Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 430 431 432 433 434 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2209702 times)
xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #6465 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 2:27pm

Wow Jaegoor, gorgeous glandes and sexy sling.
Is the sling hemp ?
Is the glande , with the flat spot, on the upper right, a casting flaw or a design feature ?
Cheers.  👍👍👍

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6466 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 2:42pm

The sling is made from raw hemp.  The letter has a core made of raw jute.  Twisting takes a while.  There are glandes who have met before.  I am very meticulous when it comes to lead.  Every shot was found with a detector on my premises.  Now I am shooting on a range for old front-loading rifles.  There is a special bullet trap.  A detector is no longer necessary

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6467 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 3:07pm

Smiley

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6468 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 3:49pm

Looks like a joy to use!  Would that be “Schleudernvergnügen” auf Deutsch?

Are you still replacing all the slings that were stolen? Or were those recovered?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6469 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 4:03pm

One was handed in.  The others have now been replaced.  I have good children in the group.  They made their slings themselves.  Now you want to finish more slings.  When training starts again, they want to make their replacement slings available to new slingers.  This behavior is absolutely awesome.  It makes me very proud and satisfied to be able to train such kids.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6470 - Feb 19th, 2021 at 5:35pm

That looks very heavily waxed. Bet it lasts forever. How does the reverse twist act during throwing? Is it just as accurate as your normal slings?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6471 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 2:25am

Reverse rotation?  I do not understand that.  She shoots very well.  The letter is very stiff.  Like leather.  I've already woven it very tightly.  😁 The finger eye is very large.  It is intended for two fingers or a self-locking one.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6472 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 6:53am

Yes sorry, the cords are not braided but twisted? Google translate is having a hard time with that one.

Ive used a few slings with reverse twist cords but never at your level. Does it affect accuracy at all compared to braiding?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6473 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 9:02am

It is better?  Mh?  It's an ideal design for a sling.  Perhaps it would also be possible in a 3⃣ D printer.  😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6474 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 9:15am

It's beautiful as always.

I'm curious- How does a woven sling like this one compare to your hemp balearic slings Jaegoor? Is it comparable accuracy?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6475 - Feb 20th, 2021 at 10:09am

The Balearic sling is much heavier.  It is also suitable for heavier stones.  This one is a lightweight one.  I use them when walking.  When I hunt tree stumps.  However, I don't understand why she should be better or worse at aiming?  However, I am wondering why this design did not exist in the Balearic Islands.  I'm currently researching that.  There is a high braid art with esparto.  I'm trying to make this design with the raw fiber esparto.  However, the letter will then be braided and not woven.  😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6476 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 9:02am

There is a lot of talk here about stiffer and thicker slings being better for accuracy so I was just wondering if you noticed any difference.

I think I'm more in agreement with you of different slings for different ammo. Stiffer and thicker slings may help for large stones but are not necessary for accuracy (IMO).

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6477 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 10:53am

When I use my super light slings with 200g rocks, I lose control over the pouch orientation after the second or third rotation when I use Balaeric or Helicopter. This effect is very easy to notice.  The release and retenion cord cross each other. The release becomes erratic. It's sh*t. No matter how much I try to use my wrist, or how much I separate the cords. The pouch will have a mind on its own.

When I place said rock in the sling I received from Luis I can rotate the sling as much as I want and the cords won't twist and the pouch will orientate consistently upon release. I believe pouch orientation control is critical for sling accuracy.

I regain pouch orientation control with my super light slings by using Greek style, which eliminates the multiple rotations,
and therefor most of the problems associated with pouch control with light slings and heavy stones. Now I can sling 200g
and heavier stones with my light slings without problems or a noticeable reduction in accuracy to me

I prefer this solution, because I notice too great of an effiency decrease with heavy slings. The power required to get the same distance with a 200g rock with Luis' sling feels much greater to me than the power required to achieve a greater distance with a light and thin sling.

I also no longer feel I need a different sling until the stones become heavier than a pound. And thats only because the pouch gets too small. So I feel as if Greek Style allows me to
sling a greater range of rocks without having to swap to a different sling.
A light sling will release heavy stones but a heavy sling won't release light stones well.

The light sling is simply a more efficient pendelum. That it is also simpler in construction is another benefit for me.
All that said I understand why some prefer multiple rotations and their arguments for it, and therefor heavier slings.
And ofcourse you can make a trimmed down Balaeric that's quite light and still has good pouch control with multiple rotations.
People are free to disagree, maybe someone has figured a way to control the pouch with super light slings, heavy stones and multiple
rotations, but I haven't.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6478 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 11:10am

J, what are you experiences with multiple rotation styles with light slings and light ammo?

Say, a paracord solid pouch sling with <80g stone, I feel like such slings have enough twist resistance to not cause issues with ammo of this size, I could be wrong though.

I do like Greek style for accuracy, but I can't get much power with it. There's a video out there of some getting pretty good power with it but I don't have the knack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9PpJ01FTx8&t=60s

I agree a lighter sling is noticeably more efficient and can get better release velocity.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6479 - Feb 22nd, 2021 at 12:01pm

Those experiences have been good. I have used Balaeric style with thin and moderate slings a lot. It was my main style for a long time. With a single paracord sling of medium ~70 cm length and a woven pouch, using Balearic or Helicopter, I am usually limited to rocks below 125 g when I use multiple rotations, 150g is stretching it, and below 100g feels ideal for pouch orientation control.

The reason I like Greek style aside me being to use a wider range of stone weights in the same sling,
is because to me its ideal for hunting. I view the sling as an oppertunistic hunting weapon.
When I am gathering edibles for example, I carry the sling and some stones with me when I see waterfowl.
I have tried active sling hunting, but it's not productive. 3 days , 5 hours a day nd not a single hit. It was a waste of time and calories.
Whenever I tried Balaeric or Helicopter, it would chase away the few oppertunities I did get. I don't have time to do a wind up.

I take cover in the reeds until the birds are close and then pop up and do a Greek throw. I was lucky once. I tried to get some hits on head cam after that, but no success, maybe I will try it again in the future. I do have some close calls on film.

More success I have with waterfowl that's just sitting further away in a field, chilling, and landing a shot from a distance into the group, these are large groups, often hundreds of birds, and hoping
to get a hit. This I have a greater rate of success with. It's a bit like throwing into an enemy army. Often the birds
don't even know what hit them and I have as many tries and chances as I carry stones. It's a game of chance.
Eventually you will hit one and it stays down. Sometimes they get scared and fly up and you get another chance
to take one down from the sky. But you must not get seen. Geese will not fly over me when they see me,
especially not if I hhave to get up, get in position, start the twirl... it's too slow a procedure for me. I need to pop up
and throw immediately. Greek is perfect

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 430 431 432 433 434 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Chris, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15)