Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 434 435 436 437 438 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208566 times)
Road Dog
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #6525 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 7:01pm

Hey everyone here's a split pouch paracord sling I made. I made a tutorial on how to make it if you want to try this design. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tXyXCEDDds

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6526 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 7:35pm

Nice work- and welcome to the forum!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6527 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 8:49pm

Road Dog wrote on Feb 25th, 2021 at 7:01pm:
Hey everyone here's a split pouch paracord sling I made. I made a tutorial on how to make it if you want to try this design. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tXyXCEDDds

Great first post! Welcome! Have you tried it out yet?

IP Logged

Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Reply #6528 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 10:38pm

Morphy wrote on Feb 25th, 2021 at 8:49pm:

Angry  If you'd watched the video, you'd know he did. Cry

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6529 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 2:28am

Oxnate wrote on Feb 25th, 2021 at 10:38pm:
Morphy wrote on Feb 25th, 2021 at 8:49pm:

Angry  If you'd watched the video, you'd know he did. Cry

Yea, true. Guess I missed that one. Thanks for the heads up Oxnate.

Yea, anyways,  I look forward to watching the video. Sorry, Road Dog, been a bit busy, didnt have time to watch it just yet.  Looks great though.  Wink

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6530 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 3:40am

Welcome! Great sling and tutorial. How long have you been slinging?

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6531 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 6:07am

Finally finished my pita fibre sling from fibres sent over by Luis. I went for a hot pink dog poop bag tail Cheesy It's not the cleanest and there's definitely things I learnt along the way for next time, but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6532 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 4:18pm

Kick wrote on Feb 26th, 2021 at 6:07am:
Finally finished my pita fibre sling from fibres sent over by Luis. I went for a hot pink dog poop bag tail Cheesy It's not the cleanest and there's definitely things I learnt along the way for next time, but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out.

Way better than I wouldve done. I still have not tried a twisted raw fiber sling. As far as I’m concerned PITA stands for Pain in the Ass lol. God bless you guys that can make those work lol.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6533 - Feb 26th, 2021 at 9:43pm

@Kick That looks good! The pouch in particular is really even. I can't seem to keep mine even, I'll do it for a few inches, but then when I need to splice in more fibers, it always makes the braid have a bump from the sudden increase in width. I'm not sure the trick to make it even. AlbionSlinger and JudoP both seem to have it figured out, but I haven't yet.  Each sling I make looks better than the last, but nothing like those two's slings.  I like the tassel on the end. I've tried doing it, but can't seem to make the final knot stay in place.

John R.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6534 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 5:06am

Update on the netted sisal sling. I have thrown more with it and I can say its use is not limited to only perfect ammo.
I think this is one of my new favorite designs, because its traditional, compact, natural, light and simple. I put it on a better scale. The sling only weighs 11 grams. Yet 200 gram rocks are a joy to use with it, the sling feels very efficient, and with some care I can even use a rotor style and 200 gram rocks without problems, even though the sling is light and thin. The increased efficency over a 50-100 gram heavy sling is very noticeable. This means I can sling the same rock as fast as a heavier sling of the same length, but with less effort, less effort means a more controllable and accurate swing to me.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6535 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 9:13am

A  playful variation on my standard asymmetric sling.  The main differences are:

1. Stitched boot leather from my old cowboy boots. I reinforced the stitching with leather glue, but I don’t know how the “Frankenstein” leather will hold up at the seams yet.

2. Double finger loops.

3. Tabbed release.
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2022 at 9:33pm by NooneOfConsequence »  

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6536 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 12:19pm

@NOOC How does it feel? any different during use?

@J I like the simplicity of your netting method. I started making a netted sling, but it looked terrible and was getting too complicated. Yours is great. Simple and effective.

John R.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6537 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 4:11pm

It was just made in a pinch. I have been trying to figure out how that Mexican made that netted sling in that Discovery episode where he slung a clay ball at a dolls head and I can't seem to figure it out. They say they made their example in only 30 minutes. He seemed to use twisted cords as well and maguay fibres, or something like that, which is similar to sisal, and a series of netting knots. But whenever I use netting knots and natural fibres, it gets too bulky. I tried all kinds of ways. The splicing method seems to work if I take care to splice it properly. The end result seems to be the same. A very light and simple sling from raw material. I got another coming from self harvested Yucca. It's a natural design that should rival paracord for its efficency I think. When you reverse twist the sisal cords as tight as you can its actually quite stiff for its meager width.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6538 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 4:59pm

@IG I gave only taken a few shots with it so far. The cord length is slightly different than I am used to because of the way the tab and finger loops are tied off, so the timing is slightly different for sure. The boot leather is stiffer and heavier than my normal upholstery-grade leather, and the seam down the middle may affect retention because of the raised leather where the pieces overlap.

All in all, it throws very similar to my other slings. I can’t tell you whether the double finger loops or tab make any difference at all yet.

As far as my visceral response to throwing with a Franken-leather boot sling... I really like it a lot. I think that’s mostly because it reminds me of Morphy’s boots Grin

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6539 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 10:23pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Feb 28th, 2021 at 4:59pm:
As far as my visceral response to throwing with a Franken-leather boot sling... I really like it a lot. I think that’s mostly because it reminds me of Morphy’s boots

I literally thought that was the reason you made it.

@J That is funny, I watched that documentary and was trying to make a netted sling for the same reason, that they said it only took 30 minutes. They said it was just simple knots, so I'm assuming they already had the string/twine made.  I'm looking forward to your new design.

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 434 435 436 437 438 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15)