Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 390 391 392 393 394 ... 516
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2203273 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #5865 - May 28th, 2020 at 3:06pm

That looks so good! It's great what can be achieved even with "low quality" materials. I imagine that sling will last forever.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5866 - May 29th, 2020 at 4:32am

Finally finished this twining over sticks sling. I think I can do better but this came out pretty good.

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #5867 - May 29th, 2020 at 3:32pm

That looks great, a work of art. Jute is pretty nice to work with but mine do have a little stretch. That looks like jute to me?

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5868 - May 29th, 2020 at 3:45pm

Tejo wrote on May 25th, 2020 at 11:13am:
Jute rockman. I really like it.

A Jute Rockman is one of my favorite slings.  I has a great feel and is very versatile.  Yours looks just about perfect.

IP Logged

Tejo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chile
Reply #5869 - May 29th, 2020 at 6:10pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on May 28th, 2020 at 2:51pm:
I made this sling out of some old plastic cordage I found. For the pouch I used some cheap fake paracord. It has 5 strands in the pouch and resembles a PJ sling but it has no knots on or near the pouch, it's simply spliced. Knots on the pouch with this cord would be impossible as they would be too big and impede the projectile upon release. It took less than 30 minutes to make. Splicing it creates a very nice flat pouch. The weave has no solid cup to it by default as I like it. It is quite a large pouch and holds tennisballs very well. The sling is short, with a 45 cm retention cord.  I like short slings because I can use them more effectively in my area that is full of obstructions and short slings work better with my preferred Greek style. This sling feels extremely durable.

I like that sling, must be great for throwing big stones.

Rat Man wrote on May 29th, 2020 at 3:45pm:
Tejo wrote on May 25th, 2020 at 11:13am:
Jute rockman. I really like it.

A Jute Rockman is one of my favorite slings.  I has a great feel and is very versatile.  Yours looks just about perfect.

Thank you! Now I'm making another Rockman which will be a little longer.

IP Logged

Tejo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chile
Reply #5870 - May 29th, 2020 at 6:13pm

Kick wrote on May 29th, 2020 at 4:32am:
Finally finished this twining over sticks sling. I think I can do better but this came out pretty good.

Looks good! How long does it take to make one of those?

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5871 - May 29th, 2020 at 7:48pm

@
Kick

Nice sling Kick!

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #5872 - May 29th, 2020 at 9:06pm

@ Kick
Clean weaving! Might take a stab at it myself sometime.
What is the whipping for on the lower portion of retention and release cords?

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5873 - May 30th, 2020 at 6:48am

Tejo wrote on May 29th, 2020 at 6:13pm:
Looks good! How long does it take to make one of those?

Not as long as you would think. I was using the twining over sticks method which is a lot easier and quicker (in my opinion) than standard weaving and gave a really good result. I learned a lot from making this one so know I can do better on the next one.

Archaic Arms wrote on May 29th, 2020 at 9:06pm:
What is the whipping for on the lower portion of retention and release cords?

With making the pouch, I was left with 6 strands on each side, but they weren't long enough to make the full cords. I started with a 6 strand braid then switched to twining two lengths and wove in the loose pieces into the twined piece. There were still some ends sticking out so I just put some whipping on it to stop it coming loose. It also adds a bit of protection to the cords. This is something I would want to change in my next one. I like the twined cords, but the whipping is pretty bulky, inflexible and will probably come loose. Full 6 strand cords would be better, but then again I also hate having to do 6 strand braids Cheesy

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5874 - May 30th, 2020 at 7:19pm

Great work kick!!
Looks beautiful!!!

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5875 - May 30th, 2020 at 9:17pm

Kick do you feel like the flat pouches hold onto ammo well? Especially with the figure 8? Looks great man. One thing I like about the twining is the orientation of the weft threads.

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5876 - May 31st, 2020 at 5:32am

Morphy wrote on May 30th, 2020 at 9:17pm:
Kick do you feel like the flat pouches hold onto ammo well? Especially with the figure 8? Looks great man. One thing I like about the twining is the orientation of the weft threads.

It seems to work fine. This one has quite a small pouch, about 9.5cm by 4.3cm, but, with both Balearic and Fig. 8, there were no problems. It still needs some more extensive testing really but it does have a slight cupped shape so I don't imagine it would drop ammo anymore than any other sling. The next one I make will probably be a little bigger so I can use ammo that is closer to my preferred size, but this one works great and is good for distance shots.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2020 at 11:56am by Kick »  

IP Logged

Tejo
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Chile
Reply #5877 - May 31st, 2020 at 11:47am

Kick wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 5:32am:

It seems to work fine. This one has quite a small pouch, about 95cm by 43cm, but, with both Balearic and Fig. 8, there were no problems. It still needs some more extensive testing really but it does have a slight cupped shape so I don't imagine it would drop ammo anymore than any other sling. The next one I make will probably be a little bigger so I can use ammo that is closer to my preferred size, but this one works great and is good for distance shots.

95cm by 43cm? Thats quite a big pouch.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5878 - May 31st, 2020 at 11:51am

Das Muster wurde in Haithabu gefunden. Auf einem Kleid.
Als Schleuder gefällt es mir besser.  Wink

_20200531_172650.JPG (503 KB | 58 )
_20200531_172650.JPG

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5879 - May 31st, 2020 at 11:55am

Tejo wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 11:47am:
Kick wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 5:32am:

It seems to work fine. This one has quite a small pouch, about 95cm by 43cm, but, with both Balearic and Fig. 8, there were no problems. It still needs some more extensive testing really but it does have a slight cupped shape so I don't imagine it would drop ammo anymore than any other sling. The next one I make will probably be a little bigger so I can use ammo that is closer to my preferred size, but this one works great and is good for distance shots.

95cm by 43cm? Thats quite a big pouch.

Whoops! That's supposed to be 9.5cm by 4.3cm Cheesy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 390 391 392 393 394 ... 516
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)