension and the ammo can drop prematurely (before ones own release). I think we need to aim for no slack but no tension either, so a neutral position. This is most easily achieved when the fingerloop is worn near the release trigger so the cords are side by side during rotation, so the fingerloop in my opinion should be worn on the index finger or run on the inside of the hand on your preferred finger

IMG20220703114442.jpg (604 KB | 25 )
IMG20220703114442.jpg

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #7333 - Jul 5th, 2022 at 3:57am

Just an example to show the required positioning of elongated stones for a point-forward release using a Y (or more accurately a T) sling.

IMG20220705091635.jpg (187 KB | 24 )
IMG20220705091635.jpg

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #7334 - Jul 5th, 2022 at 4:33pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jul 5th, 2022 at 3:57am:
Just an example to show the required positioning of elongated stones for a point-forward release using a Y (or more accurately a T) sling.

Or here with a boat style pouch...

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 487 488 489 490 491 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)