Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 371 372 373 ... 518
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2209473 times)
Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #5550 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 9:13am

I've given it a go with some wool and then again with some jute and I've managed to get the idea of it. I still would need to work on the tensioning and my hands are a little clumsy. I an see it making a nice cord although I have noticed a disadvatage compared to a lucet. With this you have to have precut pieces or find some way to splice in more material whereas, with a lucet, you can start with an entire ball of material and make a cord as long as you like.

You are a great guy Kick but also slightly scary at times. - Morphy
"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #5551 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 9:24am

Kick wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 8:24am:
That does look good. Looks like it would be tough on the hands though using anyhing but wool. I know wool can make a fantastic material for slings but I'm still hoping to use something more longlasting.

Perhaps you could try Alpaca wool. I believe that it has more tensile strength than Merino wool, if I remember correctly.

And, If it never works out, you could use it for Nalbinding, and end up with the softest hats and gloves in all of Finland!

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5552 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 9:44am

I'm defintely going to keep practicing it. I think it's always good to have a few different skills for doing the same thing. If nothing else it will make for a good party trick Cheesy

"Nothing matters, but it’s perhaps more comfortable to keep calm and not interfere with other people." - H.P. Lovecraft, in a letter to Frank Belknap Long, 7 October, 1923

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5553 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 10:40am

@Jaegoor - Thanks for posting that video link.  I just started trying to make cordage with a lucet.  Literally just started, I've only had two or three sessions.  It's much more difficult than it looks in all the videos I've watched.  I'm not sure how but I keep getting a wrap incorrect and it makes it impossible to tighten things up.  I'm going to keep at it though.

I also want to try that finger technique now.  It definitely looks like a workout for the fingers.  Smiley

IP Logged

fattybones
Descens

That's not hail!

Halifax NS
Reply #5554 - May 8th, 2019 at 5:43pm

Cool finger knitting.  I am always interested in new braiding techniques for jewellery.  It reminds me of loop braiding, which is good for jewellery but bad for slings.  (Maybe a decorative wall-hanging sling.)

I learned everything from this lady.

https://www.youtube.com/user/loopbraider

Also I always use cotton yarn, it's softer than wool and a bit stronger in my experience.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2019 at 7:00pm by fattybones »  

Chivalry!  It's not the law, it's just a good idea.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5555 - May 15th, 2019 at 9:32pm

I bought a new pair of boots yesterday.  In general I don't like the laces that are used in most boots.  They seems to come untied on their own too easily.  So the first order of business is usually to pull them out, and replace them with pieces of leather lace.

As soon as I pulled the original laces out, it only took a second for the thought to pop in my head, "I know what to do with these".  I cut off a piece of some red leather I ordered a couple months ago and put together a boot lace sling Smiley

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5556 - May 16th, 2019 at 1:32pm

Kumihimo Sling. 😁

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5557 - May 16th, 2019 at 1:33pm

😄

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #5558 - May 16th, 2019 at 1:45pm

Nice sling jaegoor!

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

cram
Descens

Reply #5559 - May 16th, 2019 at 2:03pm

@
Jaegoor

where did you learn the braids?  Roll Eyes

It ain't target practice if you keep hitting.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5560 - May 16th, 2019 at 2:45pm

@Jaegoor
That is a work of art Shocked
Beautiful craftsmanship!

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5561 - May 16th, 2019 at 6:06pm

Cram  Ich habe viele Bücher gelesen. Wink

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

TheJackinati

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #5562 - May 17th, 2019 at 1:00am

Cool, Andean-esque Chevron/diamonds and Tibetan-esque Zig-zags... Is this what happens when you bring an Andean-style sling and a Tibetan sling into a room and play Barry White?  Grin

Oh, and I love the pouch.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5563 - May 17th, 2019 at 5:49am

Ob du es glaubst oder nicht. Alle Muster stammen aus Peru.
Kannst du gerne bei Rodrick Owen nachlesen.  Wink

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Kick
Forum Moderation

Finland
Reply #5564 - May 31st, 2019 at 4:55am

I've made 4 new slings in the past week, two for a friend that are very simple, one that's my own attempt at something I've seen before and one that I don't think anyone has made before.

I finally convinced a friend to take up slinging (or at least give it a go)! Unfortunately he lives back in England rather than over here in Finland, so we won't be meeting up regularly but still it's cool that I might brace finally converted someone Cheesy I made him a really simple paracord and leather sling using a pouch that I took off a failed experiment from a while ago. The pouch is great and should ensure that there are few slippages. The other is the super simple single-piece paracord sling which I actually really like as a design. Super simple, slightly better hold on ammo than a split pouch and can be adjusted,if necessary, really easily. He's going to mostly be using tennis balls and these slings work perfectly for them.

The third sling is jute with a synthetic rope end which is... ok. It's got a lot of twist to it in the synthetic end which is more just aggravating to me because I like neat slings. I haven't had a lot of time to test it so I'll have to see if it has any effect on performance but the few throws I've had with it have been pretty good, I just wish it looked neater...

The last sling I made last night and was an experiment. I took two lengths of jute, folded each of them in half, twisted them separately to form two lengths, threaded them through each other at the folded end, tied the same knot I use for the simple paracord sling on each side to hold the end of the pouch and it was done! A super thin, super light, super strong split pouch jute sling. I did a bit of testing and it works pretty well. One problem is that the pouch was large enough for tennis balls to go straight through which I didn't realise at first. I think I could adjust it to fix that, but then again, if I place the ball right, it stops slipping through so it isn't much of a problem.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 371 372 373 ... 518
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15)