Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 423 424 425 426 427 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208318 times)
Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #6360 - Jan 17th, 2021 at 4:07pm

Wish I still had that orange one. It was an outstanding piece for me

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6361 - Jan 17th, 2021 at 7:08pm

Love that orange one. Very nice.

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6362 - Jan 18th, 2021 at 9:16am

Ya I really gotta make another one!
Ugh discipline lol

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6363 - Jan 18th, 2021 at 2:45pm

Another made-of-1-single-cord paracord sling design, below the previous design. This has a wider pouch

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6364 - Jan 18th, 2021 at 3:21pm

Many different widths and configurations are possible, for example here is a pouch optimized for lead projectiles , marbles or golf balls, clay or small smooth stones up to 100 g
It can be assembled and dissassembled from a piece of cord in less than 10 minutes
much better than a plain noodle.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6365 - Jan 18th, 2021 at 4:37pm

You can also just make this deisign in into a standalone pouch. I used natural cordage here.
The advantage of a standalone pouch is that if the release cord wears out, you can twist or braid in a new one.
I will show that in a few minutes

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6366 - Jan 18th, 2021 at 5:23pm

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6367 - Jan 19th, 2021 at 6:15am

Nice, I love the glande too,!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6368 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 9:36am

Ok Jaegoor, I’m going to try your way. 10cm down, and a long way to go! I might be finished some time in the year 2023.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6369 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 11:01am

24'' manila apache sling.

The manila fibre was soaked/disassembled from rope, braided dry then the finished sling was soaked and dried under tension, which is my standard process for sisal fibre slings.

Compared to the sisal the soaking/drying under tension of the final sling has had a smaller, but still noticeable effect. The sling is more pliable and 'flowy' than before the process, but to a lesser extent than sisal is when treated the same way. I honestly don't know whether flowy or more stiff is better in a sling. I feel stiff may have better safety with large irregular ammo, and may be more responsive to pouch angle, but flowy feels really nice, maybe it is better with lighter ammo.

IMG_20210120_154522.jpg (7008 KB | 25 )
IMG_20210120_154522.jpg

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6370 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 2:41pm

You're gonna have too many to know what to do with soon. Do you twist the fibers in the same direction?

I was confused looking in detail at some balearic slings, it seems like the fiber is always twisted clockwise and counterclockwise on either side of the braid, which means that each strand would have alternating twists... When I tried that, it didn't work. I had to keep the same direction of twist.

John R.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #6371 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 3:30pm

J, I really like the concept of a 1 strand sling, and you have made some nice designs. I think that one with the short, wide pouch would look great made from loose fibre. Also an interesting concept having a pouch separate from the cords.

NooneofConsequence, that looks like a good start! What material are you using?

Judo, that is a very nice looking sling! What do you use for the cracker?

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6372 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 3:35pm

IronGoober wrote on Jan 20th, 2021 at 2:41pm:
You're gonna have too many to know what to do with soon. Do you twist the fibers in the same direction?

I was confused looking in detail at some balearic slings, it seems like the fiber is always twisted clockwise and counterclockwise on either side of the braid, which means that each strand would have alternating twists... When I tried that, it didn't work. I had to keep the same direction of twist.

Oh I reached the point of having too many slings a looong time ago Tongue

The twist always goes in the opposite direction to the braid as it comes across. This way the fibres always line up lengthwise down the cord.

Each strand does indeed have alternating twist direction as it moves from left to right and back. When braiding a strand over from right to left it has an s-twist, and when going left over to the right it has a z-twist.

http://www.nordicneedle.net/guides/stitching-materials-guides/threads/s-vs-z-twi...

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6373 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 7:02pm

Archaic Arms wrote on Jan 20th, 2021 at 3:30pm:
Judo, that is a very nice looking sling! What do you use for the cracker?

Thankyou  Smiley
Dyneema fibre, though it's probably overkill for this. The release cord is barely tapered so I'm not expecting much on the cracking front. Still it's the second time using this material in the cracker and I want to practice braiding it in.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6374 - Jan 20th, 2021 at 7:14pm

Quite an experimental one for me. I bought some backpack strap (polypropylene) and wanted to make a sling with it. Aiming for a lightweight all weather sling. The disadvantages are the strap material is quite slippery, and doesn't like being cut (all the weave/weft just slides out if you cut it, and lighter sealing is broken by flexing the edge).

I used an aussie pouch with a short extra piece stitched in between which is then connected to the cords. Because of the width of the strap I chose to use doubled paracord to whip on to (helps reinforce pouch stability in any case). The cords are bound on with artificial sinew and measure about 35''.

I've finally had a go at the double finger loop I hear many on here rave about and so far really like the feel of it. It's quite versatile like this, it naturally synches tight on the fingers, you can also use a single finger in the middle bit and it will simply wrap around also synching around the finger as you pull. If anyone wants to do this fingerloop it's really easy to remember because the fancy bit is just an overhand knot but not tightened.

Also added a kevlar cracker, have to see how much of a crack I can get out of paracord!

polystrap_aussie.jpg (6151 KB | 26 )
polystrap_aussie.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 423 424 425 426 427 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Morphy, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)