Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 432 433 434 435 436 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208649 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #6495 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 4:46pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Feb 22nd, 2021 at 4:41pm:
I understand the use of decoys. But there is no need for that here. You don't understand just how many geese there are here Jaegoor.

See, the troll in me wants to say “You won’t do it youre not down!” But the animal lover in me says, please don’t kill them unless you have to. I get it, easy meat. But animals are incredibly smart. Seriously, I troll, but I loooove animals. And I eat meat. So im a hypocrite as well.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #6496 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 4:51pm

And the sling isn't the most humane. Also, I don't know about all the differing laws, it's in most places illegal or strictly controlled.

Putting on my fancy new Moderator hat just in case younger members or forum readers get the wrong idea about hunting with slings.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6497 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 4:53pm

Morphy it is possible.  It's not difficult at all.  I don't even have to hide.  The sling can even pop.  But you don't hunt birds from the front or the side.  You chase them from behind.  It's so hard for my face.  I can get a lot of stones in the air in a short time.  Hawks often hunt from above.  My stone can do that too.  I shoot from behind at a swarm and over a swarm.  The stone will fly ballistically and make a curve.  Ideally, it falls from above.  The birds won't associate it with you.  You can do it over and over again.  Even children can do that. A shot from the side or from the front is always noticed.  The animals will react accordingly.  So they always shoot from behind.  As simple as that.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6498 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 4:58pm

Oh my goodness, that is utterly brilliant. I never would have considered that. And it would totally work too...

But I guess by saying that you are implying that slinging at them from the front or sides would be silly and impossible. That’s a shame. That certainly destroys my dream of seeing that. I guess there’s no need to continue thinking about it if theres absolutely no proof it can be done.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6499 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 5:04pm

You can see exactly that on the carpet. In many other pictures too.  Even on Greek vases you can see exactly that. I don't have to kill animals to test my ability with a sling.  There is another way.  I am sure that my sling can feed me.  But she doesn't have to.  But I've already done it.  Let the balloons go up, or shoot kites or small toy parachutes.  On the pendulum.  All of this can train their skills.  Go into nature.  Learn animals.  Observe the nature.  And if they have to, they hunt.  But think about what you are doing beforehand.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6500 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 5:10pm

Jaegoor wrote on Feb 22nd, 2021 at 5:04pm:
You can see exactly that on the carpet. In many other pictures too.  Even on Greek vases you can see exactly that. I don't have to kill animals to test my ability with a sling.  There is another way.  I am sure that my sling can feed me.  But she doesn't have to.  But I've already done it.  Let the balloons go up, or shoot kites or small toy parachutes.  On the pendulum.  All of this can train their skills.  Go into nature.  Learn animals.  Observe the nature.  And if they have to, they hunt.  But think about what you are doing beforehand.

Years ago when I was a much, much better slinger lol... I came to the same conclusion. I got to two points at the same time. I got to the point where I could hit a squirrel from 20 ms, but I also realized “why”? What am I proving? Im going to kill this thing for what?

Actually it started with rabbits. I would go to this spot and they were really really cute. And horribly dumb. They would stand there and let me walk up. I have no idea why and Im not making this up. ALL the other rabbits in the area would run away like lightning but in this one area of scrub brush they would let me get within 6 feet. Weird... Anyways I thought to myself, “What, Im going to kill *this?* End it’s life for what exactly? My freezer is full of meat. It’s already dead. Ill eat that.

