Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 412 413 414 415 416 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2208769 times)
a

a

a
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #6195 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 4:34pm

a
« Last Edit: Jan 23rd, 2021 at 8:05am by a »  

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6196 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 6:56pm

Awesome. Was this a community competition? or a family one? That looks like a nice sling too.. (looking down nose trying to get a closer look)

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6197 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 7:03pm

Great stuff Kilisi!  Tell her congratulations. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #6198 - Dec 5th, 2020 at 8:19pm

IronGoober wrote on Dec 5th, 2020 at 6:56pm:
Awesome. Was this a community competition? or a family one? That looks like a nice sling too.. (looking down nose trying to get a closer look)

My kids and a few from the neighbourhood. As far as I know I have the only slinging backstop in the country, so it's just family and friends.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #6199 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 8:33am

Soon you will turn Polynesia into the new slinging hotspot of the world.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6200 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 3:06pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 5th, 2020 at 1:32pm:
Interesting. I usually go for the 2:1 or as much as 2.5:1 ratio though that is pushing it.

I have plans to make a very simple dart throwing sling basically a sling that throws darts. Nothing new about it really.  But the ammo can't be made in primitive settings making it almost useless for my uses. Still will be cool though.

The other idea that I've been throwing around is the clay glande with sharp flint flakes pushed into the front. If tapered correctly it should do wicked damage on game and that at least would be possible under primitive conditions.

So a kestrosphendone?

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #6201 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 3:10pm

Slyngorm wrote on Dec 6th, 2020 at 8:33am:
Soon you will turn Polynesia into the new slinging hotspot of the world.

I hope not, I don't teach people, just a few local kids have picked it up from watching mine. Don't need these people using slings. Half our murders here are stonings.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6202 - Dec 6th, 2020 at 9:20pm

Morphy wrote on Dec 5th, 2020 at 1:32pm:
But the ammo can't be made in primitive settings making it almost useless for my uses. Still will be cool though.

The other idea that I've been throwing around is the clay glande with sharp flint flakes pushed into the front. If tapered correctly it should do wicked damage on game and that at least would be possible under primitive conditions.

Unless you have a time machine, I can’t imagine many primitive conditions around here where there wouldn’t be plentiful access to materials like road signs or car leaf springs to make darts from.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6203 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 9:35am

I lost the primitive sling I made previously on a field trip, so this morning I fastened together another one with some slight modifications, but now from manilla fibers.

This design is not really about looks or quality. It's an experiment in how fast a good sling can be made from raw fibers. It proved to me how quick a sling could be made in the old days. I also have a few similar like this but simply out of a 3 strand braid and I am undecided what is better. They seem to work just as good as any other sling I have.

Such a simple and primitive design is a huge step up from a ''thong / strap'' sling made out of a single stip of leather or woven material, when it comes to performance in my experience. I can find no true reason to settle for such a strap-thong sling if this type of sling can be constructed under a few hours .  In fact I notice no difference in performance between this and other designs I have with more complex braids, I do notice vastly reduced construction time at the expense of some durability that the more complex braids offer.
However, the durability is still miles higher than that of the primitive braided or twisted willow bark slings I posted earlier.  Those only lasted around 50 shots, they are no comparison, these will last many many times that.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6204 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 10:15am

That's an nice design. It's interesting to see the twisted cords going into a balearic like design. I've also considered trying braiding like you have the split (not sure what you would call that braiding) I've done a few fingerloops like it but not a pouch.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6205 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 2:42pm

That's a nice lookin' sling J! 

50 throws?!  Wow!  I thought it was bad that my jute slings start to show wear after a couple months... which equates to somewhere between 1000 and 2000 shots.  To be fair, I am also using tennis balls, which are not as hard on a sling as rocks would be.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6206 - Dec 7th, 2020 at 5:53pm

Here a 3 strand Balearic from raw yucca fibers that I processed quickly, not very refined but the sling works wonderfully and its quick to make.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

KB
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Baxterville, Mississippi
Reply #6207 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 1:23pm

a wrote on Nov 14th, 2020 at 6:56am:
Morphy wrote on Nov 14th, 2020 at 6:37am:
How's the ammo situation over there Killisi? Do you guys have lots of sling stones in your area?

We use tennis balls at home but we're running out, they split very quickly. I've got about 50 split ones I haven't decided what to do with.

For stones we only use them when I take the kids out and there's plenty around, but difficult to find somewhere for them to sling and the country has been on lockdown 8 months.

Something u may can try with those split tennis balls...
https://youtu.be/tH_GdWUmsNU

In my day we didnt have no fancy schmancy tanks. We had sticks! Two sticks and a rock and we had to share the rock..!
https://www.facebook.com/KalebC.Breshears  
IP Logged

a

a

a
Reply #6208 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 2:51pm

KB wrote on Dec 8th, 2020 at 1:23pm:
Something u may can try with those split tennis balls...
https://youtu.be/tH_GdWUmsNU

Very cool

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #6209 - Dec 8th, 2020 at 3:30pm

Apache with a jute core and acrylic wool covering. Took a long time to make! Now I can finally get to work on the SITH offering...

awool_apache_rz.jpg (296 KB | 17 )
awool_apache_rz.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 412 413 414 415 416 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Chris)