Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 431 432 433 434 435 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208573 times)
Oxnate
Webmaster

Crus de agnus Dei con
quilon menthae.

Minnesota
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #6480 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 12:31pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Feb 22nd, 2021 at 12:01pm:
Those experiences have been good. I have used Balaeric style with thin and moderate slings a lot. It was my main style for a long time. With a single paracord sling of medium ~70 cm length and a woven pouch, using Balearic or Helicopter, I am usually limited to rocks below 125 g when I use multiple rotations, 150g is stretching it, and below 100g feels ideal for pouch orientation control.

The reason I like Greek style aside me being to use a wider range of stone weights in the same sling,
is because to me its ideal for hunting. I view the sling as an oppertunistic hunting weapon.
When I am gathering edibles for example, I carry the sling and some stones with me when I see waterfowl.
I have tried active sling hunting, but it's not productive. 3 days , 5 hours a day nd not a single hit. It was a waste of time and calories.
Whenever I tried Balaeric or Helicopter, it would chase away the few oppertunities I did get. I don't have time to do a wind up.

I take cover in the reeds until the birds are close and then pop up and do a Greek throw. I was lucky once. I tried to get some hits on head cam after that, but no success, maybe I will try it again in the future. I do have some close calls on film.

More success I have with waterfowl that's just sitting further away in a field, chilling, and landing a shot from a distance into the group, these are large groups, often hundreds of birds, and hoping
to get a hit. This I have a greater rate of success with. It's a bit like throwing into an enemy army. Often the birds
don't even know what hit them and I have as many tries and chances as I carry stones. It's a game of chance.
Eventually you will hit one and it stays down. Sometimes they get scared and fly up and you get another chance
to take one down from the sky. But you must not get seen. Geese will not fly over me when they see me,
especially not if I hhave to get up, get in position, start the twirl... it's too slow a procedure for me. I need to pop up
and throw immediately. Greek is perfect

Have you ever tried a bola against birds?  Basically, make three slings and tie them shut with rocks in them.  Then tie all three together.  You triple your chances of hitting a bird with a rock and you get the added chance of tangling one in the string.

Sorry, but it's a pet peeve of mine:  'Yea' isn't the word you want.  It's 'yeah'.  'Yea' is an anachronistic word you see in the King James bible. "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Spellcheck, I shall fear no misspellings for thou art with me.  Thy dictionary and thy thesaurus, they comfort me.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6481 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 12:31pm

This was one of those close calls. It was aimed on only 4 birds, would have been the sling throw of a century.

almost_001.png (256 KB | )
almost_001.png

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6482 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 12:41pm

I am still going to give that a shot soon Oxnate but I have to be more select where I use it. Can't use the bola in the bracky reeds and wetlands,
because I would never find it again. But on farmlands it could work. But the benefit of the sling is that if you miss you don't have to bother retreiving the stone. And I imagine a bola would be more messy if it only gets tangled. You'd probably have to twist its neck. A sling kill is cleaner. If I was dependent on it, I would use the sling on the oppertunities I would not waste an arrow or bola at if I had access to more primitive weapons.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6483 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 2:07pm

I don't see any need to hunt birds with a sling.  Fortunately, it is also banned in many countries.  And the greek style video is a joke.  Sorry if I get clear.  Take a stick.  Also the picture with the bird.  Let it be.  They have very little idea how to hunt birds with a sling.  Definitely not.  I could tell you, but I won't.  They didn't even understand why a multiple rotation is necessary for the hunt.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6484 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 2:39pm

Whatever.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6485 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 2:53pm

Jaegoor, you want to believe multiple rotations are required for everything, fine. I respect your opinion.
But don't tell me ''they'' have no idea how to hunt, that triggers me. Because my stomach said other wise.
As in bird hunting with slings, it's useful for when society goes to poopy.  Then the laws do not apply. Geese are virtually a pest in my country. Their populations are completely out of control.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6486 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 3:14pm

I understand what you are saying J. I really do. But have you thought about the ramifications of those actions? I mean... They know where you live now. And birds...birds never forget...   Huh Huh

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6487 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 3:17pm

No harm, No fowl

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6488 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 3:24pm

