Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 424 425 426 427 428 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208550 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #6375 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 8:17pm

Archaic Arms wrote on Jan 20th, 2021 at 3:30pm:
NooneofConsequence, that looks like a good start! What material are you using?

It’s just black and natural cotton craft twine I bought on Amazon. I’m not sure how it’ll hold up, but I hope it doesn’t shrink too much because the finger loop is already a little tight.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6376 - Jan 21st, 2021 at 1:13pm

Chumash sling construction

Chumash_sling.gif (9 KB | 39 )
Chumash_sling.gif

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6377 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 6:58am

7 strand flat braid
hemp
sling weight 20 grams
length 67 cm / 26''
replaceable horsehair tassle (although I don't expect the need to replace, this hair is TOUGH)
wrist loop or double fingerloop
maximum projectile weight ~100g

slinging_003.jpg (456 KB | 24 )
slinging_003.jpg

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6378 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 10:29am

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jan 22nd, 2021 at 6:58am:
7 strand flat braid
hemp
sling weight 20 grams
length 67 cm / 26''
replaceable horsehair tassle (although I don't expect the need to replace, this hair is TOUGH)
wrist loop or double fingerloop
maximum projectile weight ~100g

DAMN! That sling is ready for war!

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6379 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 2:28pm

Most durable and stiff sling I have ever made.

It is made from a 5 strand flat/square/balearic braid, with 5 strands of #275 Paracord, which is the stiffest smallest paracord they offer.
Each strand of the 275 paracord is approx. 2mm wide yet packs an impressive 5 seperate inner strands inside the 32(?) strand roundbraid mantle.

The sling is 75 cm long / 30'' and weights a hefty 50 grams, and is equipped with a wrist loop / double figure loop.
It  will hold  and sling rocks up to the size of a baseball with the pouch angle still giving instant response to the wrist movement with such hefty rocks.

slinging2_001.jpg (446 KB | 24 )
slinging2_001.jpg

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #6380 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 4:25pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jan 22nd, 2021 at 2:28pm:

It is made from a 5 strand flat/square/balearic braid, with 5 strands of #275 Paracord, which is the stiffest smallest paracord they offer.
Each strand of the 275 paracord is approx. 2mm wide yet packs an impressive 5 seperate inner strands inside the 32(?) strand roundbraid mantle.

The sling is 75 cm long / 30'' and weights a hefty 50 grams, and is equipped with a wrist loop / double figure loop.
It  will hold  and sling rocks up to the size of a baseball with the pouch angle still giving instant response to the wrist movement with such hefty rocks.

Very original work, looks like carefully, paracord should be stronger than jute.

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6381 - Jan 22nd, 2021 at 8:36pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Jan 22nd, 2021 at 2:28pm:

Very interesting. Never seen something like this before.

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #6382 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 11:57am

I wrapped release cord with jute winding, it was damaged, it would have lasted for another 150 throws, I have never seen the entire cord damaged along its entire length

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6383 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 12:53pm

Scorpion Vin wrote on Jan 23rd, 2021 at 11:57am:
I have never seen the entire cord damaged along its entire length

I haven't either.  Do you have any videos of your throwing style?

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6384 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 4:10pm

I have decided to undo the 275 braided paracord sling because the recoil was too high for my taste (due to the heavy release cord) and because the weight overall was too great, clocking in to 50-55 grams.  So instead I rebraided the sling with a basic 3 strand flat braid  on the retention loop, cord and release cord, with the 5 strand only starting near the pouch so I get the required strands for making the pouch. The sling now clocks in at a more respectable 35-40 grams, while still having the flat cords I desire. Even though the 3 strand is not as stiff as a 5 strand it is still plenty of stiff due the nature of the cordage used. The other specs are exactly the same. She slings like a dream now.  quite silent too. I think this will become my default sling.

P1232104.JPG (249 KB | 20 )
P1232104.JPG

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #6385 - Jan 23rd, 2021 at 6:48pm

Very interesting idea, also didn't know about 275 paracord.
I'm interested to know why you have the narrower sections on both sides of the pouch. Does it help hold the projectile better or merely a product of the 1-cord pouch design?

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6386 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 5:27am

I like solid pouches but only when they are quite long and narrow. I do not like it when the stone is engulfed by the pouch, this I only find acceptable if I were throwing very slippery ammo like marbles, ice balls, wrought iron balls or lead balls. If I were to throw any of these, I find this pouch is still wide enough to cup and form to hold them securely. But with clay and stone biconicals I want the pointy bits or oval bits to portrude from the the sides of pouch.  The narrower sections on the sides of the pouch give a sort of taper-effect to the pouch. A solid pouch does not have to be as wide on the sides as it does in the middle where the projectile is seated.

Aside from that. this solid pouch is easy to weave.  In all my sling making I strive for no tools except my hands. I don't first braid the sling and then weave the pouch. I first braid the retention cord, then weave in the pouch, then braid the release cord, in that order.
This results in it being much quicker to weave, and I  do not have to cut the cord for the weave beforehand, I can just weave it in right from the spool, so I will never accidentally cut too little cord for the weave.

As of recent I have been preferring solid pouches over split pouches. I like the extra security it gives for the ligher weight ammo that lately has gotten my preference. I am trying to settle for a generic sling design, sling length, projectile weight range, or at least some universal attributes.

IP Logged

Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Reply #6387 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 1:12pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jan 23rd, 2021 at 12:53pm:
Do you have any videos of your throwing style?

No, but it looks like Byzantine Style

IP Logged

Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Reply #6388 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 1:13pm

Close but not quite...  Angry Grin

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6389 - Jan 24th, 2021 at 4:23pm

That’s a pretty small target there Willem. How far away are you throwing from?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 424 425 426 427 428 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Morphy)