Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 422 423 424 425 426 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2227681 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #6345 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 5:23pm

Jaegoor wrote on Jan 14th, 2021 at 5:06pm:
IronGoober

Then you know how to do it Cheesy Wink Smiley

...and now so do I!  Thanks!  I can see why you don't make a lot of these slings Jaegoor.  That looks like it takes a really long time, but it also looks like it's worth the wait!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6346 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 5:53pm

Yes it takes a long time.  And you need a lot of strength in your fingers.  You have to have done it a few times.  It's a little faster with routine.  The material is hemp.  At the end, the entire sling is soaked in liquid beeswax.  Before and after each shooting I use bow string wax for the letter.  Over the years the sling looks like leather.  I shoot a lot.  Therefore the whip is interchangeable.  I do this two or three times in the monath

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6347 - Jan 14th, 2021 at 7:27pm

Wow!  How many shots do you take in a month that it needs to be replaced that often?

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6348 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 4:06am

When I train, it's always two hours.  That's about 250 rounds.  100 shots are documented.  I've created an automatic table.  It automatically adds up all the points.  Even the mistakes.  The program then creates a performance curve.  I've been doing this for ten years.  Since I used to do competitive sports, this is normal.  I am often in the forest.  I have a small course there.  Old trees, branches or small rocks.  The whip already has contact with the ground.  This increases the wear and tear.  The exchange takes about five minutes.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #6349 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 5:39am

That is a glorious sling.
24 strand braid looks hypnotising.
How much does the wax increase the weight of the sling?
Also, how long is the pouch? 6" is usual for me.
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2021 at 9:31am by Archaic Arms »  

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6350 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 7:55am

The length of the letter is 14cm from the knee.  With the belly the length is 19cm.  Wax makes sling a little heavier.  Not much.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6351 - Jan 15th, 2021 at 1:41pm

This is a simple sling that you can make from a 1 long, single piece of paracord
I like it more than the 3 strand sheepshank design, because it has better resistance againts pouch-torque and because its made of just 1 continuous piece of cord.

I was also looking for a fingerloop solution that evades leather. A single paracord fingerloop around 1 finger is not good enough in my opinion, it cuts into the finger and the load distribution is not good. Instead, I simply made the fingerloop much larger and fold it on itself, and now I have 2 loops that I can wear over all four fingers, like I do with my 4 looped Etruscan Balearic sling, surprisingly effective yet simple

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6352 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 8:39am

That’s a nice looking noodle there J Smiley
How does it throw?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6353 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 9:48am

Ever considered making a tutorial and making it the official J sling?  Cheesy

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6354 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 10:46am

Have just tested it with about a bucket full of rocks. Works very good, it really sends them far and fast. Optimal rock weight feels to be somewhere around a 80-100 grams, but it will sling heavier rocks too, even though the pouch is not very wide, it is quite stable.

it slings very nostalgic as it reminds me of my early slings I made when I was 13

The fingerloop solution also works flawlessly. Now it'll find a place in one of my pockets and be my new edc sling

If more are interested I will see if I can make a tutorial but I do not want it named after me

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6355 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 12:50pm

I understand. You're a good man J.  Wink

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6356 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 3:51pm

It can also be made without the weft on the cords, and instead just solely a pouch. This reduces the weight a little, and requires less cordage. It looks very similar to a woven 3 strand sheepshank pouch, or a PJ pouch, but it does not make use of a sheepshank knot, nor is the pouch woven in with a seperate cord. Instead, it is made from just a single piece of paracord. I prefer this method over the peaceful jeffery design.

A 3 strand paracord woven pouch is quite narrow, but remember a sling pouch does not have to be wider than the projectile it is throwing. Such pouch width is workable for rocks up to 150 grams, but that is stretching it. Ideally around a 100 grams is right for this cord size, in my opinion. Then the sling and pouch react very responsive to the wrist.

Why this design? I was looking to come up with a no-nonsense, maintenance-free and generally tough sling that I can put in my pocket, that I can also unweave very quickly if I need cord and reweave if I need a sling. The KISS-method, or keep-it-simple, stupid! method, is the approach I wanted to take. I see it as a ''survival sling'' because in my ''survival kit'' I always have paracord and because they last a long time without the ''hassle of the tassle'' that comes with natural fibre slings. The pouch size is perfect, because I do not want to throw heavy bombard rocks with a paracord sling anyway.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6357 - Jan 16th, 2021 at 4:22pm

I wanted to show how I use this fingerloop. Multiple configurations that result in different cord-width seperation are possible. I love this solution, because it is simple and achieves what I want-weight distribution over all my fingers, while not providing obstruction in my hands (like I get with a wrist loop) for grabbing the release cord.
Note I do use a small overhand knot on the release cord for grip on these paracord slings, but I also grab the rest of the cord that extends beyond the knot.

I much much prefer this over a wrist loop. The wrist loop gets in my way of holding the release cord, and, a wrist loop chafes the finger from which the cord exits as you swing the sling.

In my experience, it feels as if I can put more power into the throw with multiple fingerloops, the momentum of the sling is not pulling as strong on my index and thumb, or on the single finger that holds the release cord, but instead it is spread out on my whole hand. And even if this would just be a placebo, then at least it prevents chafing that comes with a single paracord fingerloop.

cord_seperation.jpg (97 KB | 12 )
cord_seperation.jpg

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6358 - Jan 17th, 2021 at 4:03pm

Nice work with the finger loop design J!!!
I have been using the same concept on my slings to spread the tension between multiple(I settled on 2 fingers worth) fingers and I honestly wouldn't have it any other way.
Take it to the next level and create a separation in the cordage to keep it all locked in place.
Cool pouch too my man Cool

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6359 - Jan 17th, 2021 at 4:03pm

Here's a different along with the same concept.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 422 423 424 425 426 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Kick, Morphy)