So I started bringing carrots with me to throw to the rabbits when I was in the area. They loved it. Also saved a baby praire dog but that’s a different story.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6501 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 5:31pm

Having the birds fly away from you has no hunting advantage. It is an ill tactic, the natural result of a lazy preperation.
I can do it too. All I have to do is stand out wide open in the field, just far enough so they don't get scared, so the birds that sit still can see me. Than I sling at them, and they will take off, and fly the opposite direction from me. What advantage does that have? Zero.
Yes, I can take shots over and over again, if I stand far away enough. But for the greatest chance, you want to be close. If you have the possibility to close the distance without being seen, do that. If you don't, you need to get the flock to fly to you. I've had them skim over my head because they didn't see me. That's when I took shots, it gives the highest chance for a hit.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6502 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 6:49pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Feb 22nd, 2021 at 5:31pm:
Having the birds fly away from you has no hunting advantage. It is an ill tactic, the natural result of a lazy preperation.
I can do it too. All I have to do is stand out wide open in the field, just far enough so they don't get scared, so the birds that sit still can see me. Than I sling at them, and they will take off, and fly the opposite direction from me. What advantage does that have? Zero.
Yes, I can take shots over and over again, if I stand far away enough. But for the greatest chance, you want to be close. If you have the possibility to close the distance without being seen, do that. If you don't, you need to get the flock to fly to you. I've had them skim over my head because they didn't see me. That's when I took shots, it gives the highest chance for a hit.

Ok so lets get a productive conversation going here shall we? Here’s my question J. Have you killed any geese this way? Is this something that has been successful on multiple occasions. Because Jaegoor is making some very good points too. What do you think about his idea of throwing above them and letting it hit them on the way back down? It sounds just amazing to me. I look forward to your point of view.

Also, little tangent here... If I was doing that Jaegoor I would absolutely paint my sling stones to look like Perigrine Falcons.  Shocked Shocked Shocked Cool

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #6503 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 2:31am

Jaegoor, I think you are wrong about Bayeux tapestry. The image is misleading because it is a part of a kind of "comic strip".
This image is more telling.
The sheperds  kept the wolves away with a sling, farmers the birds during sowing.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6504 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 3:23am

Jaegoor wrote on Feb 22nd, 2021 at 5:04pm:

I don't agree that you can expect to consistently hunt with a sling if you don't practice it. Balloons are no substitute.
Which Greek vases are you talking about?

It is logical that birds fly the opposite direction when they see you slinging at them, like crows and gulls do when
a boy is trying to chase them away from the plowing and sowing, like on the tapestry. Have you thought about that?
That that might be the only reason? The artists are not the hunters.
But you confidently state this is the way to hunt birds and you ridicule any other way.
I think you are the troll.

sling1_006.jpg (30 KB | 10 )
sling1_006.jpg

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6505 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 3:24am

bird.png (436 KB | 10 )
bird.png

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6506 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 4:33am

Nice that you are starting to deal with it.  A multiple hunt of land and water.  Of course, it increases the chance of success.  And the other guy is Heracles when he was hunting the evil swamp birds.  Often shown with a bow and arrow.  But the picture doesn't show something.  Because he had help.  From the divine Athena.  He had bells or bells from her.  These were from Hephaestus.  And they made such a noise that the terror birds flew away completely and disoriented.  So frightened they were that they never landed again.  Heracles killed only a few.  And that's exactly what the picture shows.  A swarming swarm in a panic.  But they hunt alone.  And maybe they'll want to hunt there again.  So not the best method.  Ravens birds are difficult to hunt.  They recognize a weapon and keep their distance.  Therefore it is difficult to hunt them.  I've hunted like this several times.  I managed about five to six rounds before a swarm was out of range.  So learn to shoot quickly.  You have now learned three ways to hunt birds.  If you add the decoys, there are even four methods.  Others would say thank you.  They call me a troll.  I can live with it 😂

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #6507 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 6:19am

Just for info :

img163.jpg (625 KB | 13 )
img163.jpg

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6508 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 6:42am

I can write just like you jeagoor. You don't know how to hunt birds. You don't know multiple rotations are not required to hunt.
Don't expect dead praise. Others would thank me for it. 😂

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6509 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 7:59am

Some really good points being made. Tombelaine really good catch on the other interpretation

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 432 433 434 435 436 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, vetryan15)