I am not an enemy who hunts.  And from my point of view, everyone should practice their skills.  But train your head too.  Study before you act.  There are numerous historical images.  They show you exactly how to do it.  I'll give you a tip.  Look at the slinger on the beyeux tapestry.  Compare it with your photo.  With a multiple turn you have more influence on angle, height and spin.  I keep hearing that wouldn't work.  It works great.  But I hardly saw anything on moving targets and figure 8 here.  I am very direct and say what I see and think.  Does that make you angry?  According to me.  Don't expect recognition from dead praise.  It is worthless

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6489 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 3:41pm

I think it's amazing you can judge so much of my slinging posture and hunting skills from a photo that shows only my hand. I believe you are referring to the photograph I posted in the other thread ''fabric pouch'' ?

The slinger on the bayeux tapestry also. How are you so sure he used multiple rotations? And why care only about the Bayeux tapestry depiction, and not all the ancient Mediterrean sling-bird hunting scenes?

When I hunt, I do it ethically, and seldomly.  I would not consider hunting swans for example, unless it was an emergency and even though I have so many oppertunities to do so. And they are only a few swans here. Because these populations are not out of control. But the geese, we have fields full of them. Nobody cares about the geese here. Ask permission of a farmer and you got it. Is it real hunting? ''Real hunters'' would say fishing is not hunting. I don't care what is definited as real hunting as long
as I get meat. Yes, this is not stalking an animal for hours or moving stealthy through hunting grounds, and taking a shot
at a still standing rabbit or deer. This is slinging at large flocks of geese flying over head and flying over the lands. It's not that hard. I think most here could do it. Doing this, multiple rotations does not work for me. In fact, I think itis ridiculous.
I admit, that what I do doesn't take nearly the skill that would be required to hunt like a ''real hunter''.
But who cares as long as I get food?

I know what works for me. I have no problem with moving targets and Greek style. There is no hard proof that you have more control over angle, spin and height with multiple rotations. It is what you believe through your experience.  You have your arguments for it. I have listened to your videos where you explain your reasoning. Yet I have my reasoning for Greek style and I have my reasons for opting out of multiple rotations, that I have explained.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6490 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 4:02pm

First, to hunt the geese, I want to have them fly in my direction. This minimizes their distance away from me, and maximizes the concentration of the flock.

if I stand in the field, and they see me, they will not fly towards me. The flock spreads out and avoid flying over me. They will fly south, west and east, but not north- towards me.

To get them to fly towards me, I have to position myself to be in the wind. So that when they take off, they naturally fly with the wind towards my direction. It helps to have another person make a noise  on the other side. A team effort greatly increases chance of success. Done this only once. A fire cracker can also work. Or slinging a stone into the flock from a long distance.

I have to hide myself behind cover. It can be a hedge, a tree, bushes, in the reeds, or in a ditch next to a canal.  When they can't see me, the flock can fly over me. I only have ample time to react and sling. There is no time for positioning myself perfectly. There is no time for twirling the sling 3 times. This is not target slinging. I have adrenaline, the noise of the geese. I have to stand up from my cover and throw the stone in a split second with Greek style. This is how I have managed to get geese. It is what further motivated me to study this style.
It's not real hunting? Ok

In my scenario, in my experience, in my set up, multiple rotations do not fit.
Maybe in another scenario? But not mine.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6491 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 4:26pm

Seriously though, just thinking out loud.. I do wonder if its possible to actually hit them in the air. I really doubt it.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6492 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 4:37pm

It's absolutely possible, and easier than you think. One of these days I will get 2 with 1 stone.

geese_flock.jpg (78 KB | 15 )
geese_flock.jpg

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6493 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 4:39pm

OK.  Let's leave it.  It fits for them, so it must be right.  You're welcome!  They only really want to learn if it comes from them.  What does someone else's lifelong experience count?  1 + 1 = 5 😂 Of course you don't see the movement in a picture.  But they don't realize that it wasn't about the slinger at all.  It's about his prey.  Strangely you can see that in a lot of pictures.  From ancient times to today.  And if you look at the oldest sling in the world from America, you will notice that a duck decoy was also found.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6494 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 4:41pm

I understand the use of decoys. But there is no need for that here. You don't understand just how many geese there are here Jaegoor.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 431 432 433 434 435 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Kick, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)