Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 449 450 451 452 453 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208601 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #6750 - May 12th, 2021 at 8:42am

Gorgeous man.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #6751 - May 12th, 2021 at 10:11am

Great Balearic! I love the look that sisal, less yellow than the usual stuff sold.
Do you find the dyneema whip gets tangled and knotted with use? The stuff I use separates into individual fibres, and I find that happens with mine.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #6752 - May 12th, 2021 at 10:27am

AncientCraftwork wrote on May 8th, 2021 at 1:23pm:
Is that release cord partially less tapered than your others ? If so how do you like it?  Is that the sling you used in the video you posted ? Nice work

Sorry I must of missed this.
I suppose it is slightly less tapered because for very heavy stones I like a substantial release cord to grip on to. I tend to be more gentle on the taper of the belly on these short slings as well. The sling still cracks loudly even with 33% more whip material than usual as well. I don't notice any substantial difference, other than it has very good twist resistance due being a thick 7 strand plait.
Yes it is the sling used in the video.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6753 - May 12th, 2021 at 6:45pm

Thanks all.

Here is a sling you may have seen before in the abstract slings thread (although I did not formally enter this one to the competition).

After a fair bit of usage I'm very impressed with the performance of this sling. I'm not yet definitely certain the dual mode really provides much benefit but it seems like it does.

I'm posting here because it's probably my favourite paracord/compact design now, and I want to document it in a centralised location.

(forgive the fancy presentation, I find it a slightly nicer way to attach multiple pictures together)

collated.PNG (810 KB | 14 )
collated.PNG

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6754 - May 12th, 2021 at 6:48pm

Archaic Arms wrote on May 12th, 2021 at 10:11am:
Great Balearic! I love the look that sisal, less yellow than the usual stuff sold.
Do you find the dyneema whip gets tangled and knotted with use? The stuff I use separates into individual fibres, and I find that happens with mine.

Cheers, yeah I found some basically white sisal but I blended it with some more yellowy stuff since I ran out. Need to get hold of some more soon. I've got some good looking sisal on order from Teg which should be nice.
I've had no issues so far with the dyneema but I haven't been using it for very long and I don't manage to get out and pressure test my slings as much as I should do.

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #6755 - May 13th, 2021 at 8:44am

Balearic style sling

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6756 - May 14th, 2021 at 9:39am

Mike what is the red thing? Is it leather, rubber or something else?

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #6757 - May 14th, 2021 at 11:16am

Morphy wrote on May 14th, 2021 at 9:39am:
Mike what is the red thing? Is it leather, rubber or something else?

Its leatherette (sorry if it is wrong, i dont know the correct word)

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #6758 - May 14th, 2021 at 11:50am

what would you call this sling ? (I wanted to make a egyptian sling, but one side is bigger than the other and it is not as cupped as the normal egyptian style slings)

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6759 - May 14th, 2021 at 12:04pm

Your standard Egyptian slings are woven up and down the pouch and typically done on a loom or some other apparatus. The sling pictured there is something like a PJ (Peaceful Jeffery) sling which is a horizontal weave with 5 wefts(?). Though on yours you vary the number more throughout. You see some pouches like yours amongst the Guam slingers.

Personally I just group all horizontal weave solid pouches together in one family as there are many possible slings that all have similar construction and only differ by weft number moving down the pouch. There are only names for a few variants of these which are mostly from people doing tutorials (ts3, PJ, cobra etc).

IP Logged

MikeG

Slinging Rocks!

Bayern-Germany
Reply #6760 - May 14th, 2021 at 12:11pm

JudoP wrote on May 14th, 2021 at 12:04pm:
Your standard Egyptian slings are woven up and down the pouch and typically done on a loom or some other apparatus. The sling pictured there is something like a PJ (Peaceful Jeffery) sling which is a horizontal weave with 5 wefts(?). Though on yours you vary the number more throughout. You see some pouches like yours amongst the Guam slingers.

Personally I just group all horizontal weave solid pouches together in one family as there are many possible slings that all have similar construction and only differ by weft number moving down the pouch. There are only names for a few variants of these which are mostly from people doing tutorials (ts3, PJ, cobra etc).

The good thing is, that the sling works and the name is not important.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6761 - May 14th, 2021 at 2:17pm

MikeG wrote on May 14th, 2021 at 12:11pm:
JudoP wrote on May 14th, 2021 at 12:04pm:

The good thing is, that the sling works and the name is not important.

Always the most important aspect Cheesy

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6762 - May 14th, 2021 at 8:03pm

That's the beauty of slinging. If it works, it's a sling!

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6763 - May 16th, 2021 at 12:57pm

Plastic sling with round and flat braids and a loop for the wrist

P5162354.JPG (232 KB | 14 )
P5162354.JPG

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #6764 - May 17th, 2021 at 1:33am

Video frame showing the release with a Balearic-style sling.

Screenshot__307_.png (1452 KB | 21 )
Screenshot__307_.png

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 449 450 451 452 453 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, vetryan15, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Kick)