Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 451 452 453 454 455 ... 517
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208244 times)
Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #6780 - May 23rd, 2021 at 6:36pm

120 Centimeters sling for abrasion projectiles, plastic (polyester)  cords, ropes Smiley

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6781 - May 23rd, 2021 at 7:43pm

Nice! How long is it?

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #6782 - May 24th, 2021 at 6:24am

AncientCraftwork wrote on May 23rd, 2021 at 4:14pm:
Experimental ultra light sling

How well does it work ?

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #6783 - May 24th, 2021 at 6:31am

This is the stiffest sling i have ever made. I made it as a gift for my father (he prefers stiff slings) and it was my first sling, without any mistake. The release cord is tapered and it has a release tab and a whip cracker at the end.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #6784 - May 25th, 2021 at 6:03am

SerKraus wrote on May 23rd, 2021 at 7:43pm:
Nice! How long is it?

He said 120 centimeters

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #6785 - May 25th, 2021 at 10:20pm

Quickly made this to test the Cortaillod principle, which Jaegoor speaks highly of. I am stunned by it's functionality, it really is a fantastic sling design.
Big thanks to Teg for the twining over sticks tutorial! It's become my new favourite weaving method.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2021 at 1:06am by Archaic Arms »  

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6786 - May 26th, 2021 at 12:04am

What is it that you like about it? I'm a bit surprised, unless you have the type of ammo that Jaegoor has (with the groove), it seems limited in its use.  The central ridge seems like it would make it prone to dropping ammo prematurely. So, I'm interested if your experience differs from that.

John R.

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #6787 - May 26th, 2021 at 1:37am

I don't think that's a sling. All other sling designs are stable at the edges to hold the projectiles. The Cortaillod principle just doesn't make sense for slings and inventing bullets for it is kind of weird.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6788 - May 26th, 2021 at 2:00am

A good start.  But it's not Cordaillot.  😂 The shape is wrong.  The original was woven with boards.  So Teg's tutorial is wrong for Cordaillot.  My first replica looks the same as the original, but is not woven with boards either.  It is similar in terms of the binding, but not original.  When weaving with boards, there is a very strong twisting of the threads.  This is absolutely typical for weaving boards and a unique selling point.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6789 - May 26th, 2021 at 2:23am

Hubert.  So you don't think it's a sling.  What is it then?  You can of course have your opinion.  But it doesn't change the fact that it's a sling.  You judge something and you neither made it nor shot it.  If you had done this, your knowledge and your opinion would certainly be different.  Then you would know that there is a kind of edge.  It was worked with edge boards.  But to know that, you have to do it. In addition, this fabric was worked with s and z twine.  That means the thread is twisted left and right.  And always alternately.  This creates a very stable fabric even without a border.  It is completely different from everything you know about slings.  And that's not just my humble opinion.  Experts with significantly more knowledge and experience have confirmed this.  So it's totally banana if you think it's a sling.  It's definitely a sling.  Even a very unusual and a very elaborately crafted sling.  And after 10,000 documented shots, this little piece of fabric is still functional.  Oops.  And stones up to around 100g can be shot very well with it.  And oh wonder, stones like this are also found in the find complex.  But of course you already knew that.  If not and if my explanations are not enough for you, then I recommend writing to Thomas Reitmaier.  He is practically the chief archaeologist in Switzerland.  You can then communicate your well-founded new findings to him.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

hubert

Oschersleben
Reply #6790 - May 26th, 2021 at 2:52am

Silvio, I have my doubts, but to be able to make a final judgment, I need more information. But purely constructively, it doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it is something to carry a load or part of a piece of clothing, but maybe it is something completely different.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6791 - May 26th, 2021 at 3:19am

Definitiv nicht

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6792 - May 26th, 2021 at 6:47am

well it's definitely a sling.

Just one that's been designed for a specifically shaped ammunition.

I can't see the benefit myself. But I make specific sling designs for specific ammunition types - so it's not unusual.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #6793 - May 26th, 2021 at 6:49am

hubert wrote on May 26th, 2021 at 2:52am:
Silvio, I have my doubts, but to be able to make a final judgment, I need more information. But purely constructively, it doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it is something to carry a load or part of a piece of clothing, but maybe it is something completely different.

Why would you think that ? It seems to work well as a sling. If it slings a rock or other ammo, it is a sling and your opinion will not change that.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #6794 - May 26th, 2021 at 6:52am

hubert wrote on May 26th, 2021 at 2:52am:
purely constructively, it doesn't make sense to me

Why not ? Not every sling is made the same way. Slings were used around the world and for a very long time, that means it is possible, that different cultures made different slings. Only because you didnt make a sling like that before, it doesnt mean, that it isnt a sling.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 451 452 453 454 455 ... 517
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy)