Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 457 458 459 460 461 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2230700 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #6870 - Jun 23rd, 2021 at 7:25am

Here is one of my most simple netted sling designs of mine as of yet. It is made one long single line of paracord,
I believe splicing is one of the most underrated and underused sling fabrication methods. You can make very nice knotless netted pouches. The same sling can be recreated with a long line of well twisted natural cordage if desired.

This sling has 4 longitudinal pouch strands instead of 3. I find that with 3 strands, there is a strand in the middle, like with the cortalloid, and this reduces  proper cradling. 4 strands means there is no strand in the middle of the net, and now
round projectiles are cradled perfectly

Netted pouches are ideal for light efficient slings, when thin split pouches start becoming unreliable and unsecure.
The net has the benefit of being of similar pliability as the cords. I find that slings with a very stiff pouch in relation to the cords to
introduce too much spin and energy loss because they have more resistance to opening. But the netted pouch releases very well due to how light it is. About a dozen of my previous slings are made with all kinds of experimental netted pouches and I think I will be sticking with netted pouches
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2021 at 9:22am by AncientCraftwork »  

P6232434.JPG (163 KB | 13 )
P6232434.JPG
P6232435.JPG (180 KB | 14 )
P6232435.JPG

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6871 - Jun 23rd, 2021 at 8:59am

Thats a brilliant design if it holds up. Nice one J. Thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6872 - Jun 23rd, 2021 at 9:09am

Yeah. You'd think it wouldn't work well with angular or crappy rocks due to it catching on in the net  but you'd be surprised. That's more or less the only type of rock around here but it slings like a charm. In my recent experiences a light pouch in relation to the weight of rock is more important for a clean release than having a perfectly clean and smooth pouch. I used a similar sling yesterday for slinging broken asphalt and it released very well as long as the pieces are heavy enough, and they don't need to weight much when the pouch is light.
almost all my recent slings have a netted pouch of some sort

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #6873 - Jun 23rd, 2021 at 11:38am

How do you keep the cords in place?  are you passing the lateral cords through the longitudinals?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6874 - Jun 23rd, 2021 at 1:12pm

yes its spliced

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #6875 - Jun 23rd, 2021 at 2:53pm

how did you puncture the braided cord, with a hot nail?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6876 - Jun 23rd, 2021 at 4:57pm

No, just a knitting needle is enough to push open the braid. You can easily carve such a needle from a stick. Then once you have made the hole, push the cord through. This is easy when you have burned about 1 cm at the end of the cord you are pushing through, so it becomes slick and easy to push through. I do this by heating up the end of the cord and then using my fingers to make it slick, the plastic then gets hot and easy to mold with your fingers (but watch out to not get burned). You could also tape the end you are pushing through. Anything to make it easier to push through the hole you made. Dont try and push a frayed end through that's just hard and annoying. Twisting the cord while you push it through helps as well. But make sure there are no twists once its in the net, other wise the nets get crooked. Remember you are not removing any cordage when splicing the paracord, you are just opening the braid by pushing aside strands. The braid shouldn't tear when you open a hole in it with a smooth and blunt needle.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6877 - Jun 23rd, 2021 at 5:30pm

I like the elegance of those splices, much nicer than knots.
I've done a little of that stuff making whip falls, but that's with gutted paracord which is easier.

@Sir Missalot, you can also get paracord needles which screw over a melted paracord end. Vital for complex stuff like turks head knots on the end of whips.

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #6878 - Jun 23rd, 2021 at 6:33pm

This is a glande  I made it is three times as long as it is wide so it is about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide.  it was surprising durable using the green jute balearicish sling shown a page or two back that is 28 inches long folded it survived three direct hits to my fence throwing as hard as possible before it showed any damage and it didn’t damage my fence at all  and it took over ten hits before it was to messed up to  use any more and that was with throwing it so it will strike point first .

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #6879 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 8:46am

What's it made out of?

IP Logged

jw

Slinging Rocks!

Virginia usa
Reply #6880 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 9:59am

Wax paraffin wax I put in The freezer for a while so it will be hard

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6881 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 10:50am

Short chumash sling with twisted sisal cords, the goal being minimal construction effort. Its length equal as the Balaeric sling which I got from Luis Pons livermore. I made this sling to test it against me using his.

When I compare it in terms of speed, distance, accuracy, this one wins  whistle noidea and slings Balaeric sized rocks without issue

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #6882 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 11:57am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jun 23rd, 2021 at 7:25am:
Here is one of my most simple netted sling designs of mine as of yet. It is made one long single line of paracord,
I believe splicing is one of the most underrated and underused sling fabrication methods. You can make very nice knotless netted pouches. The same sling can be recreated with a long line of well twisted natural cordage if desired.

This sling has 4 longitudinal pouch strands instead of 3. I find that with 3 strands, there is a strand in the middle, like with the cortalloid, and this reduces  proper cradling. 4 strands means there is no strand in the middle of the net, and now
round projectiles are cradled perfectly

Netted pouches are ideal for light efficient slings, when thin split pouches start becoming unreliable and unsecure.
The net has the benefit of being of similar pliability as the cords. I find that slings with a very stiff pouch in relation to the cords to
introduce too much spin and energy loss because they have more resistance to opening. But the netted pouch releases very well due to how light it is. About a dozen of my previous slings are made with all kinds of experimental netted pouches and I think I will be sticking with netted pouches

Will you make a tutorial ?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6883 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 1:37pm

it's still a prototype so it's not worth a full tutorial I think, but the second photograph should be enough if you want to copy it, the arrow is where it starts, and just follow the cord. It's made from 1 long cord.

start.png (918 KB | 25 )
start.png

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6884 - Jun 24th, 2021 at 5:26pm

Inspired by this sling https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/E_Am-4073, I quickly threw together this massive 90 cm Balaeric sling from scrap hemp to soon test its range against a 1.8 mm twisted hemp sling with netted pouch of similar length.
It makes a very loud whip snap and its very heavy

I am really starting to like long cords more and more up to 90 cm, just feels easier to get the distance. But I also would definitely not mind it for target throwing if I have the space. The major downside being it requires more space. A short sling will always be better in a forested environment. Luckily a slinger can carry a sling for every environment

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 457 458 459 460 461 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark)