Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 419 420 421 422 423 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2227064 times)
Willem208

Slinging Rocks!

South Africa
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #6300 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 7:29am

That looks great JudoP! With regards to the apache sling you sent me for SITH a while back, will it help to soak it in warm water and dry under tension? It is rather stiff and feels a bit bouncy.  Smiley

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6301 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 8:22am

If I recall correctly I think I sent a jute one out to you. I'd say for jute using that soaking and dry under tension process is personal choice because it's not particularly stretchy under normal conditions. It will soften the sling a lot and make it more flexible which may make it slightly less reliable with larger (200g+) rocks I'd imagine. I'm not sure but it may be less tough in the post soaked state due to softness, but if flexibility and flowy-ness is preferred it's probably worth a shot.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6302 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 3:28pm

One more from this Christmas break.

This one is waxed cotton string (I think), 27" (70cm), 8 strand round braid on the retention cord, 2 ply reverse twist on the release cord, jute tab.  This one was fun, a lot of work, and turned out better than the first two woven slings that I made..

You can see where I messed up tightening the warp (there's a wobble), it got so tight, it broke when I was pulling it through.  Given that, and the weakness of this string, I hope this thing holds up.

John R.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6303 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 4:02pm

Very nice work IG.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #6304 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 5:04pm

Really like the aesthetic of the sling. The little mistakes just give it more character!

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6305 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 5:29pm

I love it. I agree imperfections make it all the more beautiful. Man, the amount of warp threads in that thing is pretty crazy. It almost looks like leather by the way the material lays. Very nice IG!

Do you feel like explaining some of the design aspects? For example is there a reason you went with reverse twist on the release cord vs the round braid?  I’ve seen indigenous slings that had a similar design, I would assume to make the release cord easier to replace? How has the accuracy been with reverse twist cordage?

Also, at some point do you think you could make a tutorial on the tabs you use? I’ve been meaning to make my own tutorial. I would love to see what you have come up with.   Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6306 - Dec 29th, 2020 at 7:23pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 29th, 2020 at 5:29pm:
I love it. I agree imperfections make it all the more beautiful. Man, the amount of warp threads in that thing is pretty crazy. It almost looks like leather by the way the material lays. Very nice IG!

Do you feel like explaining some of the design aspects? For example is there a reason you went with reverse twist on the release cord vs the round braid?  I’ve seen indigenous slings that had a similar design, I would assume to make the release cord easier to replace? How has the accuracy been with reverse twist cordage?

Also, at some point do you think you could make a tutorial on the tabs you use? I’ve been meaning to make my own tutorial. I would love to see what you have come up with.   Smiley

I appreciate the questions.

The number of warp threads was very high. This was not by design, but mistake. The first sling I tried with ~1mm thick thread turned out ok though, so I thought I'd try to improve upon the first one.

The release cord was 2 ply exactly for the reason you said, easier to replace. I like the 4 strand round braid asthetic (oops, it was 4 strand, not 8, just strands doubled up), but it takes so much longer to replace it if/when it breaks. Honestly, I don't notice a difference with 2 ply vs braided in terms of consistency/accuracy. As long as the twist is tight. I had a loose twist on one sling that did seem to be a bit more inconsistent.

We should start a thread with tutorials on different release cord termination methods. I'd love to see how others do it as well.

John R.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6307 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 6:21pm

Quick balearic style sling made from cheap polypropylene bailing twine.

35g @ 24''. Feels light as a feather. Polyprop is light stuff and this is definitely on the thin side. You could get some pretty high velocity on throws from this.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6308 - Dec 30th, 2020 at 7:09pm

Very nice!

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6309 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 6:14pm

Double layer leather pouch with sisal braided cord. I'm experimenting a bit with new styles, the inner hole is pretty messy though because I don't have my knife/cutting board at home.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6310 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 7:13pm

Wow you’ve been cranking out a lot of slings lately!  Nice work!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6311 - Dec 31st, 2020 at 9:02pm

I like it.

I don't have too many diamond shaped slings. But I think they might be one of the cleanest releasing full-pouch slings. Your's seems like the best of both worlds (split vs. full) because you have that small relief in the center to hold projectiles better. Looks great too!

John R.

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #6312 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 3:36am

IronGoober wrote on Dec 29th, 2020 at 3:28pm:
One more from this Christmas break.

This one is waxed cotton string (I think), 27" (70cm), 8 strand round braid on the retention cord, 2 ply reverse twist on the release cord, jute tab.  This one was fun, a lot of work, and turned out better than the first two woven slings that I made..

Thats a beauty, well done

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #6313 - Jan 2nd, 2021 at 3:37am

JudoP wrote on Dec 31st, 2020 at 6:14pm:
Double layer leather pouch with sisal braided cord. I'm experimenting a bit with new styles, the inner hole is pretty messy though because I don't have my knife/cutting board at home.

Never seen a pouch like that, it looks cool.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6314 - Jan 6th, 2021 at 3:51pm

Yet another one:

Apache made from nylon 2mm cord round braided between 6 and 8 strand with a permanent core. I like the way it handles, perhaps a little heavy on the release cord though, thinner cord would be more flexible to work with and I have some 1.5mm on the way.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 419 420 421 422 423 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy)