Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 ... 235 236 237 238 239 ... 519
Send Topic Print
Pictures of Slings and Slinging (Read 2230609 times)
squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Re: Pictures of Slings and Slinging
Reply #3540 - Apr 8th, 2013 at 12:34pm

Love it. I use innertube rubber from bikes, but it gives the same effect.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3541 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 9:50am

Intifada, great seatbelt sling.
I also like the led-glandes.

Here I show you my newest sling. I looked for a middle eastern shepherd sling and found two online-
shops (holylandtreasures and osmungifts) which sell slings made by bedouins. After printing the pictures
I tried to figure out how they are woven and made this one from jute and cotton.
The cords are twisted, the retention loop was formed by splicing.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3542 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 9:52am

The backside. It`s cleaner than the inside, which had already contact with many dirty stones.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3543 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 11:12am

I would be interested in seeing a step by step tutorial for that, including the coloured stripey bits. Any chance?  Cheesy

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #3544 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 12:10pm

I agree with Morningstar on the tutorial. Great color patterns lakeslinger.

A new update of my most recent synthetic and leather integration. 28.5 inch sling. 6 inch pouch.

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2013 at 1:27pm by HuntsmanSling »  

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3545 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 1:06pm

I like it, but those gaps on the pouch make it seem like it won't last as long.

“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
"You don't think the electricity is off. You check it 3 times to make SURE its off"
"Remember, this is not a scalpel. It is a steel wedge that you will be slamming into knotty wood. Hone accordingly."

IP Logged

HuntsmanSling
Funditor

Sling Maker

Vancouver, WA
Reply #3546 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 1:10pm

squirrelslinger wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 1:06pm:

Thanks. When the sling curves holding the rock the leather overlaps and there are no gaps. Allows flexibility.

"Discipline leads to self respect which leads to courage"

Huntsman Slings available on Etsy HERE
&
seen on Youtube HERE

IP Logged

Tomas
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3547 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 2:39pm

Lakeslinger I think that's so cool to look at a picture and recreate it! Hats off to you and all your beautiful slings!

IP Logged

squirrelslinger
Interfector Viris Spurii

peace through superior
firepower

Ky, USA
Reply #3548 - Apr 11th, 2013 at 10:23pm

HuntsmanSling wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 1:10pm:
squirrelslinger wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 1:06pm:

Thanks. When the sling curves holding the rock the leather overlaps and there are no gaps. Allows flexibility.

Oh thanks for the explanation.
Great idea! I would have never though that would really matter. But it does... Now my leather covered slings will have that.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3549 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 3:50am

Tomas wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 2:39pm:
Lakeslinger I think that's so cool to look at a picture and recreate it! Hats off to you and all your beautiful slings!

Thanks a lot for liking my slings!  Cheesy

When you put a lot of work in a sling like the woven ones and it performs well on slinging AND others than you like it, that`s really a good feeling. This is one reason why I post pictures of my slings. But even if a sling doesn`t turn well in my or others` opinion, there`s always some feedback or ideas for improvement given here on the forum. Another reason is to give ideas and inspiration to new slingers, like it was given to me from the moment I discovered slinging.org

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #3550 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 4:25am

lakeslinger wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 9:50am:
Here I show you my newest sling. I looked for a middle eastern shepherd sling and found two online-
shops (holylandtreasures and osmungifts) which sell slings made by bedouins. After printing the pictures
I tried to figure out how they are woven and made this one from jute and cotton.
The cords are twisted, the retention loop was formed by splicing.

Great! I like this, lakeslinger! A how-to would make a really nice appearance in the "Project Goliath".

Have you made it with "twining of the weft"? And to make the "knitting" pattern you changed the direction of twisting in every new line?

http://backstrapweaving.wordpress.com/tutorials/tutorial-basic-weft-twining/&nbs...; (for a basic how-to)

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3551 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 4:25am

David Morningstar wrote on Apr 11th, 2013 at 11:12am:
I would be interested in seeing a step by step tutorial for that, including the coloured stripey bits. Any chance?  Cheesy

I´ll look what I can do. In fact I have some difficulty to make a photo tutorial, cause I make nearly all of my slings out of home, often making only some steps in the same place. That works well, but is complicated to take photos of every step.
But yes, I plan to make up to three tutorials for this kind of sling.
The simple woven one colour shepherd sling pouch (see http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1172017416/3105 ; reply #3118 and #3119) of which I already posted a drawn tutorial
(see http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1172017416/3150 ; reply #3155-3157).
Then I`d make tutorials for two methods how to weave stripes, the simpler one like it can be seen in the zebra sling http://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1172017416/3510 and the more complicated method with the stripes composed of small "V"s in the last sling.
The 36 pictures for the first tutorial are already complete and resized, I only didn`t find the time to post them yet.
So for the other tutorials please give me some time, I hope, I can do them as soon as possible. We always need tutorials on this forum to learn one from each other.

By the way: I liked the twisted cords you made on your York-sling so much, that I started to learn twisting and splicing. It`s so much faster than braiding and I like the "seamless" look of the spliced parts. At the moment I´m working on two long-corded apache slings, one with twisted cords but braided pouch strings, and the other made of two twisted cords which I overlapped and spliced together to make the pouch. I´ll post them when they`ll be finished.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3552 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 5:15am

Haven`t seen your post, cause I was writing mine the same time (I´m slow in english writing).

That´s great, Teg. You´re the living encyclopedia of braiding and weaving techniques  Wink

The weaving starts like shown in your picture on the top left, but then you have to cross the black and white strings outside of the last warp string and continue the weaving as you wrote with a changed direction of twisting.

On the page you posted the link of, there´s an image (a bit above the half of the page) where you can see two woven rows showing the little "V"s.

There seems to be also a video link for both methods of stripe weaving I wrote in the post before.

Nevertheless, I`ll make a tutorial as soon as I can.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3553 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 8:19am

So here they are, the two slings with apache pouches, but longer cords made from twisted jute.

In the upper one the two cords of the pouch are braided. I started from the release tab which consists of the 4 cord strings and an additional doubled string that was woven in, the two ends then spliced into the cord. Before the pouch 2 folded strings were added, the pouch cords were made as a 4 strand round braid, then I twisted the retention cord using the longer 4 of total 8 strings and spliced the short ends into it. The finger loop was made by splicing, too.

The one on the bottom was made by first twisting two separate jute cords from 4 strands each. Then I overlapped them and marked the pouch section by short whippings on each end. Outside of the whippings I spliced the shorter ends into the main cords, then I made the finger loop the same way. The whippings were removed and the leather sewn on.

IP Logged

lakeslinger

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3554 - Apr 12th, 2013 at 8:21am

Here are the backsides of the pouches, so maybe some construction details can be seen.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 235 236 237 238 239 ... 519
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker)